Author Topic: TCR no8.  (Read 85730 times)

Re: TCR no8.
« Reply #225 on: 30 January, 2020, 08:38:58 pm »
Shame you didn't enter!

I was told the same when I got home last night.   Not sure how to take that TBH.

Well there is always TPR open about now.
Sunday deadline - don't hang about! Everyone got in last year, but you have to apply :)
I mulled trying for this one as well as TCR this year but on reflection it wasn't fair on my partner or the knees. The quiet road nature of this event is very appealing for another time.
often lost.

« Reply #226 on: 01 February, 2020, 10:35:39 pm »
Hows folks Winter training going? Long rides? Gym work? Not started yet?

Work has been crazy so I did one ride in January and half a dozen commutes.  And I've not re-started turbo yet. 
So, I've not ridden a whole lot since 1 August last year when I DNF'd in Austria.  Just can't seem to find the time!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #227 on: 02 February, 2020, 05:22:17 pm »
That's called fatherhood right?

« Reply #228 on: 03 February, 2020, 06:33:18 am »
That's a big part of it - that's where most of the weekend rides go.  But, if I wasn't busy at work I would have been turboing through the week and got out yesterday. 
At this rate, I'll have to fall back base fitness and experience...

rob

« Reply #229 on: 03 February, 2020, 11:46:03 am »
They get older and more independent.....eventually.

J did his homework yesterday whilst A went out for a run and I did 2hrs on the turbo.

« Reply #230 on: 03 February, 2020, 01:00:55 pm »
when I'm grumpy about training here on 20 square miles like a hamster in a cage  I'll try to remember you guys inside on turbos in the Northern Winter.
Mind you its been blowing 50 knots all weekend here. Small Island hill training upwind.
often lost.

rob

« Reply #231 on: 03 February, 2020, 01:25:33 pm »
when I'm grumpy about training here on 20 square miles like a hamster in a cage  I'll try to remember you guys inside on turbos in the Northern Winter.
Mind you its been blowing 50 knots all weekend here. Small Island hill training upwind.

It's been a very benign Winter so far - I managed to do 1,000 road miles in Jan.   Must have been frosty maybe 5 times, although I do live in the South East.

Of course I'm not riding TCR so should probably drop out of the thread.

Phil W

« Reply #232 on: 03 February, 2020, 02:34:19 pm »
Yep weather hasn't been an impediment to getting outdoors this winter so far.

« Reply #233 on: 04 February, 2020, 09:00:11 am »

You can stay: at least you are riding!

« Reply #234 on: 05 February, 2020, 11:52:57 am »

It's been a very benign Winter so far - I managed to do 1,000 road miles in Jan.   Must have been frosty maybe 5 times, although I do live in the South East.

No stick around. You are shaming us racers into getting the miles in.
often lost.

« Reply #235 on: 05 February, 2020, 12:41:09 pm »
Anyone have any thoughts on what nonsense I should be writing on the volunteer form?

(Aiming for manning one of the intermediate controls)

« Reply #236 on: 05 February, 2020, 02:41:54 pm »
Say that you'll cycle there. 

S2L

« Reply #237 on: 05 February, 2020, 04:40:31 pm »
  I know I have efficient lungs for getting oxygen into my blood from the Kings College lung function study last May. From a similar starting point on road bike last year I reached 3.3W/ Kg (FTP) by late Spring and hope to do the same on the new recumbent.

2.4 to 3.3 Watt/kg... basically you just lost a couple of stones of body fat...  ::-) ::-)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #238 on: 06 February, 2020, 11:25:08 am »
That's my CP application in. Hopefully Roubaix, my second pick is Austria which I'll partly get the train to so I can be sure I'm there in good time.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #239 on: 06 February, 2020, 11:38:45 am »
That's my CP application in. Hopefully Roubaix, my second pick is Austria which I'll partly get the train to so I can be sure I'm there in good time.

Good man. Thank you.
Assuming a long parcour isn't added at the start then the lead riders should be arriving in Roubaix by early on the second day.
often lost.

bludger

« Reply #240 on: 06 February, 2020, 12:54:02 pm »
Not at all, I love cycling in Belgium and France and really hope I get the spot.  I intend to be sat on my big fat bum eating breakfast pastries and drinking coffee and having a whale of a time watching the rest of you poor buggers with however silly kms left you have to go!

