Author Topic: 2023 Wessex SR  (Read 10105 times)

Re: 2023 Wessex SR
« Reply #75 on: 04 April, 2024, 08:29:44 pm »
not received any email, or up to date routesheet / gpx for the Hard Boiled yet ... it'll all be in hand

yup - hanging around a freezing Poole station waiting for the off at 2am is all part of the Hard Boiled's charm  :thumbsup:

can't wait !

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #76 on: 05 April, 2024, 10:04:27 am »
I've not done any of the Wessex rides before but am signed up for Hard Boiled. Not sure how to deal with the 2am start but I guess just travel down accepting no sleep and wing it from there  :-\

Has anyone received a pre-event email yet? The event page says a GPX file will be provided, is this the case? If not I'll set aside some time for constructing one from the route sheet.

Going to be an adventure one way or another!  :)

either nap before travelling down, or travel down early and get a room. I have a room booked for friday and saturday as I am on the dorset coast as well. It's odd to leave the room at 1:45 to go to the start, but if you check in early there is still time for 6 hours sleep before the ride

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #77 on: 14 April, 2024, 11:44:23 am »
Thanks everyone involved yesterday, that was indeed a brilliant adventure! Very benign weather helped enormously, it never really got cold during the night and then very pleasant during the day.

Good luck to all at Dorset Coast today  :thumbsup:

« Reply #78 on: 15 April, 2024, 07:55:22 am »
Lots of people DNSd the Dorset Coast after finishing Hardboiled.
Maybe we need to run the Dorset Ghost?
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=91191.msg2888073#msg2888073

« Reply #79 on: 15 April, 2024, 05:43:14 pm »
Well that was fun yet again, perfect weather all weekend, some great views on the way round both rides, really good crowd on the hardboiled, unfortunately the Dorset coast seems to have attracted too many cycling idiots, such is life!!!

Thanks to Pete and the team for a great weekend yet again.

« Reply #80 on: 15 April, 2024, 10:56:40 pm »
Well that was fun yet again, perfect weather all weekend, some great views on the way round both rides, really good crowd on the hardboiled, unfortunately the Dorset coast seems to have attracted too many cycling idiots, such is life!!!

Thanks to Pete and the team for a great weekend yet again.

The Dorset Coast has always attracted entrants without a clue (as I remember from controlling at Axminster in the 90s).  What's worrying is that the VoR, the previous day, was over-subscribed for the first time ever.  Checking through I find that nearly half the entries were from non-members.  That explains the lack of knowledge displayed by some.  Worrying though - I prefer to deal with experienced, competent riders and leave the newbies to other organisers.  Sorry if that sounds selfish.

« Reply #81 on: 16 April, 2024, 09:38:29 am »
No, it sounds a bit vague....   "idiots"...  "lack of knowledge"...perhaps carry this on in a separate thread with more detail [no names, no pack drill] and suggestions/"solutions"? 

« Reply #82 on: 16 April, 2024, 10:00:36 am »
Saturday was my first go at any of the Wessex Series and I enjoyed it... I think.
All the volunteers were great. Lots of good food  :thumbsup:
Really enjoyed riding in a new area. I was less keen on the hills, but it wasn't like I wasn't expecting them  ::-)

Sadly I'm one of the ones who was booked for the double but didn't ride Sunday.
Some bike fit issues (of my own making) resulted in me being unable to sit on the saddle by the time I got back to Poole and I couldn't face another 200km on Sunday.
psyclist who I was riding with had been having indexing issues and as I was his lift home also DNS'd Sunday.

I'm a bit disappointed about it, especially as it appears it was my own fault.
If I make it through Porkers and Brimstone then I'll be back to ride The Dorset Coast as a perm, possibly at night as suggested by teethgrinder.

There's always next year to do the double.

Thanks to everyone involved in organising.

Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #83 on: 16 April, 2024, 11:07:59 am »
I'll be back to ride The Dorset Coast as a perm, possibly at night as suggested by teethgrinder.

Not sure about this approach, descending roads with suspect surfaces in the dark is likely to increase number of pothole strikes, I'm happy to ride main roads at night when the lack of cars is a benefit. But most of the roads on the dorset coast are quiet lanes anyway.

Also the highlight of the Dorset coast for me is the exceptional scenery.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #84 on: 16 April, 2024, 12:11:52 pm »
The Dorset perm is completely different route then the current one,