Author Topic: the big fat lies of Big Kitchen  (Read 3470 times)

Re: the big fat lies of Big Kitchen
« Reply #25 on: 09 December, 2023, 03:11:22 pm »
One drawback to induction hobs is that is something does boil over it gets everywhere and often affects the controls too. Mine only has the boost control on a touch sensitive panel, but if that gets wet everything shuts down until it’s dried. A generally minor inconvenience.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #26 on: 09 December, 2023, 06:51:11 pm »
It's pretty hard to char an aubergine for Baba Ganoush on an induction hob...

(TBH, it's not that easy on a gas hob either, so I usually use the charcoal BBQ for that job.)

ian

« Reply #27 on: 09 December, 2023, 07:14:09 pm »
Pretty much the only way to make aubergines edible is to char them with nothing short of a medium-yield nuclear blast.

Feanor

« Reply #28 on: 09 December, 2023, 08:20:27 pm »
It is The King of Vegetables, for good reason.

Off with your head!

ian

« Reply #29 on: 09 December, 2023, 08:40:54 pm »
It literally only tastes of something if you sear it with thermonuclear fire. There's the classic scene in Terminator 8: What's Cooking? where Sarah Connor tells the Terminator no, let judgment day happen, I'm planning to make baba ganoush.

Another lie is avocado. The average UK supermarket avocado is ripe for 14 seconds. Before that it's rock, after it's slime.

Feanor

« Reply #30 on: 09 December, 2023, 09:49:22 pm »
Another lie is avocado. The average UK supermarket avocado is ripe for 14 seconds. Before that it's rock, after it's slime.

I'd not argue with that.

« Reply #31 on: 09 December, 2023, 11:17:39 pm »
This is what avocados are supposed to look like, and they don't taste of water either:

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #32 on: 10 December, 2023, 12:46:03 am »
At least to this Unit, that avocado looks suspiciously invisible.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #33 on: 10 December, 2023, 01:05:12 am »
It's an http link and most browsers (well Firefox at least) insist on https these days. If you omit the [img] tags a link will be shown that you can click, and if you then agree to use http the image will load http://handsonit.co.uk/photos/2023/Avocado.jpeg

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #34 on: 10 December, 2023, 09:33:14 am »
One drawback to induction hobs is that is something does boil over it gets everywhere and often affects the controls too. Mine only has the boost control on a touch sensitive panel, but if that gets wet everything shuts down until it’s dried. A generally minor inconvenience.

OTOH, when that does happen, it's much easier to wipe up the overspill from an induction hob than a gas one.

It's pretty hard to char an aubergine for Baba Ganoush on an induction hob...

(TBH, it's not that easy on a gas hob either, so I usually use the charcoal BBQ for that job.)

Surely any self-respecting modern foodie has a blowtorch for such tasks?

(In truth, I find it perfectly acceptable to char aubergines under the grill - it would be too much faff to fire up the barbecue specially.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #35 on: 10 December, 2023, 10:02:14 am »
Pretty much the only way to make aubergines edible is to char them with nothing short of a medium-yield nuclear blast.

Aubergines exist for one reason.

To soak up spilt oil.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #36 on: 10 December, 2023, 10:04:36 am »
It's a little-known fact* that the Royal Society for the Prevention of Birbs uses aubergines to clean pollution-befouled seagulls.

* Lie.

ian

« Reply #37 on: 10 December, 2023, 10:12:27 am »

To soak up spilt oil.

It’s surely easier to drink it from the bottle?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #38 on: 10 December, 2023, 05:36:36 pm »
Back in the risotto wars, I'm going to make some tonight. Originally I used to follow La Cloake's version of the bit by bit method but lately I've been using her more recent 'bung it all in it'll be fine' method. I have found I've been making a pile of gloop lately though so tonight I might be trying the bit by bit method again.
Only problem with that is getting it and the halibut to be ready at the same time....

Has anyone tried making risotto in a rice cooker? (Not that I have one, just interested)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #39 on: 10 December, 2023, 06:33:31 pm »
Quote from: Jaded
Quote from: ian

To soak up spilt oil.
Mmmmm, μελιτζάνες τιγανέτες.  Yum.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #40 on: 10 December, 2023, 06:48:08 pm »
Back in the risotto wars, I'm going to make some tonight. Originally I used to follow La Cloake's version of the bit by bit method but lately I've been using her more recent 'bung it all in it'll be fine' method. I have found I've been making a pile of gloop lately though so tonight I might be trying the bit by bit method again.
Only problem with that is getting it and the halibut to be ready at the same time....

Has anyone tried making risotto in a rice cooker? (Not that I have one, just interested)

I always leave my risotto to “rest” off the heat after adding the butter at the end, plenty of time to cook fish. Halibut’s posh! 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #41 on: 10 December, 2023, 07:07:58 pm »
If it’s good enough for Jehovah it’s good enough for Pingus.  Or something.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #42 on: 11 December, 2023, 07:39:50 am »
I use supermarket own brand 'italian style hard cheese' and it is just fine, and actually vegetarian. I get infeasibly cross when the online shopping sends an unadvertised sub of the posh expensive 'real' stuff.

Which you can, of course, refuse to accept. Any subs we get are on the receipt emailed before delivery so we have a heads up,is that not the case with your supplier of choice?
They are supposed to be flagged, yes. But parmesan is one that has been subbed without noitifcation a few times - from a couple of different supermarkets!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #43 on: 11 December, 2023, 04:19:40 pm »
Quote from: Jaded
Quote from: ian

To soak up spilt oil.
Mmmmm, μελιτζάνες τιγανέτες.  Yum.
googol tells me you have a superfluous έ in the second word. But it looks pretty good to me even if I can't quite work out how to say it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.