Linked Events

• Round & round the M25: 05 June, 2010

Author Topic: Round & round the M25 - 5th June 2010  (Read 23806 times)

Re: Round & round the M25 - 5th June
« Reply #50 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:41:22 pm »
I am intending to give it a go, but as it is 50% over any daily mileage I have done in living memory, I will be prepared to do an Oates should the need arise.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #51 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:44:27 pm »
I am intending to give it a go, but as it is 50% over any daily mileage I have done in living memory, I will be prepared to do an Oates should the need arise.

The ride lends itself well to doing 'an Oates', should the need arise.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #52 on: 11 May, 2010, 07:03:47 pm »
For at least 50% of the ride, we're normally no more than 2 miles away from a station, and for the entire southern section the furthest one is about 4 miles.  The only sparse section is around the M11 corridor when you could be about 8-9 miles away from a station.

Just tell me if you need to go for a walk.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #53 on: 11 May, 2010, 08:06:49 pm »

The only sparse section is around the M11 corridor when you could be about 8-9 miles away from a station.

I would hope that one wouldn't be thinking of bailing out at that stage.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #54 on: 19 May, 2010, 02:53:36 pm »
Just spotted this Pollards Hill Cyclists
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #55 on: 19 May, 2010, 09:20:38 pm »
Well that's not much fun - splitting a 160 mile into 6 bits!!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #56 on: 31 May, 2010, 10:02:09 pm »
Following an extensive weekend of route checking, I've made some minor tweaks, and the revised route is here.  148.62 miles with overall about 1 mile of climbing.  So at 1:148 that's a very shallow ride overall.  :P

Although there are some bits of unavoidable A roads, a good portion of the route is on very quiet roads, with some cracking ascents and descents, through some lovely countryside.  At times we do end up out of earshot of the M25, when all you'll hear is birdsong, the buzz of insects and the swish of your tyres.  At other times, we'll be right next to the M25, when you'll be able to play spot the traffic jam.  There are some short stretches of cycle path but they're good quality, and we even get to cycle on a bit of pavement!

If by next Saturday it looks like there'll be a lot of rain, there's no point in doing this ride, but assuming it's dry, start time will be 08.30 at Cotton Lane, just south of the Dartford Hilton next to the crossing.  As mentioned originally, I don't intend making prolonged stops, but I have earmarked a few nice pubs if required, as well as places for uploading/offloading supplies, but it would be sensible if you carry a reasonable amount of food/snacks to keep you going for a few hours.

« Reply #57 on: 01 June, 2010, 10:52:02 am »
May still be up for this, depending upon a few things happening this week and the weather.
My plan is to leave home (close to Basingstoke) in the early hours, ride the Northern section, and meet you after the crossing.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #58 on: 01 June, 2010, 07:10:54 pm »
Sounds good.  :thumbsup:

On that section, the only bits which might not be clear, are at Egham, where the route goes onto the pavement on the roundabout next to the A30 northbound, and then follows the footpath away from the road after going over the River Thames - it's actually an approved cycle route, although rather overgrown, as I had to remove some overhanging branches.  Also, after Datchet, on the B470, you have to go on the footpath bridge over the M4.  Finally, in Leavesden, there's another cycle path here.

My mobile no. is 0784 5986900 if you need it, or if anyone else has a problem.

The weather is now looking perfect for Saturday - high pressure, sunshine, 25°, light south-easterly breeze.  Better slap on the sun tan lotion.

« Reply #59 on: 02 June, 2010, 09:49:28 am »
Is this still on?  I only ask because, if it isn't, I'd rather run a FNRttS on the Friday.

Are you still intending riding from the West? I thought you'd pulled out, but see that was actually Manotea. If you are still up for an anti-clockwise bump-into-them-twice ride I can have a lie in and then meet you at Iver train station.

« Reply #60 on: 02 June, 2010, 01:57:50 pm »
Just seen this thread - I was only thinking about doing it a couple of days ago, I do an east-west side to side most days,  but I may not get a pass for Saturday. If I can, though, I'll be there

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #61 on: 02 June, 2010, 09:39:00 pm »
The more the merrier.  :thumbsup:

(Nice blog - I can sympathise re your pedals - I've done similar).

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #62 on: 03 June, 2010, 03:04:19 pm »
I'll be catching the 07:43 from Woolwich Arsenal (starts at Charing X?), arriving at Stone Cross 08:15.  From there only a few minutes to the start.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #63 on: 03 June, 2010, 08:23:35 pm »
Sadly, due to domestic / family circumstances I'm going to have to bow out of this one.
Meh!
I hope those of you who do it, enjoy it - it looks like a well nice, and thoroughly planned ride!

