Author Topic: favouritekitchenthings  (Read 29819 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: favouritekitchenthings
« Reply #200 on: 15 November, 2021, 12:12:23 pm »
We regularly take our cast-iron frying pans off the stove and put them under the hot water tap.  They've lasted ~40 years so far.

Fantastic, now put one on the BBQ, get it really hot, almost colour changingly hot.

Then drop it into cold water. Not hot.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #201 on: 15 November, 2021, 02:44:38 pm »
When I had a real job (>30 years ago) I worked in a lab where they tested cookware, which occasionally involved doing just that. The results were spectacular.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #202 on: 15 November, 2021, 02:59:49 pm »
Anyone in the Thermomix cult yet?

« Reply #203 on: 15 November, 2021, 03:40:19 pm »
When I had a real job (>30 years ago) I worked in a lab where they tested cookware, which occasionally involved doing just that. The results were spectacular.

When I've cooked something and the pan has some burnt on bits, I put water in the pan to soak it off.

MrsC always grumbles at me if I do this before the pan has cooled, saying it will warp the pan.

Can't see the difference between adding a few mm of water to the empty pan and pouring in a load of wine halfway through cooking.

Did your testing show that adding water to hot pans warped them?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #204 on: 15 November, 2021, 03:58:21 pm »
Did your testing show that adding water to hot pans warped them?
It wasn't so much adding a bit of water to the pan, more dunking a red hot pan in iced water. I can't honestly remember what the metal pans did but I do remember what the glass (oven-proof and for hob use) ones did (always broke, occasionally exploded). I've often added cold water to hot metal pans and never had any problems.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #205 on: 16 November, 2021, 10:34:21 am »
Can't see the difference between adding a few mm of water to the empty pan and pouring in a load of wine halfway through cooking.

Different degree of thermal shock presumably. The same reason for milk first then tea when making a cuppa. The milk cushions the thermal shock of the hot tea allowing the cup/mug to warm up relatively gradually. That comes from the days when the ceramics used by the working class were a bit crap.
Same with the pan if you add cold wine to something hot your cooking it drops the temperature of what your cooking a bit it doesn't instantly hit the pan with something cold like cold water into an empty hot pan.

We have a glass topped induction hob so I hate warped pan bases as since the glass is perfectly flat they spin round at the slightest touch and are generally wobbly. On gas hobs its not such a big issue.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #206 on: 06 January, 2022, 05:45:41 pm »
Finally remembered to get a photo of this..

Untitled by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

And orange squeezer the we, ahem, “liberated” from a holiday let on Crete about 10 years ago. It obviously wasn’t seeing much use (the target audience for the company was retired academics it seemed) so we decided to re home it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #207 on: 13 February, 2022, 02:15:11 pm »
Recently treated ourselves to a new mixer. The (very) old Kenwood Major is starting to need more and more TLC, and I've already rebuilt its gearbox and replaced a burnt out capacitor or two. I need to recalibrate the speed control board and (re)diagnose an intermittent total failure to switch on, so we decided to splash out on a modern version. The Titanium Chef XL Patissier. Holy chuff.

Built in digital scales, touch-screen control, in-bowl illumination, and warming function! The damn thing will work as a dough-proving cupboard! Fair enough, the old one would warm a dough to an extent, but more as a side effect of the excessive motor heat being transmitted through the gearbox into the dough hook if it was tasked with a whole bag of flour...

'tis a wondrous thing.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #208 on: 13 February, 2022, 02:38:27 pm »
I should hope so for that price!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #209 on: 13 February, 2022, 02:51:51 pm »
I should hope so for that price!

Fair point! As our old Major pre-dates its namesake's stint at No. 10 (or No. 11 for that matter) we decided it owed us nothing and would replace it. And as the lady of the house done got promoted - and as we use the mixer all the damn time - we thought it was a reasonable bit of expenditure to go for a dead spangly one.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #210 on: 13 February, 2022, 10:04:51 pm »
Recently treated ourselves to a new mixer. The (very) old Kenwood Major is starting to need more and more TLC, and I've already rebuilt its gearbox and replaced a burnt out capacitor or two. I need to recalibrate the speed control board and (re)diagnose an intermittent total failure to switch on, so we decided to splash out on a modern version. The Titanium Chef XL Patissier. Holy chuff.

