Author Topic: [LEL17] The ACME LEL Peloton Thread [All Welcome!]  (Read 31648 times)

Re: The ACME LEL Peloton Thread [All Welcome!]
« Reply #100 on: 15 July, 2017, 11:20:45 am »
If I'm still alive to tell the tale then sounds like a good idea!

Me too...

« Reply #101 on: 24 July, 2017, 07:12:49 pm »
W26 12noon. I'm planning on riding slower/sleeping more/maybe stopping in more than one pub this time, so you 4pm lot will catch me before too long!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #102 on: 24 July, 2017, 07:42:32 pm »
X32 12.15.  The ACME peloton will catch me about Louth-time, I reckon.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #103 on: 25 July, 2017, 11:26:39 am »
T11 - 11:15 hopefully catch up with some of you over the course of the ride

« Reply #104 on: 25 July, 2017, 11:40:14 am »

Given your speed, I suspect we'll need to rely on you having long sleeps ... at least to meet up with the 4pm starters.

Mind you, I may drop back from the peleton over the flat sections as my pace is not so good until it gets hilly. Then once it gets hilly, I'm also slow!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #105 on: 25 July, 2017, 11:55:40 am »

Given your speed, I suspect we'll need to rely on you having long sleeps ... at least to meet up with the 4pm starters.

Mind you, I may drop back from the peleton over the flat sections as my pace is not so good until it gets hilly. Then once it gets hilly, I'm also slow!

So our planned 28kph average to catch the 05:00 starters isn't happening then?  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #106 on: 25 July, 2017, 11:59:21 am »
I'm not that quick at the best of times, and am certainly planning to ride with as much sleep as possible and finishing close to full value. Mind you, anything can happen on a ride of this length, so will be playing things by ear pretty much from the offset.

« Reply #107 on: 25 July, 2017, 02:26:45 pm »
EE40 2PM Start - Hoping to find others who are going to ride through the night on day/night 1 with limited stops.

« Reply #108 on: 25 July, 2017, 02:34:51 pm »
So our planned 28kph average to catch the 05:00 starters isn't happening then?  :facepalm:

At least there's only a relatively small chance of meeting returning traffic while still outbound.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #109 on: 25 July, 2017, 02:36:19 pm »
To be clear I don't think we have any agreed average speed for the ACME trains - unless one of the elders wants to propose one  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #110 on: 25 July, 2017, 02:44:21 pm »
EE40 2PM Start - Hoping to find others who are going to ride through the night on day/night 1 with limited stops.

The remnants of the ACME Anvils train (ie the Straggler and Carlos Fandango both OTP) are leaving at 2 and planning that sort of strategy.  Neither of them are known faffers so they will doubtless fly through the controls.   You would have to put up with Carlos overnight though and he does moan a lot, mainly because he travels so light (a pack of 3 and some sudocreme) that he is cold and miserable when it gets dark.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #111 on: 25 July, 2017, 02:54:22 pm »
To be clear I don't think we have any agreed average speed for the ACME trains - unless one of the elders wants to propose one  :thumbsup:

How fast do you have to go to avoid any chance of seeing returning riders while still on your way North?

frillipippi

• from Italy
« Reply #112 on: 25 July, 2017, 03:20:20 pm »

EE32 planning to ride through the first night in order to be at Castle Howard by the first light of day. And hopefully in Edinburgh within Monday late evening. I'm not mounting mudguards, though (use to ride as a lone wolf).

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #113 on: 27 July, 2017, 07:00:41 am »

23kph was mentioned at the pub last night: about standard for Arrows and such like. Even with a tailwind, I'd be aiming to keep the speed down on the flatlands up as far as Yorkshire. I'd like to enjoy, not endure the hills, while trying to recover from an adrenaline/testosterone fuelled thrash.

