Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 113619 times)

Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #1000 on: 07 January, 2021, 11:12:27 am »
All academic - not riding when it's so cold I need to thaw the cat hatch with a hairdryer

simonp

« Reply #1001 on: 07 January, 2021, 11:15:32 am »
Conditions where I have to go pour hot water onto the layer of ice on the chickens’ water are not riding conditions. Not that I’m going anywhere anyway. Only left the house this year so far to collect a prescription.

You can get them delivered too - then you won't need to go out at all. Better still, rig up a hose to from the hot tap to the chicken run, and you won't even need to go outside at all!  ;D

We've had a couple of days when we tried to go outside - but after a lot of freezing rain the in past week, it's hard enough to even stand up out there.

The local pharmacy were only delivering during the first lockdown to shielding people and it was late in the day. Needed to be fetched there and the .

We ran out of milk - I drank black coffee. Biggest irony was running out of cheddar. It’s literally 5 minutes away.

« Reply #1002 on: 07 January, 2021, 11:40:07 am »
Conditions where I have to go pour hot water onto the layer of ice on the chickens’ water are not riding conditions. Not that I’m going anywhere anyway. Only left the house this year so far to collect a prescription.

You can get them delivered too - then you won't need to go out at all. Better still, rig up a hose to from the hot tap to the chicken run, and you won't even need to go outside at all!  ;D

We've had a couple of days when we tried to go outside - but after a lot of freezing rain the in past week, it's hard enough to even stand up out there.

The local pharmacy were only delivering during the first lockdown to shielding people and it was late in the day. Needed to be fetched there and the .

We ran out of milk - I drank black coffee. Biggest irony was running out of cheddar. It’s literally 5 minutes away.

https://www.echo.co.uk/

Though no good if immediacy is key.

bairn again

« Reply #1003 on: 07 January, 2021, 02:11:03 pm »
I received this email at 11.11 this morning - the ability to ride some Perm / DIYs in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland but not in England appears to have been very short lived.  Definitely the correct move for multiple reasons.

Dear Graeme

As you know, since the introduction of national and regional lockdowns back in March, we have attempted to allow as many AUK events as possible to take place while staying in strict adherence with both the letter and spirit of the evolving government regulations and guidance. As a result, members have been able to ride a fair number of Permanent Events and some have also been able to take part in socially-distanced Calendar Events.
However, this week's introduction of much more widespread restrictions on movement and activities throughout the UK and the prevailing and UK-wide injunction to "Stay at Home" have given us no room to ride long distance. This means that we must suspend validations of all events in the UK, at least until the newly-implemented lockdowns are lifted. Naturally, we will continue to keep the situation under regular review and respond to any developments as quickly as possible, always with the aim of restarting events whenever it is feasible and safe to do so, whether on a national or regional basis.
You can keep up to date with the latest developments on the news page of the AUK web site - audax.uk/news. This mail has been sent to main members only, so please pass on the information to your household members as appropriate.
In the meantime, thank you for your continued support, which is very much appreciated by all of us on the Board, the delegates and many other volunteers who keep AUK running, and the event organisers and their volunteer staff who help out at events.
Best regards
Chris Crossland
Chair, AUK

https://audax.uk/news/covid-19-update-06-january-2021/ 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1004 on: 07 January, 2021, 02:13:55 pm »
Biggest irony was running out of cheddar. It’s literally 5 minutes away.

I wouldn't run out of Cheddar; I might break a bone...

IGMC

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1005 on: 07 January, 2021, 02:18:17 pm »
I received this email at 11.11 this morning - the ability to ride some Perm / DIYs in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland but not in England appears to have been very short lived.  Definitely the correct move for multiple reasons.
<STUFF>

I received two copies of that text, one with the title Audax UK Membership Renewal, the other with a COVID title.

(I wasn't due to renew this year anyway)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1006 on: 07 January, 2021, 02:28:15 pm »
<STUFF>

I received two copies of that text, one with the title Audax UK Membership Renewal, the other with a COVID title.

Me too. The first confused me!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1007 on: 07 January, 2021, 06:14:14 pm »

Sorry folks that was me trying to rush some proof reading between "real work" jobs this morning and failing dismally - I checked the content but completely missed the title. Fortunately it was only a batch of around 200-300 that went out wrong.

Apologies for any inconvenience and confusion.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1008 on: 07 January, 2021, 06:21:34 pm »
No worries!

We appreciate all your efforts!

« Reply #1009 on: 07 January, 2021, 06:31:26 pm »
Yes!

Thanks bhoot, minor puzzlement was at once removed by your update above.

Davef

« Reply #1010 on: 07 January, 2021, 06:40:08 pm »

Sorry folks that was me trying to rush some proof reading between "real work" jobs this morning and failing dismally - I checked the content but completely missed the title. Fortunately it was only a batch of around 200-300 that went out wrong.

Could be worse. A few years ago several hundred high net worth customers of a certain bank got a letter addressed “Dear Rich Bastard”

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1011 on: 07 January, 2021, 09:35:34 pm »

I guessed it was somesuch. No sweat!

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #1012 on: 11 January, 2021, 05:42:47 pm »
This is interesting from Matt Hancock's briefing just now and also PMBJ being spotted cycling in Stratford 7 miles from no 10 yesterday

Hancock says meeting a friend outside could be banned if people don’t follow current rules
Q: Can I go for a walk in the park with a friend, with a takeaway cup of coffee? If it is, why are people being fined for this? And is it okay to go seven miles for a cycle ride?

Hancock says you can go and exercise with one other person, but only one other person. You should be two metres apart. And if too many people keep breaking this rule, “then we are going to have to look at it, but I don’t want to do that.” He says it is very important people do not “flex” the rule.

And he says it is okay to go for a long walk, and end up seven miles from home. But you should stay local. You should not go from one part of the country to another.

So are local DIYs back on?

« Reply #1013 on: 11 January, 2021, 06:11:30 pm »
It certainly looks like my 200k within 10k of my house has just got a nod of approval.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1014 on: 11 January, 2021, 07:13:21 pm »
Huh, I thought DIYs would not get homologated at all by AUK? (I don't have restrictions on how far / where I can cycle in the Netherlands)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1015 on: 11 January, 2021, 07:15:37 pm »
Huh, I thought DIYs would not get homologated at all by AUK? (I don't have restrictions on how far / where I can cycle in the Netherlands)

That was my understanding too.

I'm confused.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1016 on: 11 January, 2021, 07:39:18 pm »
To be clear - AUK is not currently validating rides in UK.  Matt Hancock's pronouncement appears to give the nod for riding my compact 200k just for 'fun'.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1017 on: 11 January, 2021, 07:40:18 pm »
If you are allowed to ride a long way in your country, you can ride a DIY. AUK has shut down DIYs in the UK only.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

GdS

« Reply #1018 on: 11 January, 2021, 07:53:56 pm »
If you are allowed to ride a long way in your country, you can ride a DIY. AUK has shut down DIYs in the UK only.

not the UK just England; Wales and Scotland have different rules even in AUK. In England the rules (nor actually law it just states should) are that you stay within the village town or area of a city you live in for exercise.

The Prime Minister just pushed that envelope by travelling from 10 Downing St to East London to do a bike ride, vindicated by his Health Secretary who stated that this was OK as long as you didn't travel across the country

Therefore can we please go back to perms that do not leave the local area (ie mostly county based) ? seems reasonable

bairn again

« Reply #1019 on: 11 January, 2021, 08:09:37 pm »

not the UK just England; Wales and Scotland have different rules even in AUK. In England the rules (nor actually law it just states should) are that you stay within the village town or area of a city you live in for exercise.

The Prime Minister just pushed that envelope by travelling from 10 Downing St to East London to do a bike ride, vindicated by his Health Secretary who stated that this was OK as long as you didn't travel across the country

Therefore can we please go back to perms that do not leave the local area (ie mostly county based) ? seems reasonable

Events have been shut down across the UK. 

Events in Scotland, Wales & N Ireland were suspended from 1300 on 06/01/2021 as per https://audax.uk/news/covid-19-update-06-january-2021/

At times during lockdown the rules had diverged to reflect devolution of Health matters but since 1300 on 06/01/2021 they have been aligned over the whole UK

GdS

« Reply #1020 on: 11 January, 2021, 09:06:18 pm »

« Reply #1021 on: 11 January, 2021, 09:09:26 pm »

That was my understanding too.

I'm confused.

J

If you can do your DIY where you are, within your regulations then AUK will validate. Just  UK where validations are stopped right now.