Built in digital scales, touch-screen control, in-bowl illumination, and warming function! The damn thing will work as a dough-proving cupboard! Fair enough, the old one would warm a dough to an extent, but more as a side effect of the excessive motor heat being transmitted through the gearbox into the dough hook if it was tasked with a whole bag of flour...

'tis a wondrous thing.

You are almost set up for domestic Chorleywood Bread Process bread  ;)

« Reply #211 on: 13 February, 2022, 10:32:55 pm »

You are almost set up for domestic Chorleywood Bread Process bread  ;)

Shudder.

I mean, yes, probably could sort of do that, but no, thanks all the same...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #212 on: 14 February, 2022, 07:38:39 am »

'tis a wondrous thing.

Shiny! You will of course already have an anti-walking mat.  A few years back our brand-new Major Titanium walked sideways off the counter when we left it unattended for a couple of minutes as it was kneading dough.  The repair was not cheap.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #213 on: 14 February, 2022, 08:55:44 am »
Right now this is my favourite bit of shiny.

Been looking for a smallish round-bottomed wok for ages.  I already have a couple of flat-bottomed woks but they need a hell of a lot of oil to cover the flat bit and the sides are too steep for the food to stick once it's cooked.  This one took a month to get here but it was worth the wait.

« Reply #214 on: 19 February, 2022, 12:03:20 am »
You will of course already have an anti-walking mat.

For which read "old tea towel".

Aye, got one o' them.

« Reply #215 on: 19 February, 2022, 12:05:26 am »
Right now this is my favourite bit of shiny.

Can't get on with two-handle woks. My folks used to have one, but I need to be able to chuck it around.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #216 on: 19 February, 2022, 10:06:24 am »
Yeah, chucking with a 2-handle is awkward.  Don't need to with a stir-fry, though.

« Reply #217 on: 19 February, 2022, 10:43:57 am »
I've had a Ninja Foodi multicooker for a few months now and it's great. I've only used the oven once since.

The air fryer function has been full of win for cooking small and fast, and sauté -> pressure/slow cook workflows have resulted in some cracking sauces, stews and chilli things in bulk. Crisped kale is no longer the risky undertaking it once was, and tofu has levelled up a lot.

I've yet to nail baking cornbread in it. I suspect the solution there might be to go muffin cases or similar to compensate for heat flows.

A bonus with the shift in cooking habits has been a renewed appreciation for my stainless steel citrus juicer - that's getting a load more use nowadays.

I may have to invest in some TIG welding gloves though - have picked up a few burns extracting things from the upright chamber.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #218 on: 22 February, 2022, 03:49:34 pm »
That's nice to know. I've been impressed by the Foodi videos on YT, but MrsT has been all "jack of all trades and master of none" about it.

How easy is it to keep clean?

« Reply #219 on: 22 February, 2022, 10:22:48 pm »
but MrsT has been all "jack of all trades and master of none" about it.

I think it's pretty much a direct substitute for a slow cooker and a pressure cooker.

The sauté function is okay, but there's not much fine control with the heat - I'm noticing that because I'm only cooking for one, larger portions might lessen that effect.

Baking... Baking cakes I think requires some adjustment to facilitate heat transfer to the inner part of the batter - either go muffin size, or bundt, or metal spike in the middle or pressure cook. I've done that viral feta cheese and cherry tomato bake thing a few times and that's a winner.

Air frying doesn't give you the greasy fried goodness of actual frying, but if you approach it as a compact, efficient convection oven, it's pretty darn cool hot. Aubergines with a fraction of the oil is amazing. Part of a par-baked garlic baguette without feeling the need to cook - and then eat - a whole one is great. I'm batch preparing things like falafel, veggie burgers and samosa and then air frying what I need when I need it. I'm minimising my supermarket trips because pandemic, and air frying frozen broccolli is the only way I've found so far of it not being a horrible mushy consistency. I don't eat much meat, but it's produced some perfectly adequate sausages and a couple of burgers. Quesadilla I'm having to ration myself on and it's best if I try and forget about how easy it was to use some of that pastry-in-a-tube stuff to make pain au chocolat. Pizza is nicely revived the next day. Air fried crumbled tofu as a mince substitute is a game changer!

