Author Topic: LEL 2022 proposed route - Unofficial Track  (Read 14274 times)

Re: LEL 2022 proposed route - Unofficial Track
« Reply #50 on: 26 January, 2022, 05:42:30 pm »
does anyone know if the start location is the same for everyone?  i`ve heard that earlier starters maybe starting from the Guild Hall ?

I just checked this with the organiser, because the LEL website FAQ says "The start point for London Edinburgh London 2022 will be Davenant Foundation School" but I read some contradictory comments on the FB page.
The intention is that the early starters on the 100 hour schedule will actually leave from central London (the organiser is keen to avoid early hours disturbance in the residential area around Davenant School) and the later starts will be from Davenant School, as per the website. The central London start is still TBC, because there have been some issues around confirming access to the venue that LEL has previously used, but the organiser was hoping to sort that out this week.
I had already booked accommodation near to Davenant, but as I am considering a 100 hour start, I now have accommodation booked in central London as well, with the intention of just cancelling the one that is not needed once things are confirmed.

« Reply #51 on: 26 January, 2022, 06:55:58 pm »
Going through Edinburgh (twice) is the reason why I'm not interested in LEL just the thought of it fills me with dread having ridden through it many times before often cheered on by some local wildlife and trying to negotiate some nasty road junctions.

I understand why going into the city is an attraction for the organisers and also the inability to actually make the centre the destination then come back south.

TBF you only pass through once. Northbound the route passes east of Livingston.

Indeed, I was being overgenerous with the size of Edinburgh, north and south routes each have there own peculiarities shall we say  :thumbsup:

« Reply #52 on: 28 January, 2022, 07:23:55 pm »
Drove over the Helmsley to Osmotherly bit today.
Some walking may be involved.

« Reply #53 on: 28 January, 2022, 07:41:05 pm »
What was the steepest grade sign you saw?  I believe that section is only northbound reading the route check blog.

https://adultmale.wordpress.com/2021/10/08/route-checking/

« Reply #54 on: 31 January, 2022, 05:14:06 pm »
Didn't see any gradient signs. Cleveland Wheelers website suggests 18% with max at 25%. Maybe looks worse in a car and I'm not a natural hill climber.
There isn't any flat on that bit and its quite narrow , which isnt a problem on the ups but might be on the downs.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #55 on: 12 February, 2022, 06:59:08 pm »
Quick question: are all controls used on both the way up and back down? (with the obvious exception of the controls North of Brampton and the control at Great Easton). I know they were in 2017 (Alston was optional then I think?), but you know about assumptions  ;)

Also, completely unrelated, any hint on which start group will be the letter Z?

« Reply #56 on: 12 February, 2022, 08:09:47 pm »
Also, completely unrelated, any hint on which start group will be the letter Z?

The 26th start group is 11:00 in my estimation.

« Reply #57 on: 12 February, 2022, 10:06:51 pm »
Quick question: are all controls used on both the way up and back down? (with the obvious exception of the controls North of Brampton and the control at Great Easton). I know they were in 2017 (Alston was optional then I think?), but you know about assumptions  ;)
https://londonedinburghlondon.com/route
Alston will be (I believe) entirely optional. In 2017 it was advertised not to be open till 1800 Day 2.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #58 on: 12 February, 2022, 11:08:52 pm »
Alston is basically extra beds available if Yad Moss weather is awful .. not really a control at all. Working out Z is nearly  impossible .. not every start from Guildhall may be needed so are there 9 max or fewer . Then Danial has changed first start from Davenant to 7.00 from original plan of 8.00 so is this  change allowed for ?
And do we have O anyway . to avoid number/ letter confusion.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #59 on: 01 April, 2022, 01:32:10 pm »
I see the route has been posted on the website:

https://londonedinburghlondon.com/route

Though one of my computers has cached an old version of the page so you might need to refresh/clean etc

« Reply #60 on: 01 April, 2022, 02:18:13 pm »
I like the look of the new section northbound from Moffat to Carnwath  :thumbsup: 

I won't be doing this LEL but I'll adopt that bit into my London-Arbroath route in June (avoiding the dreaded B7076  ::-)).
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #61 on: 01 April, 2022, 05:29:04 pm »
Quite a few new bits, starting about 30km in, with a few different north and southbound sections, plus differences to 2017, for instance to / from Louth.