Author Topic: Chain downshifting to space between front chain rings...  (Read 6451 times)

Re: Chain downshifting to space between front chain rings...
« Reply #25 on: 26 June, 2017, 11:42:06 pm »
I've ended up with a 105 triple, but have sub'd the 30t for a Stronglight 26t (~£10); so have a 21.7" gear, with the 32t cassette. 

IMG_20170626_192544368 by ao, on Flickr

The Shimano 30t chainring  I removed, is a pretty thin affair, weighing ~30g.  I wonder how many km people normally get out of the Shimano chain rings...
So far the 105 chainset shifting seems fine; shame the TD2 didn't work out, as it seemed a good looking, robust chainset
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #26 on: 27 June, 2017, 08:36:46 am »
That's my setup except mine is a 28t inner, I ended up fitting a dog fang chaincatcher a few weeks ago as I the chain was occasionally unshipping when downshifting to the granny.  Whilst occasional it was always at the bottom of steep climbs and loss of momentum was a bit depressing. You may not have this problem but if you do, the fang is cheap, light and v easy to install.

« Reply #27 on: 27 June, 2017, 04:54:01 pm »
That's my setup except mine is a 28t inner, I ended up fitting a dog fang chaincatcher a few weeks ago as I the chain was occasionally unshipping when downshifting to the granny.  Whilst occasional it was always at the bottom of steep climbs and loss of momentum was a bit depressing. You may not have this problem but if you do, the fang is cheap, light and v easy to install.

Thanks for the tip may invest in the dog fang  -  it can feel at home near the shark fin on the chain stay...  Although the shark fin's existence may feel threatened.

I was looking at the front mech clearances and was thinking that I may even try a 24t, which could come it handy in NthYMoors next month.  Bike is a large frame 531ST, with sputnik wheels, so not the lightest.

edit. first proper road test today on commute.  Really good, smooth & v.quiet shifting, just have to be disciplined in more regular maintenance of the HT2 BB.

« Reply #28 on: 28 June, 2017, 06:05:36 pm »
I've ended up with a 105 triple, but have sub'd the 30t for a Stronglight 26t (~£10); so have a 21.7" gear, with the 32t cassette. 

IMG_20170626_192544368 by ao, on Flickr

I've one of those. but rings are all TA Alize, 50/38/26  (got the cranks cheap without rings)
For a long time it was perfect but now just occasionally the chain now finds a position between outer & middle where it is no longer engaging.  Never goes between the rings, just hangs momentarily until I make another click down on the Ergos.  Always used KMC 10 spd chain.   The inside face of each ring is pretty scuffed (below the teeth) so I guess it's just taken enough thickness off in places to allow this. But the teeth are not worn enough to warrant replacement yet.

« Reply #29 on: 30 June, 2017, 03:20:30 pm »
I've one of those. but rings are all TA Alize, 50/38/26  (got the cranks cheap without rings)
For a long time it was perfect but now just occasionally the chain now finds a position between outer & middle where it is no longer engaging.  Never goes between the rings, just hangs momentarily until I make another click down on the Ergos.  Always used KMC 10 spd chain.   The inside face of each ring is pretty scuffed (below the teeth) so I guess it's just taken enough thickness off in places to allow this. But the teeth are not worn enough to warrant replacement yet.

Thanks, interesting to know that the cranks will work well with non-shimano mid-large rings.