Author Topic: Chuck, sell or give away?  (Read 1376 times)

Chuck, sell or give away?
« on: 20 January, 2019, 06:29:12 pm »
I have a over ten-year old iMac. Mid-2007 model, purchased April 2008. Won't run anything later than Mountain Lion. 21" screen.

Would this be of any use to anyone? Not just here, but in general, or should I just scrap it?
The keyboard seems to have died as well, just to make things worse!

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Re: Chuck, sell or give away?
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2019, 08:01:10 am »
If you can wipe it completely clean, stick it on ebay as "spares or repair". It will probably get more than you expect (quite possibly from someone who thinks you've not wiped it properly).
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2019, 09:21:02 am »
I have a G4 tower in the summer house. I have no idea why, but it's a wonderful piece of design. That's probably why enough. I did power it up a couple of years back to send a fax – it was the only thing with a modem in it. Good god, I never noticed at the time, but it's LOUD. And really bloody heavy, it's got a heatsink that means business.

« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2019, 09:29:57 am »
I've still got my Quad G5 here. I really should have sold it years ago.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2019, 09:30:10 am »
I am in a similar position with a 2010 machine which I have agreed to give away.  I can delete everything on the hard disc but how do I overwrite these areas to make sure that there is nothing incriminating still visible?

ian

« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2019, 09:53:45 am »
Can't remember how far the feature goes back, but the Disk Utility on a Mac has a secure erase option that does seven rewrites. If not, there's lots of utilities that will do the same.

« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2019, 02:41:28 pm »
I have one of a similar vintage that I stuck an SSD in and still use it regularly. A combination of the SSD and the later OSX versions being more efficiently written its a lot faster now than when it was new.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2019, 02:54:41 pm »
I have a couple of cheese graters. Lovely machines, one a G5 and one an intel one. No idea what to do with them!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 21 January, 2019, 03:13:05 pm »
I have a couple of cheese graters. Lovely machines, one a G5 and one an intel one. No idea what to do with them!

Enough for a lovely coffee table?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #9 on: 21 January, 2019, 03:33:50 pm »

Dibs to stick a pc mother board in them.