Author Topic: LEL 2022is coming soon  (Read 31971 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: LEL 2022is coming soon
« Reply #125 on: 12 January, 2022, 12:07:27 pm »
Also important is to prepare for contingency plans. All too often I see riders not carrying enough warm/waterproof clothes and not enough basic spares to repair the most basic bike issues. Then other riders have to stop and help them out, sometimes causing the other rider to end up close to the time limit (OK, I know that you can have extra time for that accredited but you still end up uncomfortably far at the back of the field).
So don't overdo it on lightweight and make sure that you can take care of yourself.
This is sound, I'd expect most audaxers to be carrying what they are likely to need, preventative maintenance is also good, new gear and brake cables and tyres  one-two months before the big ride. (I did find my rear was nearly worn through 600km into borders of belgium, still wasn't leaking despite being tubeless and the canvas showing)
I only just had enough clothes on PBP for the low temperatures and I did come across someone really struggling on the wednesday night on the last section to Rambouillet. Would have been such a shame to get within 20km of the finish and then fail due to hypothermia.
Travelling light is not faster if you freeze at night.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #126 on: 12 January, 2022, 02:16:49 pm »

So don't overdo it on lightweight and make sure that you can take care of yourself.
The following comment is probably pointless in /this/ forum - at Spalding last time we had a ultra-lightweight Italian rider who had started breaking spokes on our country's ultra-smooth roads. He was incandescent that we couldn't supply & fit replacement aero spokes.
So Ivo's comment applies.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #127 on: 12 January, 2022, 03:11:19 pm »
Just wondering if the LEL route is mandatory this time? Idle curiosity, not worth bothering the team over. I did look in the FAQ but nothing in there one way or the other.

« Reply #128 on: 12 January, 2022, 04:36:24 pm »
Just wondering if the LEL route is mandatory this time? Idle curiosity, not worth bothering the team over. I did look in the FAQ but nothing in there one way or the other.

The answer is yes although I believe Danial has permission for free routing through Edinburgh. Visit the attractions or don’t as is your wont.

« Reply #129 on: 12 January, 2022, 04:42:04 pm »
....., what valve cap colour, ...
can't believe this crucial piece of information was so far down the list

You guys are using valve caps?

Not only that but I have fairy lights and tinsel decorating the bike.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #130 on: 12 January, 2022, 06:16:55 pm »

But the much better news was his other post (for those of you not on Facebook) -

"Please accept my apologies if you are waiting for a reply to an email. I’ve spent the last few days on the road, visiting controls and checking the route between London and St Ives.
If you are anxious about the ballot, please don’t be. It looks increasingly like we will fall into a sweet spot of having enough entries, but not having to run a ballot. In other words, if you have applied for a place, we are 90% certain that you will get one. So please don’t worry; we will see you in London in August."

Hi all

I am in the ballot so this is very exciting news, however I am not on Facebook and have never felt any desire to join.  Am I likely to miss out on anything 'important' by not being there and following the LEL page?

Thanks
[/quote]
I'm "on" the Facebook page, but I still missed that announcement!
So I'd say it's not essential for LEL prep  :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #131 on: 12 January, 2022, 09:25:30 pm »
....., what valve cap colour, ...
can't believe this crucial piece of information was so far down the list

You guys are using valve caps?
schwalbe tubes come with clear caps, look like there is nothing there, but keeps the muck out of the valve
It's not deliberate, I tend to misplace them

« Reply #132 on: 12 January, 2022, 09:50:44 pm »
That's because you should be using Continental tubes, with yellow caps that are easier to find on dark, wet roads.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #133 on: 12 January, 2022, 09:55:47 pm »
Nooo.