On the other hand, 30kph through the controls would be good, or at least until we decide there's enough time in hand for more sleep and maybe a leisurely pub/cafe stop somewhere, or more relaxed visit to controls.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #114 on: 27 July, 2017, 09:18:15 am »

The remnants of the ACME Anvils train (ie the Straggler and Carlos Fandango both OTP) are leaving at 2 and planning that sort of strategy.  Neither of them are known faffers so they will doubtless fly through the controls.   You would have to put up with Carlos overnight though and he does moan a lot, mainly because he travels so light (a pack of 3 and some sudocreme) that he is cold and miserable when it gets dark.

I`ve a very clever strategy to avoid becoming miserable and cold and apparently moany overnight. This involves not riding overnight. Genius I think.

There seems to be ample time to manage a decent sleep overnight, 2 or 3 hours slumber in a control followed by 2 or 3 hours kip in the next control if needed.

I have puchased a framebag for my sudocreme and pack of 3, it`s still pretty empty, no idea what else to put in it. I`ll probably be wearing a gilet but I haven`t any buffs, either thin or thick, arm warmers, knee warmers, leg warmers or shoe covers to put in it. Any ideas?

The Straggler is so ice cold he wears every item of cycling clothing he possesses at all times (I do hope that he doesn`t flaunt that embarrassing CCS rag though) and of course, social media is beneath his lofty ideals, so between us we hope to achieve minimal faffage and a stress free ride!

« Reply #115 on: 27 July, 2017, 09:32:40 am »
Looking forward to seeing you both at Easton  :thumbsup:  I will have blankets on standby.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #116 on: 27 July, 2017, 09:37:27 am »
Thanks ted, looking forward to getting that far and seeing you and huggy (and his veggie curry):thumbsup:

D

• DD
  • DD
« Reply #117 on: 27 July, 2017, 06:56:31 pm »
Hiya ACME Peloton,

I have made a note of your numbers, which are indicated on here, just wishing you all a fun packed epic journey, I will be at the Innerleithen control, and will be looking out for those I know.

Deniece

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #118 on: 27 July, 2017, 08:53:51 pm »
Hiya ACME Peloton,

I have made a note of your numbers, which are indicated on here, just wishing you all a fun packed epic journey, I will be at the Innerleithen control, and will be looking out for those I know.

Deniece

Looking forward to Cheery Greetings and Five Star Service from all our chums dotted about the LEL route!  :thumbsup: Please be gentle but firm with us when you shove us out the door and on our way.

« Reply #119 on: 27 July, 2017, 09:55:10 pm »
Hi,

Just popping in here..

If everything goes to plan on LEL, I'm planning on stopping for a pint before the finish. Looking at the route, I'm thinking of stopping at the White Hart in Moreton, have been there before on the Dunwich Dynamo.

Any thoughts from you local riders? Do other LEL riders stop for a pint before finish?

Thanks M

« Reply #120 on: 27 July, 2017, 10:08:52 pm »
I may stop for a pint more than once this trip (especially if I spot a 'spoons; must find that directory!).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #121 on: 27 July, 2017, 11:15:04 pm »
chums dotted about the LEL route
See you at the start, then I'll be at Moffat then moving to Eskdalemuir and then back to the finish for helping with the Grand Finale.
So you won't be hallucinating when you see me four times
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #122 on: 28 July, 2017, 12:41:09 am »
I'll be pointing and laughing waving at you as you pass through Spalding. Have a good ride folks.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #123 on: 28 July, 2017, 07:36:53 am »
Any thoughts from you local riders? Do other LEL riders stop for a pint before finish?
Thanks M

Yes, 'cos once you've finished you'll probably just want to go home & sleep, not necessarily in that order...

The Green Man, on the right in Toot Hill is a good pub too btw & much nearer the arrivee - depends on timing of course.

« Reply #124 on: 28 July, 2017, 09:49:39 am »
Thanks M

Yes, 'cos once you've finished you'll probably just want to go home & sleep, not necessarily in that order...

The Green Man, on the right in Toot Hill is a good pub too btw & much nearer the arrivee - depends on timing of course.

Thanks Tomsk,

I think my image of the finishing straight will be somewhat different to the reality!

Good luck to you all, and hope to get down for one of your events in the future

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk