Linked Events

• Kent Invicta 600km 5/6th June: 20 June, 2010 - 21 June, 2010

Author Topic: Kent Invicta 600km 5/6th June Sevenoaks Weald  (Read 5639 times)

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
Kent Invicta 600km 5/6th June Sevenoaks Weald
« on: 20 May, 2010, 11:05:40 pm »
Kent Invicta 600km 5th/6th June Sevenoaks Weald.

A figure of eight ride with the first 400km heading West via Ewhurst and Overton to the Test Valley and back via Petersfield, Bignor Pyecombe and Turners Hill back to the Weald.

The second loop 200km heads East to Sittingbourne and Hillborough then back via Preston and the Elham Valley to Westenhanger and then as flat as you get through Kent via Bethersden, Marden, Yalding and Hadlow to the Weald

"Don't stop pedalling"

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
Re: Kent Invicta 600km 5/6th June Sevenoaks Weald
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2010, 11:10:06 pm »
Deja Vu  :)  yes Teethgrinder there is sleep available at Sevenoaks Weald approx 400km and at Sittingbourne about 50km later  :thumbsup:
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2010, 11:19:28 pm »

As there's no Friday night sleep at the Church hall, is anyone up for a room share in a cheap hotel on Friday night?
There's a Premiere Inn about 10 miles from Otford for about £63.

Hmm, could camp...

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2010, 11:38:18 pm »

As there's no Friday night sleep at the Church hall, is anyone up for a room share in a cheap hotel on Friday night?

Hmm, could camp...

Start is Sevenoaks Weald scout hut not Otford, all changed :)
 It is only about 5 miles away though
"Don't stop pedalling"

marcus

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2010, 08:08:49 am »
Just sent off an entry for this. Don't know Kent very well at all so looking forward to cycling somewhere new.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2010, 02:31:29 pm »
Sevenoaks Weald scout hut, fantastic! I've not been there since I camped there as a cub when I was about 7 or 8. Nice hills round there. I'm really looking forward to this ride!
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2010, 02:48:32 pm »
Got the envelope back yesterday with the returned entry form and cheque - thanks, Steve. Must admit my first reaction was a slight pang of disappointment that I won't be doing the ride, but on reflection, a 600 is still a bigger mouthful than I should be attempting to bite off at the moment.

But good luck to all those who are braver/fitter than me. Bloody heroes, the lot of yer.  :thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Chap wearing skull cap

« Reply #7 on: 21 May, 2010, 10:39:31 pm »
Is there a max participants limit one should be aware of?

Did the 400 and liked it so much the Kent SR series next year would be a
nice goal as a potential road to PBP. Seems a bit more genuine and raw
compared to the much-hyped big Wales ones in a way.

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
« Reply #8 on: 21 May, 2010, 10:59:07 pm »
 I'm up to 16 entries at present with another three in the post according to e-mails so no where near a limit yet, not that I've set one ;D
"Don't stop pedalling"

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9 on: 26 May, 2010, 09:54:34 am »
has the route changed from 2009 version, apart from a different starting place? i'm trying to figure out the route now as i'll be v.busy next week..

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
« Reply #10 on: 30 May, 2010, 11:22:20 pm »
 OK Route sheet finished and e-mailed out, also managed to create a gpx file from my memory map file, then used GPS Visualiser to create a KML file and upload to Google Maps;

Try this Kent Invicta 600km 2010 Sevenoaks Weald

gps visualiser here http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=googleearth
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #11 on: 31 May, 2010, 10:33:51 pm »

Hmm, could camp...

I was on this event last year and stayed at a Best Western near Otford and it was cheaper than the Premier, from memory I got a deal for about £43
O'LEL what have I done!

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #12 on: 04 June, 2010, 10:06:57 am »
What is the car parking situation at the Scout Hut?
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Pete Mas

« Reply #13 on: 04 June, 2010, 12:19:55 pm »
What is the car parking situation at the Scout Hut?

I see the audax uk site has been updated to show parking available at the new start....so have answered own question!

R.L.Stevenson

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #14 on: 04 June, 2010, 12:24:46 pm »
The car park at the scout hut isn't huge, so get there early if you want to be sure of bagging a spot.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pete Mas

« Reply #15 on: 04 June, 2010, 12:40:27 pm »
Who else is doing this ride now?  :)

R.L.Stevenson

marcus

« Reply #16 on: 04 June, 2010, 01:58:56 pm »
Me!

Getting the train down from Peterborough after work.

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #17 on: 06 June, 2010, 12:47:30 am »
eeeek heavy rain and thunder here in Ditton ... hope all's well out on the road
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
« Reply #18 on: 07 June, 2010, 12:25:34 am »
 Alls a wet deep well out on the road  :) Mixture of really hot weather on Saturday and then thunder/lightning and heavy rain Saturday night took it's toll on the riders and some understandably didn't want to go back out in it.
 Two had mechanical failures on the bikes, many were plagued by punctures as the flints washed out in the road.

I have just unpacked the car and settled down with a cuppa  ;D

26 entries
6 DNS
8DNF
and 12 finishers

Marcus and Teethgrinder absolutely flying round in good time.

and little tip folks if using a GPS for a ride programme the track the correct direction around  ;) :D
"Don't stop pedalling"

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #19 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:45:19 pm »
Mixture of really hot weather on Saturday and then thunder/lightning and heavy rain Saturday night took it's toll on the riders and some understandably didn't want to go back out in it.

Close to a rerun of last year then! (Drizzle followed by overnight storm followed by fairly warm Sunday.)

Well done to everyone completing. Shame we couldn't be there again but there's only so many Audaxes you can do in one weekend  :)

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #20 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:57:49 pm »
Just got back from Birmingham from a weekend in Kent. As fixedwheelnut said, a real hot day on Saturday, maybe too much so for me as I think I drank about 10 liters and could not avoid the dreaded saddle sore. The night started with so much promise, warm, still and I was going really well and was planning on ridding the whole 600, but then storms hit from no where at 11.45pm. It absolutely pissed it down for 2 hours!! Never ridden in anything like it. Made it back to the scout hut at around 2pm, decided to head of to my parents for a proper bed and see how I felt about the final 200 in the morning. Seems I was tired, I woke at 8am, uninspired by the 200 round Kent. I had enjoyed the day before and decided that spending the day with my sister and young niece was a better use of my time so text Steve to say I would not be finishing.

The first 400km was a lot harder than I thought it would be, there are no really big hills, but it's rarely flat and some of the road surfaces where terrible, a mixture of winter holes or very course chip-stone surfaces, have combined to leave me with some mild nerve damage, it feels like someone is sticking pins in to my palms  :-[ My favorite section had to be the undulating section from Petersfield to Pyecombe along the North side of the South Downs.

I'm a bit disappointed that I did not finish the 600 but it's really not the end of the world as this is all meant to be enjoyable and I'd had a good time on Saturday, cheers Steve.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

marcus

« Reply #21 on: 07 June, 2010, 07:42:03 pm »
eeeek heavy rain and thunder here in Ditton ... hope all's well out on the road

It was pretty miserable late Saturday night. As I was cycling back to the scout hut from Pyecombe I could see flashes of lightning ahead of me & was naively hoping that I might somehow miss the rain. I didn't. It rained heavily for 2 or 3 hours, I was cold & wet & had to keep stopping to peer at my routesheet & GPS through rain affected glasses. It was one of those times when you really question why on earth you're doing this.

But the rest of the ride was great (well, apart from another spell of heavy rain on Sunday afternoon). I really enjoyed seeing a part of England I didn't know very well - I reckon over 90% of the ride was on roads I'd never been on before. Quiet roads & a good mixture of hills & flatter bits. I could be persuaded to do this one again ...

Many thanks to Steve for organising.

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
« Reply #22 on: 07 June, 2010, 10:12:43 pm »
Glad you all enjoyed it and well done the conditions were tough.

James, a shame you overslept as you flew round that first 405km and would have enjoyed the second loop as it is much flatter [despite having the steepest climb]
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #23 on: 07 June, 2010, 10:26:48 pm »
I really enjoyed the first 400k. Great scenery, quiet lanes and sunshine all the way. Only an hour of rain at the end, but I enjoyed that too. It washed most of the muck off of me and was very refreshing. Lightning lighting up the landscape brilliantly, then it wasn't long before I was fed and snuggled up in my sleeping bag back at the scout hut.
The last 200 wasn't so good. Quite a bit of main road bashing and not so scenic. It gradualy improved as the day went on though.
If I ride again, I think I might take the first 400 a bit slower and press on through the night to get the busy roads done early before the traffc builds up then get back onto the quieter and scenic roads for the last 100k.

It wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

It was better. :thumbsup:

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
« Reply #24 on: 08 June, 2010, 04:48:00 pm »
 Steve I might try and change the main road/lane sections to match up with in the dark riding a bit better, If I use more B road for the Pyecombe to Sevenoaks Weald section for easier navigation and then stay off the A roads in loop two as most people leave in the light for that anyway it should make for a better ride.

Change is good if it's for the better  :thumbsup: ;D

@Marcus
It was one of those times when you really question why on earth you're doing this.
We have all had rides like that I think, Mike Plumstead shared that sentiment, thats when your strength of character read stuborness comes in to play  ;)
"Don't stop pedalling"