Everyone should know that red valve caps are faster, which = more sleeping time.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #134 on: 12 January, 2022, 10:56:05 pm »
Am absolutely delighted to see the discussion move to the really important matters of LEL. 😂
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #135 on: 13 January, 2022, 09:57:49 am »
I wonder if Eskdalemuir control will have that wonderful savoury pie, then crumble and custard of 2013? That saw me nicely through the evening to Brampton.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #136 on: 13 January, 2022, 03:47:14 pm »
Time for a LEL sub-board, Mods?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #137 on: 13 January, 2022, 03:50:25 pm »
Time for a LEL sub-board, Mods?

In addition to the one that appeared earlier today ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #138 on: 13 January, 2022, 10:41:45 pm »
A pretty key FB post that has not been picked up here yet   Danial on 11th Jan

If you are anxious about the ballot, please don’t be. It looks increasingly like we will fall into a sweet spot of having enough entries, but not having to run a ballot. In other words, if you have applied for a place, we are 90% certain that you will get one. So please don’t worry; we will see you in London in August.

I  would update that by saying that I think the 90 % is understated by at least 9% .. but remember I am not the boss.. so a late flood of balloteers could make me look very silly.
Roger
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

ealer

• novice audaxer
« Reply #139 on: 14 January, 2022, 10:56:14 am »
A pretty key FB post that has not been picked up here yet   Danial on 11th Jan

If you are anxious about the ballot, please don’t be. It looks increasingly like we will fall into a sweet spot of having enough entries, but not having to run a ballot. In other words, if you have applied for a place, we are 90% certain that you will get one. So please don’t worry; we will see you in London in August.

I  would update that by saying that I think the 90 % is understated by at least 9% .. but remember I am not the boss.. so a late flood of balloteers could make me look very silly.
Roger

Wow - this is becoming ever more real.  Fingers crossed!

« Reply #140 on: 14 January, 2022, 11:08:29 am »
Yes ealer, you better get training!
A later post from Danial said -

"If you are waiting for a confirmation for a guaranteed place, just enter the ballot. We are going to be slightly oversubscribed so we are going to accept everyone. In fact, I recommend everyone just enter the ballot if they haven’t already; it’s simpler and will get you to the same place.

We will send payment confirmations out this weekend to those of you who have kindly already paid, followed by the good news to the ballot entrants next weekend."

« Reply #141 on: 16 January, 2022, 12:30:52 pm »
So, last night I had my first (of, I expect, many) dream that I'm riding LEL and x, y or z is going wrong.

But I also did my first training ride yesterday so...
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #142 on: 17 January, 2022, 09:59:54 am »
So, last night I had my first (of, I expect, many) dream that I'm riding LEL and x, y or z is going wrong.

But I also did my first training ride yesterday so...

Had another dream in which a bike gets stolen :( Then thought "doesn't matter it's only a dream" and woke up.

Not for the first time, this is really weird, all sorts of strange shit can happen in dreams, but if a bike gets nicked it crosses some sort of line.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

ealer

• novice audaxer
« Reply #143 on: 21 January, 2022, 04:42:29 pm »
Yes ealer, you better get training!
A later post from Danial said -

"If you are waiting for a confirmation for a guaranteed place, just enter the ballot. We are going to be slightly oversubscribed so we are going to accept everyone. In fact, I recommend everyone just enter the ballot if they haven’t already; it’s simpler and will get you to the same place.

We will send payment confirmations out this weekend to those of you who have kindly already paid, followed by the good news to the ballot entrants next weekend."

Email just arrived - I'm in!!
See you all at the start....

« Reply #144 on: 18 February, 2022, 07:43:22 pm »
Danial has opened entries for some 'last minute' places as I surmise they think there will be a lower than estimated pay-up post ballot success percentage.
https://londonedinburghlondon.com/enter
Spread the word.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #145 on: 20 February, 2022, 03:50:16 pm »
That is right .. looks as if some ballot entries were not committed to ride ..only  making up their mind if they got a place. faced with reality ..pay and start training  a chunk decided that their ballot entry could be let go. So if you are up for it .. there are some places available .. no ballot . enter and pay  and you are in . We will close this route as soon as we are comfortable with the number of paid up entries.. maybe 30/40  more.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!