Author Topic: Pizza steel  (Read 16778 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Pizza steel
« Reply #50 on: 23 May, 2020, 11:00:28 pm »
My oven gets up to about 270C and I do a pizza in about 8 mins
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #51 on: 24 May, 2020, 06:49:20 am »
I should get myself one of those bits of steel. My oven just doesn't get hot enough for that scorched look - instead I have to leave it in longer and end up with a more evenly brown crust. Although maybe it could have done with being in a minute or two less. Still very tasty though, washed down with a can of Fourpure Juice Box...

If you have a decent kettle BBQ (Weber style) those get really hot with the lid on. I have seen pizza steels work really well in those.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #52 on: 24 May, 2020, 08:13:02 am »
We haven't had a functioning oven for quite a few months (new kitchen was on the agenda, but lockdown put paid to that for the time being!). Partner is very much into cooking and has been doing pizza using the pan fry & grill method, but recently bought a tabletop pizza oven. It seems to get very hot and cooks a pizza in a few minutes. We've been eating lots of pizza (and various types of flatbread)...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #53 on: 24 May, 2020, 10:50:50 am »
If you have a decent kettle BBQ (Weber style) those get really hot with the lid on. I have seen pizza steels work really well in those.

We've got a barbecue with a lid and I have tried cooking pizza on it. Works well, up to a point - the lid isn't insulated so you don't get enough top heat. Might be better with different barbecues.

My brother in law has a Roccbox, which is neat, but too pricey for my tastes. I'd love to build a proper bread oven in the garden, but it's been on my to-do list for over 20 years along with many other more urgent domestic DIY tasks...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #54 on: 24 May, 2020, 11:04:49 am »
I fancied one of those Ooni wood pellet ones. Well, we have plenty of cat litter....

« Reply #55 on: 24 May, 2020, 04:13:16 pm »
I fancied one of those Ooni wood pellet ones. Well, we have plenty of cat litter....

That would certainly impart a unique flavour...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #56 on: 24 May, 2020, 05:19:55 pm »
 ::-)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #57 on: 24 May, 2020, 05:55:53 pm »
Sex is like pizza. When it's good it's very very good. And when it's bad, it's still ok.

Yeah what about when you leave it half finished? 

Am a fan of quite a thin crust pizza, neapolitan style.  Tho not to the point that I must have used 00 italian bread flour, but I do like a nice tomato passata.

From the reviews you need the hopper to feed the pellets in to keep the temperature high enough.  Believe that cheapest source of the pellets is plumbase or PTS.

We've got a barbecue with a lid and I have tried cooking pizza on it. Works well, up to a point - the lid isn't insulated so you don't get enough top heat. Might be better with different barbecues.

My brother in law has a Roccbox, which is neat, but too pricey for my tastes. I'd love to build a proper bread oven in the garden, but it's been on my to-do list for over 20 years along with many other more urgent domestic DIY tasks...

As you point out the top doesn't get hot enough, I have a ceramic stone and was thinking of adding an inner dome by either a steel wok as an inner done to see if helps.

Parents have a outdoor oven, no idea if it has been used since my dad died.

citoyen

« Reply #58 on: 24 May, 2020, 06:09:40 pm »
Do you preheat the pizza steel as you preheat the oven or does the steel go in as cold as the raw pizza?

Definitely preheat with the oven. The idea of using a thick sheet of steel is that it's a good heat store.

If you put a thick sheet of cold steel into a hot oven, it will make the whole oven cold.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #59 on: 24 May, 2020, 09:05:01 pm »
Yes.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #60 on: 25 May, 2020, 12:55:44 am »
How long do you heat it up for? I've seen instructions of preheating it for an hour or more, seems a bit wasteful just for a pizza or two.

And how do you transfer the pizza onto the hot steel? Do you need some sort of paddle?

citoyen

« Reply #61 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:18:33 am »
How long do you heat it up for? I've seen instructions of preheating it for an hour or more, seems a bit wasteful just for a pizza or two.

Yeah, a thick sheet of steel will take a while to get up to a useful temperature in a domestic oven.

And how do you transfer the pizza onto the hot steel? Do you need some sort of paddle?

Baker's peel

A flat baking sheet with no rim also does the trick.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #62 on: 25 May, 2020, 03:05:37 pm »
I put my pizza on a silicone sheet and use a baking sheet as a peel. After about 2 mins I hoick the silicone sheet out to continue cooking on the stone or steel.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #63 on: 26 May, 2020, 03:23:05 pm »
Lidl are selling a pizza peel for £10.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #64 on: 26 May, 2020, 03:27:21 pm »
I use an infra red thermometer to see the temperature of the bit of metal in the electric oven.  Then I springle fine or course semolina then put the pizza on top.

« Reply #65 on: 28 May, 2020, 11:28:22 am »
I'm just putting in an order for some steel and am sore tempted to add this 10mm plate..... https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/200130010S__Base_Plate_300_x_300_x_10mm_Square_Edge_No_Holes_s275

That I don't often make pizza? What difference does that make?

(anyone in London interested and fast, I can add one to the order)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #66 on: 28 May, 2020, 01:03:18 pm »
Make moar pizza.

EDIT I failed to mention my aero grade pizza steel  :'(

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #67 on: 28 May, 2020, 05:56:43 pm »
I'm just putting in an order for some steel and am sore tempted to add this 10mm plate..... https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/200130010S__Base_Plate_300_x_300_x_10mm_Square_Edge_No_Holes_s275

That I don't often make pizza? What difference does that make?

(anyone in London interested and fast, I can add one to the order)

The 5mm stuff is heavy enough, and I am happy with. Moar pizza to be made this weekend.

« Reply #68 on: 28 May, 2020, 07:58:54 pm »
innit 6mm/ 1/4"? This is 3/8" and LESS MUNNEY

(ordering up a few bits of steel to stick together)

« Reply #69 on: 28 May, 2020, 08:33:35 pm »
OK you pizzaheads - suggestions needed. It appears I'm doing a socially distancing pizza fest for some neighbours on Saturday night. So far I've come up with Mozzarella, ham, broad bean for one and spinach and blue cheese (hmmm?) for another (guess what's ready from the allotment at the moment? Yes, that's right, the blue cheese mine is producing)

So, suggestions?

« Reply #70 on: 28 May, 2020, 08:36:39 pm »
Peperoni.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #71 on: 28 May, 2020, 08:38:36 pm »
What I have:

Smoked salmon & prawns (w/mozzarella)
Spinach & egg (w/mozz)
Goats cheese & honey
Roasted peppers & fartichokes (the lazy ones from the jar/deli) w/mozz. Last time I put some of my wild garlic pesto on it.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #72 on: 28 May, 2020, 09:13:02 pm »
blue cheese and pear is a nice combo

Tonight I am having sainsbuires sliced chorizo and and old mushrooms to clear the fridge.

Have learnt that the ceramic stone doesn't get that hot as the oven temp is not getting to 250.  Is the something I can put around the temp sensor to fool it the temp to go higher?  It is a pyrolytic oven so the temp shouldn't be a problem.

« Reply #73 on: 28 May, 2020, 09:22:12 pm »
Would just preheating longer not do it?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #74 on: 28 May, 2020, 09:41:41 pm »
Y'see if I have one failure as a cook (unlikely though that may sound) I am incapable of doing other than putting too much topping on. Pear and blue cheese sounds good, but is that ENOUGH ? Ditto goat cheese and honey. There must be other stuffs you can stuff on.