Author Topic: Diy by Gps  (Read 16808 times)

Re: Diy by Gps
« Reply #50 on: 19 April, 2016, 09:49:07 pm »
Hi,

I did my second DIY by GPS today and messed it up:

I submitted a route with my online entry and thought the distance was 206km but the RWGPS route was broken in some way and the actual distance was about 186k although RWGPS shows it to be 206k. The route is here:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13189004

It is broken just after 144k - it then 'jumps' to 163k.

As I got nearer to home on the ride I realised the distance was going to be short so took a diversion to make sure it would be at least 200k. The ride is here:

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8593080

Is there any point submitting the actual ride to the Org' or should it be 'written off'? I feel a bit embarrassed at messing it up so don't want to waste his time submitting the ride data unnecessarily as he must have loads of these DIY rides to wade through.

As I understand the rules the actual ride must match the submitted route as it's a 'mandatory' - so maybe I'm clutching at straws (it was a tough ride)!

Cheers for any advice.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #51 on: 19 April, 2016, 10:02:31 pm »
No need to feel embarassed. If you would like the ride validated then the correct thing to do is send it in, make your case and take it from there.

DIYSE Org

Chris S

« Reply #52 on: 19 April, 2016, 10:06:23 pm »
Always worth sending the track in. How busy the organisers are shouldn't be your problem :).

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #53 on: 19 April, 2016, 11:00:22 pm »
My limited experience of several DIY by GPS and the ECE by GPS has been that Auk's validators have universally been helpful and understanding. I suspect that if you try to take the p!ss you will find life extremely difficult, and I'm pleased to say that, cos I want to be entirely sure that everyone who has more points than me earned the bloody things. These people give up their own time for little reward, and they have been there, got the T shirt, so they know exactly the problems you face. I once had to send in two tracks making up one ride cos the batteries in the GPS ran out halfway round, and Martin knew exactly what to do.
I suggest you throw yourself on their mercy. You'll get no favours, but you'll get a fair hearing. Which is how it should be, IMHO.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #54 on: 19 April, 2016, 11:01:58 pm »
Yes, definitely send it in!

« Reply #55 on: 19 April, 2016, 11:09:36 pm »
Rode a spur of the moment overnight 200 on Saturday night. Feckin Garmin crashed at km number 196 and wiped the data. Swearing happened.

Lesson learned; Imma start collecting receipts even on GPS rides.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #56 on: 19 April, 2016, 11:20:52 pm »
Rode a spur of the moment overnight 200 on Saturday night. Feckin Garmin crashed at km number 196 and wiped the data. Swearing happened.

My first GPS rides, the batteries gave out with 10km to go. Made it to Stornoway co-op with 10 mins to closing and the data was fortunately still stored in the gps so ride was validated :)

« Reply #57 on: 19 April, 2016, 11:51:04 pm »

My first GPS rides, the batteries gave out with 10km to go. Made it to Stornoway co-op with 10 mins to closing and the data was fortunately still stored in the gps so ride was validated :)

Recovered the first 51km and took some photos along the way, so sent those in along with descriptions of the toilet in a caravan park I used at 5am and a review of the bus stop I slept in for 20 minutes.

I wouldn't validate me like  ;D

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #58 on: 20 April, 2016, 12:19:23 am »

A lot of these crash-and-wipe Garmin issues can be resolved by saving your recorded activity to the SD card.  DAMHIKT  :facepalm:

My new-for-PBP Edge 1000 seems to be more reliable than my old Edge 800, particularly on the longer rides.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #59 on: 20 April, 2016, 09:07:35 am »

It is broken just after 144k - it then 'jumps' to 163k.

I've seen this before, if you go to the edit page and zoom right in to the 163km marker you can see there are two trackpoints virtually laid over the top of each other and the route seems to be bounce back and forth between the two, for future reference the very long flat bit in the elevation trace is the clue, especially in Wales.

(it was a tough ride)!

I bet it was, that little climb at 46.4 km is an absolute swine, I lost traction and had to use my 24" gear. RWGPS says 18%, I say rubbish, it has to be over 25%.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #60 on: 30 September, 2020, 07:12:42 pm »
(thread resurrection, planning my first dyi x gps)

say, if i wanted to maximise riding in the daylight now and ride a 600 as 300+300 over two days, say 7am to 7pm - is this allowed? the total number of hours would be less than 40, however interim virtual control times might be out of time during the night hours.

rob

« Reply #61 on: 30 September, 2020, 07:40:50 pm »

say, if i wanted to maximise riding in the daylight now and ride a 600 as 300+300 over two days, say 7am to 7pm - is this allowed? the total number of hours would be less than 40, however interim virtual control times might be out of time during the night hours.

You get 42hrs for a 600 perm so 21hrs for a 300.  With a 7am start you have until 4am to finish your first 300.  I’d assume from that that you would need to be back on the road at 4am to avoid being out of time at 301k.  I think some organisers are quite relaxed about being out of time here and there.  You probably need someone official to opine.

FWIW I usually do a 600 as 380/220 or 400/200.  You can set off later Sunday morning and still be in time.

« Reply #62 on: 30 September, 2020, 07:44:51 pm »

Intermediate control times don't matter on DIYs. Maybe double check with your local organiser.

Although even if they did matter, if you set your first control after sleep at 400 km, you'd have 400/14.3 = 28 hours to reach it "in time", which ought to possible at your intended pace.

bairn again

« Reply #63 on: 30 September, 2020, 07:49:55 pm »

Remember that on a DIY ride you nominate the controls, so  the concept of virtual interim controls all being measured at 14.3kph doesnt apply.  You only have to arrive at each of your nominated controls in time, you can leave when you wish and in your example you would leave your 300km control around 3 hours out of time.     

I believe that the trick would be to select your first control point on day 2 far enough in so that you arrive still within time. 

For example you control at 300km, which closes just shy of 21 hrs so thats 0400 day 2

If your next nominated control point is too soon (for example lets just be silly and say 310km) then youre goosed.

However if your next control isnt until much further (or farther as nobody in AUK would say) like around 450km then it closes in circa 31.5 hrs (Day 2 1430) so youve got 7.5 hrs to cover 150km, and the same effect applies as the distance increases and your de facto minimum Day 2 speed reduces.   

I think each DIY organiser can insist on extra controls (Ive heard every 100km talked about as a guide) but Id like to think that in the current situation that your local DIY organiser would cut you some slack and be OK with a ride that had a big gap between a 300km control and the next one (and in extremis possibly even no controls at all between 300km and 600km). 

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #64 on: 01 October, 2020, 04:51:56 pm »
I did a DIYxGPS mandatory route last week, and even though it's a mandatory route, you are still expected to enter 'controls', even though they are not used for anything.
(I just dragged the RWGPS cursor around the proposed route, and selected towns at a reasonable spacing and read the distance off the RWGPS cursor.)

But the entry form is different from the 'Advisory route' form in that there are no boxes to specify the distance to each intermediate control.
Hard to be out of time at an intermediate control if there's no specified distance.

bairn again

« Reply #65 on: 02 October, 2020, 09:32:13 am »
I did a DIYxGPS mandatory route last week, and even though it's a mandatory route, you are still expected to enter 'controls', even though they are not used for anything.
(I just dragged the RWGPS cursor around the proposed route, and selected towns at a reasonable spacing and read the distance off the RWGPS cursor.)

But the entry form is different from the 'Advisory route' form in that there are no boxes to specify the distance to each intermediate control.
Hard to be out of time at an intermediate control if there's no specified distance.

I didnt know that, but Ive only ever done advisory DIYs by GPS which do require controls and distances.  That clearly makes mandatory more attractive to the "2 * 300km" rider of a DIY600   

« Reply #66 on: 02 October, 2020, 09:36:32 am »
I usually just do mandatory DIY mostly because all the bridleways made it a pain to work out min distance and thus avoid over distance.  If you meet a closed or “dangerous” road you can make reasonable adjustments on the day.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #67 on: 02 October, 2020, 10:20:04 am »
Diy organiser confirmed some years back that out of time at intermediate controls is not an issue.

My view is that only manned controls on any events should be time checked,  as you can't always trust the clocks on till receipts.

If you finish the entire route in time and you haven't kept any volunteers waiting,  what does it matter if you were an hour late at the 350km control.

Eddington  127miles, 170km