Ban cars.

Phil W

« Reply #241 on: 07 February, 2020, 05:04:12 pm »
  I know I have efficient lungs for getting oxygen into my blood from the Kings College lung function study last May. From a similar starting point on road bike last year I reached 3.3W/ Kg (FTP) by late Spring and hope to do the same on the new recumbent.

2.4 to 3.3 Watt/kg... basically you just lost a couple of stones of body fat...  ::-) ::-)

Nope my weight is pretty stable year round , I don’t have two stone of fat to lose. So you’ll have to speak for yourself.

« Reply #242 on: 23 February, 2020, 10:52:44 pm »
shortlist for the podium looking at his pedigree.
https://www.uba-cycling.de
often lost.

bludger

« Reply #243 on: 02 March, 2020, 04:09:45 pm »
Didn't get my CP spot. Which was a bit of a disappointment as I was fairly sure they would prioritise me since they cancelled the CP I succeeded in getting for the TPR. Ho hum what can you do. I was offered a dotwatching ('level 2') spot but TBH I don't think I can make myself look at dots on a map for 2 hours a day, every day, for a fortnight so have turned it down.

Ban cars.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #244 on: 02 March, 2020, 08:46:24 pm »
Just speaking from my own experience, dotwatching was very unsatisfying (not helped by half my riders DNF-ing!)

Mainly because I enjoy the personal contact of volunteering. You are actually forbidden from contact with your dots  :'(

(and partly because my technology really wasn't upto the job - so it was taking a frustrating amount of time to do the job properly)

That's rather mean not "carrying over" your job-offer from October. :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

bludger

« Reply #245 on: 02 March, 2020, 09:44:40 pm »
Yeah if I'm honest I sort of assumed they'd go and give me the spot on that basis - I had less-than-subtly reminded them of it in my application. What can you do eh.

Ban cars.

« Reply #246 on: 02 March, 2020, 10:09:33 pm »
I've applied for a L2 Dotwatcher and got confirmation that I've been accepted. Look forward to seeing how it works out.

« Reply #247 on: 02 March, 2020, 10:50:04 pm »
Got a place at CP3 in Montenegro. Apparently I’ve promised to ride all the way there...

« Reply #248 on: 03 March, 2020, 06:37:20 am »
Excellent - I'm sure it will be a lovely ride!

I dotwatched a couple of years ago, when I couldn't ride (as we'd had a baby just a few weeks before). 

I really enjoyed it.  I love maps and working out routes, and was familiar with some of the roads used, which helped.  Also, having done the race before, I understood it from a rider's point of view.

I got a mix of people: I was lucky to be given one of the race leaders, I had a couple who were mid-pack, a straggler, a pair and one poor guy whose tracker didn't work so I had no idea where he was until he packed in. 

For me, it was the next best thing to riding.  I really got into following it, especially the battle at the front between James Hayden, Bjorn Lenhard and Jonas Goy.  I learned things that have since been very useful when I have been racing and planning my route that I wouldn't have learned just from doing the ride. 

My lead rider was scrupulous in adhering to the rules, but one of my dots made about 6 infringements on illegal roads.  I spent most of my time on my lead rider.  Partly because it was more important to the race but also because some of the others used a similar route so I didn't need to check it in detail. 

The hard bits are in the mountains where there are often several routes parallel to each other.  And countries without streetview are harder - Germany, Austria, Bosnia, etc - as it is useful to be able to look at the junctions for road signs. 

It took me maybe an hour and a half per day for the first week, then less time as my riders finished or scratched.  I then helped out on a few special analysis projects.

You really need two monitors (or one big one that you can split) so that you can look at maps at the same time as trackleaders / freeroute or whatever the dot is in. 

Massive thanks to everyone who is helping - at controls, dotwatching or otherwise.  If anyone wants any more info or advice on dotwatching, let me know: I wrote a short guide after I did it that I can share.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #249 on: 03 March, 2020, 11:07:43 am »
Could I have a copy please?  I'm not watching but I'm sure it'll be interesting reading.