Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2930600 times)

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #21925 on: 01 November, 2019, 04:41:04 pm »
Whoever is doing the refurb work in the car park of Sytner BMW dealer (Cardiff, Penarth Road) you're a moron.

There was plenty space to put your Herris fence on the grass between the cyclepath and your car park, but no, you decide the cyclepath is the best place for it, reducing the shared use cyclepath/pavement to being very narrow. It would be tight on a normal bike, tighter still with panniers and a trike or trailer won't fit at all. You'd have also struggled to get a pushchair along there and the road is busy enough you can't say use the footway (no cycles allowed) on the other side.

If you want to use the cycle path for your building work then surely one of the lanes of Penarth Road outbound should be barriered off as a substitute cyclepath? :demon:

Also a FAIL for Cardiff City Council for allowing this.

Thankfully, today I was only (a) walking along to get on the bus and (b) very rarely travel from the hinterlands into the big city.

GC

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21926 on: 01 November, 2019, 06:52:45 pm »
Take Photos, send them to the council roads dept, they should not be doing this without making alternative arrangements, New Roads and Streetworks Act
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21927 on: 02 November, 2019, 01:44:14 pm »
Most likely the City Council haven't allowed it, but whether they'll take any action on being informed...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21928 on: 02 November, 2019, 01:52:02 pm »
Surely that is obstruction of the highway?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21929 on: 02 November, 2019, 02:47:17 pm »
Probably council reaction: It's only a cycle path FFS. Get real.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #21930 on: 03 November, 2019, 11:23:53 am »
Probably council reaction: It's only a cycle path FFS. Get real.

The usual response to this is a "Cyclists Dismount" sign.

One of these went up recently on roadworks on Pentonville Rd. I was pleased to see that after a day or two it was replaced by a "Do not overtake cyclists through roadworks" sign, though sadly this seems to be a London-only phenomenon.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #21931 on: 03 November, 2019, 01:22:51 pm »
Quote from: Pickled Onion
..."Do not overtake cyclists through roadworks" sign...
See also Oxford.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21932 on: 03 November, 2019, 01:40:31 pm »
See also Oxford.
And Woking...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21933 on: 04 November, 2019, 09:46:04 am »
See also Oxford.
And Woking...
And Bristol...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21934 on: 04 November, 2019, 10:12:43 am »
I lay that ^^^ one on for myself: get into the middle of the road and don't fucking budge.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #21935 on: 05 November, 2019, 08:57:09 am »
Could you be very naughty, dismount and walk through where you would  have cycled.  After all, it only says 'cyclists dismount', not 'cyclists dismount and pretend to be a pedestrian'.  :demon:
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #21936 on: 06 November, 2019, 11:17:16 am »
Working in an industry where we have a professional body, we have to fill in continuous professional development reports in order to keep our qualifications. Traditionally this just means putting in dodgy entries in your CPD log in the days before Xmas fuelled by office mince pies and chocolate. However now the professional body are cracking down, and employers have a duty to provide CPD. Essentially it just means that a few legal firms decide to put out webinars where they drone over the basics while they plaster their logo all over the presentation and try and soft sell their services, and the management corral everyone into the board room to watch on a projector. Today's webinar was spectacularly bad, and I had to keep jabbing myself in the leg with my pen to stay awake. Even though the webinar was only 60 minutes, it felt like 120 minutes, and I entered it as such on my CPD log. If they question it, I will ask them to sit through the webinar themselves and give an estimate on the time...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21937 on: 06 November, 2019, 01:33:49 pm »

« Reply #21938 on: 14 November, 2019, 12:03:53 pm »
Our local GP surgery morphed some time ago into one of the new model  NHS doctor practice groupings with quasi commercial front end  branding. Ever since it has become impossible to contact them by phone. I had occasion to ring them last week. There were 23 calls in front of me. Demand is rising rapidly due to significant local housing development. Their phone  system has no call back provision or messaging/text facility. If you work full time and cannot get into a surgery to make an appointment you have no chance.  If and when you do get through there is a question and answer session to determine if you need to see a doctor, which is fair enough. Standard appointment timescales are around the three weeks mark.   Quite how they obtain their inspection 'good' rating I do not know but I suspect inspectors are provided with a direct line for access purposes.  Reception staff whilst pleasant enough, don't seem very knowledgeable and their systems do not seem to flag answers to mundane queries so they have to refer matters to 'management' with the patient being told to ring back. mmm. The doctors are really good if you can actually get to see one.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ian

« Reply #21939 on: 14 November, 2019, 12:36:04 pm »
Sadly that seems to be a thing - demand management through making it more difficult to see a GP. I have up on the last two attempts to see a GP. It's the same system, call up and hope someone eventually answers (which they don't, at least within the timescale I operate on). There's an online booking system but I need to go to the surgery and get the paperwork (which I've not yet done as it'd take a special trip), nor am I optimistic there won't be some issue that means I can't simply book an appointment.

To be fair, I suppose this works in a way, most of the things that take us to the GP are self-limiting and get better on their own, and the waiting room generally seems to be filled with mothers whose kid has a cold or sore throat. But longer-term, discouraging people from interfacing with primary care is a bad idea of lots of reasons, most of them involving more significant, expensive interventions later.

It all seems to be a bit ad-hoc and messy to be honest.

fuzzy

« Reply #21940 on: 14 November, 2019, 10:51:22 pm »
Population control. If you can't see the doc you will either recover on your own or die.

ian

« Reply #21941 on: 14 November, 2019, 11:04:07 pm »
Unfortunately you tend to die slowly and expensively.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21942 on: 17 November, 2019, 04:05:30 pm »
Leaf blowers.

Leaf blowers, leaf blowers, leaf blowers. Bloody noisy stinky messy way to spread leaves across a road. And to wake people up at 0830 on a Sunday morning. Bloody leaf blowers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21943 on: 17 November, 2019, 04:11:06 pm »
If they were electric, not only would they be quieter, it would be easier to reverse the polarity and potentially make them useful.

My favourite is people using leaf blowers when there's a sufficiency of wind blowing the leaves in the other direction.  What do they think they're going to achieve?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21944 on: 17 November, 2019, 04:30:54 pm »
My favourite is people using leaf blowers when there's a sufficiency of wind blowing the leaves in the other direction.  What do they think they're going to achieve?
Work for which they will be paid.

« Reply #21945 on: 17 November, 2019, 04:33:27 pm »
If they were electric, not only would they be quieter, it would be easier to reverse the polarity and potentially make them useful.

Sadly not. Our neighbour has an electric garden “vacuum” that can be reversed to make it a blower. It’s irritatingly noisy (like him and all his other garden gadgets!) and ineffective - I borrowed it once to try and collect all the sawdust that had accumulated like snow in our garden after the other neighbour had had a 30m leylandii cut down.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #21946 on: 18 November, 2019, 04:08:54 am »
British Airways for not only stiffing me £40 to put a bag in the hold but then losing that bag somewhere between London and Philadelphia. I also stupidly put my charger and cables in that bag.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #21947 on: 18 November, 2019, 09:49:53 pm »
Rixen & Kaul, whose almost entirely reliable product induces a potentially false sense of confidence in the security of one's pannier. Also myself for not noticing the sudden absence of the bag anywhere in the 8 miles between work and the front door here.

Wallet, phone -- with photos, especially of the smaller Sprocket's first 9 months,  work phone, wedding ring. Sad now.
Not especially helpful or mature

ian

« Reply #21948 on: 18 November, 2019, 10:53:02 pm »
British Airways for not only stiffing me £40 to put a bag in the hold but then losing that bag somewhere between London and Philadelphia. I also stupidly put my charger and cables in that bag.

And when I finally get through for an update...

They also managed to lose the missing bag report.

Who says the Americans don't do irony.

I suppose I should declare an underpant emergency and go shopping.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #21949 on: 19 November, 2019, 07:28:35 am »
Wallet, phone -- with photos, especially of the smaller Sprocket's first 9 months,  work phone, wedding ring. Sad now.
Fingers crossed that you get it back.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?