Author Topic: Sparkling water - wannabe woke/right on?  (Read 9942 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Sparkling water - wannabe woke/right on?
« Reply #25 on: 05 August, 2021, 10:14:59 pm »
Just squeeze the plastic bottle. Carbonated bottles are noticeably stiffer. I like fizzy water.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #26 on: 05 August, 2021, 10:28:37 pm »
Glass bottles?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #27 on: 05 August, 2021, 10:29:48 pm »
Not much point in squeezing them…
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 05 August, 2021, 10:33:19 pm »
Hmm, I can't be bothered to do the math, but if I recall the reaction of CO2 +H20 -> H2CO3 is quite slow, so if you dissolve CO2 in water then the longer you leave it, the more will react to form carbonic acid.

A lot of my day job is related to this equlibrium. But mostly to do with it going in the other direction and then making CaCO3, so I dunno exactly how long the other way takes. But I don't think it's super long... but then it's happening over geological time scales which I do not need to fret over.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 05 August, 2021, 11:17:05 pm »
I personally do not like carbonated water. I would very much like it if they would have some sort of colour coding or universal symbol to say gas yay or nee...

Can we do bitty fruit juice while we're at it?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #30 on: 05 August, 2021, 11:56:30 pm »
You can tell which is which for a certain Spanish soft drink, thobut, as the non-fizzy version has “Radical Sin Gas” written on it in large friendly letters.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #31 on: 06 August, 2021, 07:52:50 am »
We moved to a SodaStream about 7 years  ago as we drank loads. We have an electric one which has 3. Uttons and is totally automatic. We get at least 60l per canister and I have them on a deposit and return system withe Collect+.
We have 3 bottles on the go in the fridge at all times. One half used, one cold and one cooling.
I reckon we have saved the transport of several thousands of bottles of water and saved thousands of plastic bottles.
I think it is excellent on some environmental grounds if one is going to drink sparkling water.

« Reply #32 on: 06 August, 2021, 09:00:41 am »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 06 August, 2021, 09:10:03 am »
I personally do not like carbonated water. I would very much like it if they would have some sort of colour coding or universal symbol to say gas yay or nee...

Can we do bitty fruit juice while we're at it?
While we're on colour coding, note that the colour coding for milk bottles is different in different countries.

But if you can't give the bottles a squeeze, you can give them a little shake. And if you can't do that, you can read the label. Yes, it's in a foreign language, but if you read it, you will only make the mistake once.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #34 on: 06 August, 2021, 09:15:39 am »
Joining the conversation late:

We faced the same question earlier this year... continue with plastic bottle fizzy water or get a sodastream. We're glad we changed, the recycling bin is much less full of single use plastic and the fizz gets used everyday. West Yorkshire water is lovely.

I remember adding sugary flavours as a kid, and that the "cola" or "lemonade" never tasted as good as the "real thing" (whatever that was). It was the experience of nasty flavourings that left me feeling sodastream was a bad idea... but realising that all I wanted was carbonated water helped me take the leap.

It's the reduction in single use plastic waste that drove me to do this, that the water tastes great is helpful.

Where we live we have several cooperative community shops that do refills of lots of household products, which combined with having a grocery and butcher in walking distance has helped us to reduce waste massively.

Our experience of buying a sodastream for fizzy water has been good.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #35 on: 06 August, 2021, 09:23:06 am »
If your bottled water is "spring water" as opposed to "mineral water", then it's bulk Sodastream anyway. The bubbles and possibly the mineral content are added to mains water.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #36 on: 06 August, 2021, 10:07:21 am »
Some sparkling mineral waters are naturally carbonated, of course - including the aforementioned Badoit.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 06 August, 2021, 10:10:32 am »
Yes, those are mineral waters, as opposed to spring waters.

citoyen

« Reply #38 on: 06 August, 2021, 10:12:19 am »
I remember adding sugary flavours as a kid, and that the "cola" or "lemonade" never tasted as good as the "real thing" (whatever that was). It was the experience of nasty flavourings that left me feeling sodastream was a bad idea... but realising that all I wanted was carbonated water helped me take the leap.

I never buy the flavourings - they're either too sweet, or taste too much of artificial sweetener, or as you say are just poor imitations of the real thing.

