Author Topic: 500km Essex / Suffolk / Norfolk coastal tour  (Read 1733 times)

500km Essex / Suffolk / Norfolk coastal tour
« on: 12 October, 2020, 05:08:52 pm »
After my failed 400 I’m now looking at using the weekend originally scheduled for my 600 for a coastal tour of Essex / Suffolk / Norfolk over two days.  Possibly as two 250km days or a 300km and 200km day etc. With a decent sleep in a hotel in between.

Not strictly an audax but similar.  For those of you familiar with the coastlines; any places to recommend visiting along the way , any hidden ferries to note, any roads or places to avoid.

Diesel

• or Richard
Re: 500km Essex / Suffolk / Norfolk coastal tour
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2020, 05:19:38 pm »
Take a bucket and spade if going through Walcott! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-54324144

Probably cleared up by now but it was an added challenge on our 600 a couple of weeks back.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2 on: 12 October, 2020, 05:23:23 pm »
I enjoyed Wivenhoe (Essex) for a riverside pint, and Aldeburgh (Suffolk) for a generally quirky seaside town!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2020, 05:24:19 pm »
Take a bucket and spade if going through Walcott! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-54324144

Probably cleared up by now but it was an added challenge on our 600 a couple of weeks back.

Ha hopefully no inland sand dunes surfing

« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2020, 08:17:35 am »
Keep in mind that the Harwich - Felixstowe - Shotley foot ferry was battered by the storm a few weeks back and I suspect will be out of service for some time.

Plenty of other ferry options, Mersea to Point Clear, Felixstowe Ferry to Bawdsey, Walberswick - Southwold 9believe this is one of the last ferry trips that is done by actual rowing)

rob

« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2020, 08:55:35 am »

It was clear on Saturday afternoon.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #6 on: 13 October, 2020, 02:57:30 pm »
Be careful of the comedy off-road that you might be sent down near Minsmere.
There is a relatively well stocked general store in Hollesley if you aim thataway.
Avoid the Orwell Bridge ...
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #7 on: 13 October, 2020, 04:19:16 pm »
Southwold brewery shop!!!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #8 on: 13 October, 2020, 05:09:41 pm »
And the Pitstop Café, by the golf course in Southwold, the only non touristy café I know in Southwold, it's excellent.

« Reply #9 on: 13 October, 2020, 06:36:27 pm »
Walberswick - Southwold 9believe this is one of the last ferry trips that is done by actual rowing)

And the Butley Ferry down the coast between Orford & Capel St Andrew. Last time I did that I called the oarsman late in the day as the tide was coming in quick. When he got to this side a family with young kids had turned up so he took those and left the bikes with us to load on return. Once their and our bikes were on there wasn't much space so I told the ex to hop on and I swam  ;D

« Reply #10 on: 14 October, 2020, 10:53:02 am »
I was on the Butley foot ferry last month with a group of non-audax mates as we pootled round Suffolk. Bear in mind that whislt it's lovely, they were limiting crossings to one person/bike at a time.  If there's more than a few of you that will take a while (it did for us).
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #11 on: 14 October, 2020, 05:15:05 pm »
I’m liking the ferry ideas.

Got a provisional 300 + 175 route from home, hitting the coast near Maldon then shadowing the coast as close as possible subject to suitable roads, and hitting the beach here and there. There’s a seal spot north of Gt Yarmouth, so I’d like to hit that. A Premier Inn Lowestoft, £30, on Sat night then finishing on Sunday afternoon at Kings Lynn. Then train Kings Lynn to Cambridge and home.

I’m thinking midnight Friday start from home giving a late afternoon/ early evening arrival in Lowestoft. A full relaxing evening and sleep in Lowestoft.  Then a 7am start or so, after breakfast for the second leg.

All subject to nights away still being allowed of course.

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #12 on: 15 October, 2020, 10:49:44 pm »
The Harwich - Shotley - Felixstowe Ferry is currently closed due to storm damage https://www.harwichharbourferry.com/

« Reply #13 on: 17 October, 2020, 06:04:54 pm »
The Harwich - Shotley - Felixstowe Ferry is currently closed due to storm damage https://www.harwichharbourferry.com/

Bugger, that was on my provisional route.