Steaming. Only tried this once or twice. Haven't got much to compare it to. Broccoli and cauliflower gets air fried now.

Grill. I've tried this once for toast, but have mostly reverted to the air fryer mode as I tend to go more for pitta or corn tortilla. If I'm doing bready bread then it's gluten free and a bit of a weird one anyway, but the time I tried it it came out more dried and crouton-like than Maillard goodness. I've tried provisionally retiring the toaster anyway, and haven't really missed it over the last couple of weeks.

I've yet to yoghurt or dehydrate.

If I moved into an unfurnished flat, I wouldn't be in any rush to buy an oven - the Foodi, my rice cooker and a frying pan set-up would be fine, I think.

I don't have any concerns about the inner pot: that takes very little effort to clean, just the measuring scale on the side is etched quite deep and needs a bit of attention to make sure there's nothing stuck in that after a pressure cook.

The air frying basket thing is still non-sticking, occasionally showing signs of oil depositing on the sides and starting to brown. That needs a bit more elbow grease and the stand thing that snaps on the underside is easy enough to remove - it's kind of annoying having the two parts in the washing up bowl at the same time though! Just weird shapes!

The pressure lid has never needed much more than a swill and a quick wipe so far. You can just dunk that and pull out the the seal from time to time for a proper wash. I'm not doing huge portions, so it's rare for any food to splash up on the lid.

The thing I'm cautiously keeping an eye on is the crisping lid. When the time comes to clean that it's either going to need a pokey thing to get past the safety grill and the heating element, or a security hex key to remove the grill and get decent access.

I'm seriously not missing the clean-up of roasting trays covered in oil, though.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #220 on: 23 February, 2022, 11:14:42 am »
MrsT has been all "jack of all trades and master of none" about it.

That's my instinctive feeling, but my wife got hold of one that a friend was getting rid of and has successfully been using it to make yoghurt.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #221 on: 23 February, 2022, 03:30:22 pm »
Thanks for the detailed reply, Nikki.  We have had a pressure cooker and a slow cooker and given both away. The pressure cooker hadn't been used for >20 years. The slow cooker we bought last year but I found that everything we cooked in it tasted as if it came out of a tin so we gave it to my daughter.  We have an air fryer I'm very happy with but I can't get a whole duck into it so I'd like a bigger one.  The Ninja is about the same price as the Philips XXL, so that's what got me asking.

Air frying doesn't give you the greasy fried goodness of actual frying, but if you approach it as a compact, efficient convection oven, it's pretty darn cool hot. Aubergines with a fraction of the oil is amazing. Part of a par-baked garlic baguette without feeling the need to cook - and then eat - a whole one is great. I'm batch preparing things like falafel, veggie burgers and samosa and then air frying what I need when I need it. I'm minimising my supermarket trips because pandemic, and air frying frozen broccolli is the only way I've found so far of it not being a horrible mushy consistency. I don't eat much meat, but it's produced some perfectly adequate sausages and a couple of burgers. Quesadilla I'm having to ration myself on and it's best if I try and forget about how easy it was to use some of that pastry-in-a-tube stuff to make pain au chocolat. Pizza is nicely revived the next day. Air fried crumbled tofu as a mince substitute is a game changer!

Steaming. Only tried this once or twice. Haven't got much to compare it to. Broccoli and cauliflower gets air fried now.

Grill. I've tried this once for toast, but have mostly reverted to the air fryer mode as I tend to go more for pitta or corn tortilla. If I'm doing bready bread then it's gluten free and a bit of a weird one anyway, but the time I tried it it came out more dried and crouton-like than Maillard goodness. I've tried provisionally retiring the toaster anyway, and haven't really missed it over the last couple of weeks.

I've yet to yoghurt or dehydrate.

If I moved into an unfurnished flat, I wouldn't be in any rush to buy an oven - the Foodi, my rice cooker and a frying pan set-up would be fine, I think.

Some nice ideas there, and caveats.  MrsT would certainly go for the veggie ideas whereas I'm an unrepentant carnivore.  I might have a closer look at the 2-basket model. Though I wouldn't get a duck into that. Rats.

I don't have any concerns about the inner pot: that takes very little effort to clean, just the measuring scale on the side is etched quite deep and needs a bit of attention to make sure there's nothing stuck in that after a pressure cook.

The air frying basket thing is still non-sticking, occasionally showing signs of oil depositing on the sides and starting to brown. That needs a bit more elbow grease and the stand thing that snaps on the underside is easy enough to remove - it's kind of annoying having the two parts in the washing up bowl at the same time though! Just weird shapes!

The pressure lid has never needed much more than a swill and a quick wipe so far. You can just dunk that and pull out the the seal from time to time for a proper wash. I'm not doing huge portions, so it's rare for any food to splash up on the lid.

The thing I'm cautiously keeping an eye on is the crisping lid. When the time comes to clean that it's either going to need a pokey thing to get past the safety grill and the heating element, or a security hex key to remove the grill and get decent access.

I'm seriously not missing the clean-up of roasting trays covered in oil, though.

Gotcha.  I reckon that if we get one a lot of the bits will go in the dishwasher.

Thanks again!

« Reply #222 on: 23 February, 2022, 06:26:13 pm »
MrsT has been all "jack of all trades and master of none" about it.

That's my instinctive feeling, but my wife got hold of one that a friend was getting rid of and has successfully been using it to make yoghurt.

That's encouraging. I keep meaning to try making dairy-free yoghurt ...but forgetting to buy some as a starter.

The slow cooker we bought last year but I found that everything we cooked in it tasted as if it came out of a tin

In what way? Tasting metallic?

We have an air fryer I'm very happy with but I can't get a whole duck into it so I'd like a bigger one.  The Ninja is about the same price as the Philips XXL, so that's what got me asking.

I've got the OP350 model, which has a 21cm diameter frying basket IIRC. How big are ducks? Is that big enough for a duck?

I picked up my Ninja in the Black Friday sales, I think with an additional 1-day glitch extra discount on it, so it worked out at £120 or something. Would have been rude not to. Am definitely getting my money's worth from it. Today was air fried gnocchi.

Some nice ideas there, and caveats.  MrsT would certainly go for the veggie ideas whereas I'm an unrepentant carnivore.  I might have a closer look at the 2-basket model. Though I wouldn't get a duck into that.

There's a guy on YouTube who sets very meaty slow cooks going, climbs a Canadian mountain or two and then gets back to his van for a seriously protein-heavy refuel. It does sound like it does a good job of it! Do you think the pressure cook + air fry options would do better/different compared to the air fryer alone?

Again, it's something I'll try at some point...

Rats.

Something to consider, as food prices increase.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #223 on: 25 February, 2022, 10:31:28 am »
The slow cooker we bought last year but I found that everything we cooked in it tasted as if it came out of a tin

In what way? Tasting metallic?

No, nothing like that, just that all the bits in a given dish tasted the same.

I've got the OP350 model, which has a 21cm diameter frying basket IIRC. How big are ducks? Is that big enough for a duck?

The canette (young female) I roasted earlier this week was 26 cm long.  Dirty lie: MrsT roasted it to my recipe dictated by phone from coffee halt.

There's a guy on YouTube who sets very meaty slow cooks going, climbs a Canadian mountain or two and then gets back to his van for a seriously protein-heavy refuel. It does sound like it does a good job of it!

It does.  Maybe worth another look if we do get a Foodi.

Do you think the pressure cook + air fry options would do better/different compared to the air fryer alone?

Could be.  TBH I've never used a pressure-cooker, but from what I've seen it could be useful to get things under way quickly.

Going to let that all sink in now, maybe come back to it in a week or two and see if I'm still interested.

Cheers.

« Reply #224 on: 25 February, 2022, 05:17:55 pm »
Well, I decided to give yoghurting a try (coconut milk with a dairy yoghurt starter).

citoyen, how long do you let yours ferment for?

I pulled mine after 18 hours - mostly because I wanted to use the Foodi to cook other stuff for a meal!

Now waiting to see how it firms up after some time in the fridge...