« Reply #64 on: 03 June, 2010, 08:32:53 pm »
Still up for this, as there doesn't seem to be a western contingent I'll go with my original plan of leaving at oh-my-god-o-clock, and riding the northern section to meet up at Dartford.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #65 on: 03 June, 2010, 09:17:15 pm »
The route proposed goes within 500m of my house... shame I signed up for the Rural South already otherwise I would have been up for this. Oh well - looks like you;ve got a fabulous day for it! Have a good ride all.  :thumbsup:

Martini

« Reply #66 on: 04 June, 2010, 12:33:30 pm »
Hello, I'm a newbie here, among all you experienced cyclists so be gentle with me...I'm only little.
Also, I only cycle in kilometres so would it be alright to join your ride for 140 miles or so..?
I collect my new bike from Halfords tonight.

Have a lovely day everyone,

;)

« Reply #67 on: 04 June, 2010, 01:17:18 pm »
Welcome to YACF!

I'm sure you'll be made very welcome.

So what bike are you buying?

Martini

« Reply #68 on: 04 June, 2010, 01:52:26 pm »
Hello Matt and thank you for your welcome.

Actually, I'm teasing a bit as I wanted to confirm my attendance with Adam - I post 'over there' (CC) mostly (but read this forum).
I'm not buying a bike but have a regulation Planet X sportive - full Ultegra etc,(which is a bit of a tussle for me as I have been a Campagnolo'gist' until now) a Look, a Veneto, commute on a Ridgeback Solo and also a steel Colnago. Like me, the other bikes are in various states of repair - the P-X is so comfortable, I'm sure it will gobble up the M25!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #69 on: 04 June, 2010, 02:14:59 pm »
Inexperienced??

Any time any place??

;D

Your picture doesn't do you justice.

« Reply #70 on: 05 June, 2010, 02:32:13 am »
About to leave home - see you all later!

« Reply #71 on: 05 June, 2010, 03:00:55 pm »
Had to abandon at Leatherhead. I was going to start slowing it down and we were already taking longer that was ideal. I was feeling dehydrated despite drinking loads.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #72 on: 05 June, 2010, 03:51:41 pm »
Sorry to hear that. :(   Now I don't feel so bad for bailing as well.

Yes, it was hot, but I just couldn't climb today and just wouldn't have been able to keep up.

The short bit I cycled was lovely.  I hope we can try this again another day.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #73 on: 05 June, 2010, 04:29:32 pm »
I'm home too - got in about half an hour ago.
The ride was far better than I expected (much more scenic in the non-audax sense of the word). It's definitely to be recommended. It was also really good putting faces to some of the names on here - and, as is to be expected, a great bunch of people to ride with.

I was a bit rushed at the start (some domestic stuff meant it was actually closer to 3 when I left, rather than the 2:30 I thought I was about to walk out of the door). A bit of Garmin shenanigins slowed me down around St Albans, so it was gone 8:30 when I got to the crossing, and 9:06 when I finally made it to the other side. I'd suggested to Adam and the others that they start and I'd catch up. Somehow I managed to shoot past them when they stopped for a convenience store break, so I then ended up waiting for them  :) I did spend the time usefully though, helping a nice young lady who was having trouble getting her tyre back on after replacing the tube. Unfortunately she wasn't going our way  :(

But, other than a very noisy (horn honking) and vocal motorist who was upset that we'd stopped as 2 rows of 2 at some lights we were turning right at, where he was turning left (so wasn't hindered at all by us), it was a lovely, if a bit warm, day out.

I think I got it easier than the others, managing to run off the first 100 miles in the cool of the night, rather than starting out as the day was heating up.

Edit: forgot to say - many thanks to Adam for arranging the route!

Martini

« Reply #74 on: 06 June, 2010, 12:42:50 am »
Yes thanks Adam - it was a good experience. Quite hot actually, but an enjoyable ride until Adam's penchant for lumpy bits and surprise follies began to take their toll.
I stink (nothing new there) I'm filthy (ditto) and I suppose I will go and have a shower. Left Brian heading for the pub as his train wasn't arriving for 25 mins...Adam and I sat on the packed HS1 train to St Pancras, where I decided to ride it back here rather than train it. Got to within 2kms before the rain.
Stair rods - still it cleaned all the road blast from the bike.
Nice to meet you too Matt - (strong boy!)
Stats roughly: 242kms in 10 hrs 15 mins.  2420 metres of climbing. (11, 562 calories burned - or exchanged for a variety of putrid sugary drinks from service stations en route  ;D)
I have some photos which might illustrate bits of the ride - but it wasn't a stop and snap ride.
Thank you all who made it out this morning - except the foaming moton in Egham. "Learn your highway code, it's supposed to be single file!" :sick: