Author Topic: AUK Finances and Website Project was: AUK Chairman Statement  (Read 119460 times)

Re: AUK CHAIRMAN STATEMENT
« Reply #275 on: 21 September, 2018, 04:54:07 pm »
Seems like very little discussion about whether phase 2 is a good idea, and more discussion about how to pay for it.

I will be thinking hard about whether to renew membership.

hillbilly

« Reply #276 on: 21 September, 2018, 05:30:47 pm »
Seems like very little discussion about whether phase 2 is a good idea, and more discussion about how to pay for it.

This.  Although I'm more concerned about the lack of debate on whether Phase 3 is needed.  I get DIYs and GPS are the future, but maybe the future is just beyond reach for AUK.  There is no shame in admitting that and pausing on Phase 3 (possibly accompanied by limiting demand for DIYs, for example by only allowing one DIY to be validated a month for each member).

I won't.  I'll be renewing.  Audax is great and AUK is still a fine organisation with a good community and volunteers.   I also think it was about time we increased the subscription fee and validation fees.

I will, however, be considering my voting options at the next AGM very carefully if someone stands on a platform of revisiting the scope of the IT project.  Partly because I don't agree with the Board's decision.  Partly because I'm uncomfortable with how the Board has exercised their powers.

« Reply #277 on: 21 September, 2018, 06:07:13 pm »

I won't.  I'll be renewing.  Audax is great and AUK is still a fine organisation with a good community and volunteers.   I also think it was about time we increased the subscription fee and validation fees.

Very true. Increase them for what though? If what needs paying for hasn't been touched by inflation then they shouldn't increase just for the sake of it. If they were increasing to fund a new initiative we all agreed with then fair enough. But they're being increased just to cover this project.

I suppose the additional income will remain once the project is finished though. Hopefully!

« Reply #278 on: 21 September, 2018, 06:09:11 pm »
Audax is great and AUK is still a fine organisation with a good community and volunteers.   I also think it was about time we increased the subscription fee and validation fees.

This - AUK provides the infrastructure for what we do. It is bigger than the legal entity and is a wider community of enthusiasts and volunteers.

I think membership is stunningly good value even increased - it funds the framework that enables rides to happen, means organisers don't have to invent the wheel around so many aspects of the task and provides formats for us to enjoy our hobby.

Separately - I know nothing about IT projects and am glad that I am not on the board having to work this one out.

And one more thing, on the AUK forum, the Club Sec has provided an interesting reply to a post from Manotea about the board's powers.  Might be worth a read - I don't know the truth of it but it must help focus debate.

Liam

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #279 on: 21 September, 2018, 06:20:43 pm »
Audax is great and AUK is still a fine organisation with a good community and volunteers.   I also think it was about time we increased the subscription fee and validation fees.

This - AUK provides the infrastructure for what we do. It is bigger than the legal entity and is a wider community of enthusiasts and volunteers.

I think membership is stunningly good value even increased - it funds the framework that enables rides to happen, means organisers don't have to invent the wheel around so many aspects of the task and provides formats for us to enjoy our hobby.

Separately - I know nothing about IT projects and am glad that I am not on the board having to work this one out.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

« Reply #280 on: 21 September, 2018, 06:21:25 pm »
Not even so much as a Reader's Digest special salutation:

Dear MR SMITH

Ah yes, that's down to me.  That salutation should have included your firstname but something went astray.   I'm afraid that MailChimp is a bit of a dark art for me, and there is probably a delegate position for someone who has a better grasp on the technology than me.  On the plus side, I don't think there were speling mixtakes.  I do hope I got those numbers right.

I'm so ancient that I indeed once used to work for a mail order company, and fitting variables into a pre-printed form was at the cutting edge then.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #281 on: 21 September, 2018, 07:12:13 pm »

Dear MR SMITH

Ah yes, that's down to me.  That salutation should have included your firstname but something went astray.   I'm afraid that MailChimp is a bit of a dark art for me, and there is probably a delegate position for someone who has a better grasp on the technology than me.  On the plus side, I don't think there were speling mixtakes.  I do hope I got those numbers right.

I'm so ancient that I indeed once used to work for a mail order company, and fitting variables into a pre-printed form was at the cutting edge then.

Mine just started:

Dear

No title, no names. Thought everyone's email was equally lacking.

« Reply #282 on: 21 September, 2018, 07:28:36 pm »
Seems to me the Chairman doesn't give a f**k about the members and will just continue to do what he wants , this seems to include changing the rules to allow him to do what ever he wants

I am seriously considering canceling my events for 2019.  As this is no longer a club but a dictatorship! !!!

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #283 on: 21 September, 2018, 07:38:33 pm »

Dear MR SMITH

Mine just started:

Dear

Strikes me as indicative of the contempt thats been shown to the membership. Anonymous donors to the board's folly.

In  nutshell - the board knows best, board will do what they decide to do, and the board will increase their take for their hard efforts.

Cheers.
Rule 77

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #284 on: 21 September, 2018, 07:39:59 pm »
Seems to me the Chairman doesn't give a f**k about the members and will just continue to do what he wants , this seems to include changing the rules to allow him to do what ever he wants

I am seriously considering canceling my events for 2019.  As this is no longer a club but a dictatorship! !!!

Hear, hear!
Rule 77

« Reply #285 on: 21 September, 2018, 07:55:27 pm »

I think membership is stunningly good value even increased - it funds the framework that enables rides to happen, means organisers don't have to invent the wheel around so many aspects of the task and provides formats for us to enjoy our hobby.  As a moderniser who wants to see audaxing become more attractive to the cycling massives along with AUK hauled into the 21st century, the implementation of the new website will be an important milestone.

And one more thing, on the AUK forum, the Club Sec has provided an interesting reply to a post from Manotea about the board's powers.  Might be worth a read - I don't know the truth of it but it must help focus debate.

Liam

I'm with you on this one.  Certainly I shall not be casting any stones .  Yes the IT project has gone less than smoothly but I would like to thank the board for their honesty and hardwork.  I am content to see my membership and validation fees increased to cover the cost, as AUK still offer extremely good value for money. 

Audax needs to be hauled into the 21st century to ensure that it capitalizes on the increase of cycling as a pastime and sport.  The new website will be an important element in the modernisation process.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #286 on: 21 September, 2018, 08:02:52 pm »
Strikes me as indicative of the contempt thats been shown to the membership. Anonymous donors to the board's folly.

Hardly. One volunteer was unable to make the mailing software do the right thing.

In  nutshell - the board knows best, board will do what they decide to do, and the board will increase their take for their hard efforts.

The board are volunteers and don't really get anything (the honoraria don't stretch to much!)

I'll continue to pay my membership even though I rarely ride any Audaxes at the moment (temporary membership would be considerably cheaper for me) and I rarely read Awoowoo (and would prefer to read it online anyway).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #287 on: 21 September, 2018, 08:58:38 pm »

Dear MR SMITH

Mine just started:

Dear

At least you've both got emails. I'm still waiting for mine. Apparently not the only one.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #288 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:05:34 pm »
If you can't wait there is a link to it on the homepage of the AUK website.

http://www.aukweb.net/_resources/files/MESSAGE_FROM_THE_CHAIR_OF_AUDAX_UK.pdf

« Reply #289 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:09:09 pm »
Me too, many be soon.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #290 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:10:43 pm »

Dear MR SMITH

Mine just started:

Dear

Cheers.
Hmmm. How much do you think they are paid?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #291 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:11:28 pm »
I think the point is why have only some of the members got the e.mail and not all.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #292 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:19:11 pm »
Yes definitely the basis for a conspiracy theory... Perhaps there's a list .....
Regards,

Joergen

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #293 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:23:16 pm »
...or maybe it's simply because the IT system isn't up to sending that many emails simultaneously.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #294 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:28:15 pm »
I rescued mine from the SPAM box.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #296 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:29:27 pm »
Is our I.T System not up to the job :demon:

« Reply #297 on: 21 September, 2018, 10:01:12 pm »
It's an external service called MailChimp. They send tens of millions of emails a day.

1. Spam filters may have moved it to the junk folder.
2. It's delayed due to a technical problem between Mailchimp and your email provider and the systems will try again periodically so there may be a temporary delay.
3. They don't have your correct email address.
4. It's a conspiracy and they purposely didn't email you.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #298 on: 21 September, 2018, 10:12:27 pm »
I’ve used MailChimp a few times for one of the organisations I’m on the board of. You can send test mailings out, and you can send lovely designed emails, with GDPR compliant stuff ‘n everything. It’s not particularly intuitive though. Until you know how to use it.

They’ll get a list of the rejected emails, and those that Unsubscribe. They’ll know how many maembers don’t have email addresses in their records.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #299 on: 21 September, 2018, 10:52:30 pm »
Dictatorship? LOL!

Get a grip.