Author Topic: Killed Cyclists in London - new map and spreadsheet  (Read 5393 times)

redfalo

Killed Cyclists in London - new map and spreadsheet
« on: 16 March, 2011, 10:21:00 am »
Dear all,

I wanted to get a deeper understanding of cycling safety in London. This is why I’ve started to collect data on severe and fatal cycling accidents in London since 2006. I've created a spreadsheet on Google Docs  [url=http://bit.ly/cycling-london]Willkommen bei Google Text & Tabellen[/url] and a map  http://bit.ly/cycle-crash-map-london showing detailed information about 58 fatal cycling accidents that happened in Greater London since 2006. Data includes information on the type of vehicles involved.

I've summarised my thoughts about this sad topic on my cycling blog http://cyclingintelligence.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/cycling-in-london-how-dangerous-is-it/.

Comments much appreciated!

Take care
Olaf

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
Re: Killed Cyclists in London - new map and spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2011, 10:42:36 am »
A female rider got under a left turning lorry at the junction of Bellenden Road and Peckham High Street. She was taken to hosptal with serious leg and hip injuries.

This lady went on to run the London Marathon the following year  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2011, 10:50:53 am »
Thank you for your efforts in collating the data, one quick comment your blog shows your scandinavian upbringing as you use , for the decimal point and . for the thousand marker, this is the reverse of the UK norm.

But then they often say the reason for language and dialect is to detect the stranger in your land

« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2011, 11:44:14 am »
This has been done before, but it's good to see your effort includes the vehicle type on the graphic.
I think you are missing a fatality on Ambleside Avenue in Streatham (2008). From memory it was a Polish man run down from behind by a Cemex lorry. Amblseside Avenue had a cycle path that weaved in and out of parking spaces. My assumption is that the lorry did not allow sufficient space for the cyclist.
The news report is here:
Update: Cyclist dies after collision with lorry (From Your Local Guardian)

redfalo

« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2011, 05:15:34 pm »
Many thanks for your feedback, especially with regard to the accident on Ambleside Avenue. I've added it to the sites and gave you some credit on my blg, Alex.

I've also added the marathon to the "What happend later?" section. It's nice to have some good news there as well...

However, I'm afraid despite my name I'm not Scandinavian but German. (Apparantly we're using the , and the .  in the same way as the Scandinavians do.) At least my parents have been bis fans of Scandinavia...

« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2011, 05:17:31 pm »
Sorry, my assumption from the name and the general continental approach to numerical nomenclature.

Nightfly

« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2011, 08:58:16 pm »
Grim but vital work if ultimately safety for cyclists is to be improved.

Does the CTC have a national map of fatlities and serious injury caused to cyclists?

Perhaps Olaf you could collate a national map which would be very revealing but also a lot of work but vital. I suspect if this information is currently available from Government soruces it will be suppressed or manipulated.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2011, 09:00:16 pm »

However, I'm afraid despite my name I'm not Scandinavian but German. (Apparantly we're using the , and the .  in the same way as the Scandinavians do.) At least my parents have been bis fans of Scandinavia...

This how we do it in France also.
Chief cat entertainer.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #8 on: 16 March, 2011, 10:00:26 pm »
I haven't checked the new map. Is it different to:
CityBeast London Cyclist Casualty Map

« Reply #9 on: 16 March, 2011, 10:13:16 pm »
... I think you are missing a fatality on Ambleside Avenue in Streatham (2008). From memory it was a Polish man run down from behind by a Cemex lorry. Amblseside Avenue had a cycle path that weaved in and out of parking spaces. My assumption is that the lorry did not allow sufficient space for the cyclist. ...

This happened very shortly before I moved to Croydon and started cycling through that junction (as I still do pretty much every day, going northward in the morning).

I remember seeing the yellow "Accident, please contact if you have any information..." signs up there for a while.  I often remember that it happened there, and always take a great deal of care at the junction.

Probably something like a third of left turning vehicles from Ambleside Avenue onto Mitcham Lane (which isn't the direction where that fatal accident occurred) don't bother to indicate, but the traffic levels are such that it's often strongly to your advantage to go up the inside of the traffic.  It's very important to position yourself clearly, so that if there's any risk that a vehicle is turning left, you are very visible to the driver.  Needless to say, positioning yourself to the left of an HGV is extremely dangerous here.
Actually, it is rocket science.

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #10 on: 17 March, 2011, 03:15:04 pm »
An excellent (and sobering) resource. Many thanks for this redfalo.
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
 - Mark Twain