Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Audax / Re: Hanze 6-9-6 Netherlands (1200 or 2100km)
« Last post by quixoticgeek on Today at 03:16:48 am »

As the thread about steady Vs flashing lights on AUK rides made me think of it.

Don't forget that for riding in Germany, flashing lights are not allowed.

You may also want to think about stvzo compliance wrt your lighting setup.

Also bear in mind the requirements for reflectors in Germany.

Doubt RNL are policing this. But it's not an argument you want to have with German police in the middle of the night.

Plenty of time to play with and test your lighting setup.

J

A cat eye Omni 3 claims 100 hours in steady ...

The B&M secular permanent has a 25 hour run time...

The former is enough to keep the light on even in day light during a 1200. The later will give you 3 8 hour nights worth.

Maybe if you're using tiddly usb lights that are designed for commuting, then you might have to worry about battery life. But for not that much money (esp given all the other costs of an Audax) (cat eye omni 3 is €14), you can have a light that gives you a run time well in excess of your ride length. And if you're that worried about battery life, dynamos...

In terms of rides, my record for a 200 without seeing any other rider is about 12 hours... Of which 5 were spent in the dark.

If people are worried about visibility, I would offer that pedal reflectors offer bigger bang for your buck than a flashing rear light. Ditto wheel reflectors. A nice feature of the B&M mentioned above is the integral reflector. cat eye also make one with a built in reflector called the reflex auto (TL-LD570-R), which also complies with the British standard for bike reflectors. Which is not a common feature.

Personally my rear lighting setup consists of a b&M secular dynamo on the left seat stay, a secular permanent on the right seat stay, a reflex auto on the seat post, and a pair of Omni 3's on the back of my tailfin. Depending on conditions, I'll have anything from 1 to 5 of them on. Usually only the dynamo. In fact the only time I've put all 5 on was when I accidentally ended up on an 80kph main road in Germany on the evening of Christmas day. Which was bloody stupid place to ride.

Flashing lights on group rides is just antisocial. We shouldn't need rules about, just general politeness and thinking of your fellow riders should be enough.

J
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Last post by Jakob on Today at 02:49:16 am »
"Anatomy of a Fall"
Really enjoyed this. Still not sure of the outcome, but that's ok.
OT Knowledge / Re: Anglepoise refurbishment
« Last post by Italiastar on Today at 12:27:25 am »
Collectors item. Deffo.
I have some Anglepoise nut-and-bolt-ery, sitting in a drawer.
If you need it.

ETA - I'd get the shade shot / bead blasted, before having it stove enamelled.
LED blubs are the future....

Hi, do you still have the parts - I have two lamps missing minor parts - willing to buy them from you if you have them. Thx
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by Robh on Yesterday at 11:24:08 pm »
Saturday Night - The Eagles
Health & Fitness / Re: Cross Training: Running
« Last post by Feanor on Yesterday at 10:23:40 pm »
Did a 15k hill route today; the route of the medium distance option of the 'Illuminator' night-time hill race.
There was rather more Sno than I'd expected!

https://www.strava.com/activities/11055086099
Audax / Re: Steady lights on on calendar events - resolution for AUK AGM
« Last post by Hot Flatus on Yesterday at 10:17:19 pm »
In terms of rechargeables, you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between a rear light bought today and one bought 10+ years ago.

Other than the tripling of light output for the same price.
£25 now buys a 300l tail light.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Last post by Kim on Yesterday at 10:16:08 pm »
I just finished The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi.  Clearly well-researched, but suffers from a lack of characters.  Would probably make a good action movie.

(click to show/hide)
The Pub / Re: Spalding: Pavement pizzas and badly wrapped kebabs.
« Last post by ElyDave on Yesterday at 09:48:22 pm »
<terrible old joke mode>
Do you like Spalding?
</terrible old joke mode>

I don't know, I've never Spalded
Audax / Re: Steady lights on on calendar events - resolution for AUK AGM
« Last post by Peter on Yesterday at 09:47:33 pm »
I haven't needed anything that's had a long run time for some time (unfortunately) but I have had a couple of the Smart lights in the past and found them pretty good though the "clip" cracked on at least one of them.  The tech for bike lamps has definitely come on leaps and bounds in the last few years.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10