However, as previously mentioned elsewhere, I make my own ginger and lemon cordial (sugar-free), which is a great addition to fizzy water, along with a splash of apple juice for a touch of sweetness. But most of the time, a slice and/or squeeze of lemon or lime is sufficient flavour-wise.

citoyen

« Reply #39 on: 06 August, 2021, 10:15:31 am »
Yes, those are mineral waters, as opposed to spring waters.

Indeed, but most mineral waters are not naturally carbonated, which is probably one of the reasons many people don't appreciate the difference between "spring" and "mineral" water.

ian

« Reply #40 on: 06 August, 2021, 10:17:27 am »
Wasn't there a big 'scandal' when Coca Cola debuted Dasani (?) water and it was basically tap water that had been carbonated in a factory?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #41 on: 06 August, 2021, 10:18:57 am »
Wasn't there a big 'scandal' when Coca Cola debuted Dasani (?) water and it was basically tap water that had been carbonated in a factory?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD79NZroV88

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #42 on: 06 August, 2021, 10:52:19 am »
I don't remember Dasani (if it was 2004 I quite likely never encountered it) but I thought that in general spring water meant tap water which had undergone certain processes and been bottled. That video suggests some of it doesn't originate as tap water.

citoyen

« Reply #43 on: 06 August, 2021, 11:10:12 am »
I don't remember Dasani (if it was 2004 I quite likely never encountered it) but I thought that in general spring water meant tap water which had undergone certain processes and been bottled. That video suggests some of it doesn't originate as tap water.

I just checked... OK, I seem to have misremembered... Spring water has to come from a named source, is drinkable from source, and isn't chemically treated, so is NOT the same as tap water.

https://naturalsourcewaters.org.uk/classification/

I do remember Dasani, and ian is right - that was basically tap water, as it says in the vid QG linked.

ian

« Reply #44 on: 06 August, 2021, 11:16:39 am »
Seems they never really hid the fact – I probably remember it because Dasani is a common brand in the US, where it's not usual to buy unapologetically filtered water in bottles, local tap water outside of cities is often poor (sometimes toxic, say the residents of Flint) and you wouldn't want to drink it.

Probably the scandal is that we're willing to pay so much for bottled water in the UK when the tap water here is safe and potable.

citoyen

« Reply #45 on: 06 August, 2021, 11:25:51 am »
Seems they never really hid the fact – I probably remember it because Dasani is a common brand in the US, where it's not usual to buy unapologetically filtered water in bottles, local tap water outside of cities is often poor (sometimes toxic, say the residents of Flint) and you wouldn't want to drink it.

Probably the scandal is that we're willing to pay so much for bottled water in the UK when the tap water here is safe and potable.

Watch the video QG linked - spells it all out clearly and comprehensively.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #46 on: 06 August, 2021, 12:00:09 pm »

I just checked... OK, I seem to have misremembered... Spring water has to come from a named source, is drinkable from source, and isn't chemically treated, so is NOT the same as tap water.

https://naturalsourcewaters.org.uk/classification/

I do remember Dasani, and ian is right - that was basically tap water, as it says in the vid QG linked.
Okay. So spring water is to mineral water as "greek style white cheese" is to "feta"; basically the same thing but without official certification of some sort. Not sure if I'd got mixed up with US (or other) classifications, just misremembered or maybe was being overly cynical.

citoyen

« Reply #47 on: 06 August, 2021, 12:34:01 pm »
So spring water is to mineral water as "greek style white cheese" is to "feta"; basically the same thing but without official certification of some sort.

Sounds about right!  ;D

« Reply #48 on: 06 August, 2021, 01:16:47 pm »
Some sparkling mineral waters are naturally carbonated, of course - including the aforementioned Badoit.

For all Badoit fans, the source water is very lightly sparkling, no real bubbles to speak of, just a bubbly feeling in the mouth, as it were.   When they process, they de-gas it, filter, and then re-gas to get consistent consumer bubblyness.  I'm about 3 miles from the source, and prefer the original source rather than the consumer version. Goes very well with a Ricard....

« Reply #49 on: 06 August, 2021, 03:01:21 pm »
If your bottled water is "spring water" as opposed to "mineral water", then it's bulk Sodastream anyway. The bubbles and possibly the mineral content are added to mains water.

After the tap (or in some cases borehole) water has been demineralised first, so as to achieve a repeatable result.

On topic

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/05/environmental-impact-of-bottled-water-up-to-3500-times-greater-than-tap-water
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)