Author Topic: Mille Cymru 2018  (Read 56906 times)

Re: Mille Cymru 2018
« Reply #50 on: 28 September, 2017, 01:00:05 pm »
I was a bit surprised to see this in the description:

This event has a mandatory route - you should follow the route instructions as closely as possible.

« Reply #51 on: 28 September, 2017, 01:09:51 pm »
Nothing unusual about mandatory route, all organizers have this option.

« Reply #52 on: 28 September, 2017, 01:11:17 pm »
And here it is...

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-1000/

Looks superb  :thumbsup:

I was a bit surprised to see this in the description:

This event has a mandatory route - you should follow the route instructions as closely as possible.

Unusual, but I expect it avoids a stack of info controls. I tend to follow the organiser's route on rides in any case.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #53 on: 28 September, 2017, 08:42:47 pm »
Unusual, but I expect it avoids a stack of info controls.

Sounds good to me.

I tend to follow the organiser's route on rides in any case.

Me too - it seems rude not to.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #54 on: 28 September, 2017, 09:18:01 pm »
er, a mandatory route on the Mille Cymru?  I can remember last time not exactly sticking to the route sheet exactly in a few places because I prefered the main road and needed a snack.  But minor deviations are always a risk worth taking.  The route was great anyway

« Reply #55 on: 29 September, 2017, 11:42:47 am »
I deviated into the sea front car park for an ice cream on the last one, and bewildered tourists with the tale of our journey. IF I do it again, I'm happy with a mandatory route (mainly because I don't research the route and flatter/faster alternatives).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #56 on: 29 September, 2017, 12:07:50 pm »
Likewise, I rarely have the time or inclination to study long routes in advance, so stick to the organiser's route wherever possible, unless alternatives are clearly spelled out. Of course, this doesn't prevent unplanned errors of deviation - but in those cases I just re-trace the same way back to the route using the Garmin, usually!
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

whosatthewheel

« Reply #57 on: 29 September, 2017, 01:28:11 pm »
Likewise, I rarely have the time or inclination to study long routes in advance, so stick to the organiser's route wherever possible, unless alternatives are clearly spelled out. Of course, this doesn't prevent unplanned errors of deviation - but in those cases I just re-trace the same way back to the route using the Garmin, usually!

... a follower, more than a leader...  :P

Pete Mas

« Reply #58 on: 29 September, 2017, 02:36:17 pm »

... a follower, more than a leader...  :P

Yep, normally happy just to ride a nice route that the organiser has thought of, which shows off the best of their region.

R.L.Stevenson

whosatthewheel

« Reply #59 on: 29 September, 2017, 03:10:17 pm »

Yep, normally happy just to ride a nice route that the organiser has thought of, which shows off the best of their region.

Likewise, I've only made changes if I knew of a better route

Pete Mas

« Reply #60 on: 29 September, 2017, 03:46:49 pm »

Sure, if the ride is local to me and I know all the roads, I certainly won't avoid the temptation to take all my favourite shortcuts if they're suitable. ;)

R.L.Stevenson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 29 September, 2017, 05:54:50 pm »

I frequently choose to take worse routes.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #62 on: 30 September, 2017, 08:50:26 pm »
'Info Controls' are a weak excuse for what was one time 'Secret controls'...

Which kept most everyone en route back in the day (pre-GPS).

I much prefer following the organiser's 'Route' (generally by GPS these days).

And I would be much happier to submit that for validation rather than faff about with yet another collage of 'Info controls'.

Just my biased opinion BTW.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #63 on: 30 September, 2017, 11:02:22 pm »
'Info Controls' are a weak excuse for what was one time 'Secret controls'...

Which kept most everyone en route back in the day (pre-GPS).

I much prefer following the organiser's 'Route' (generally by GPS these days).

And I would be much happier to submit that for validation rather than faff about with yet another collage of 'Info controls'.

Just my biased opinion BTW.
Agree with this, a couple of infos is manageable but if you start getting multiples between adjacent proper controls it's more of a hassle.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #64 on: 01 October, 2017, 03:21:38 pm »
For John's route, stretches can be shortened by bashing down A roads (some trunk), so unless made mandatory, the route would need a number of info controls.
To get down from Upton Magna down to Hay away from the A49 we'll be able to enjoy the 'undulating' road via Bishop's Castle, Knighton and Clun, and then go over Gospel Pass/Llanthony (rather than Golden Valley) towards Monmouth/A466/Tintern. We can stay off the A40 too (at that time of day) from Abergavenny to Brecon, by taking the Govillon, Llangynidr/Tal-y-bont road on the south side. The Pembrokeshire coast road south of Newgale is not to be missed - but it'd be faster, easier and more boring through Haverfordwest to the bridge over the Cleddau. Carmarthen to Llandovery will be much nicer on the A4069/Bethlehem Road south of and parallel to the less attractive A40. And we can enjoy the Elan reservoirs and excursions into the Hafren forest (to Staylittle).

« Reply #65 on: 01 October, 2017, 08:22:33 pm »
How is the route made mandatory? Does this mean riders have to have a gps device for proof of passage?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #66 on: 01 October, 2017, 08:36:00 pm »
How is the route made mandatory? Does this mean riders have to have a gps device for proof of passage?
Are you honest?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #67 on: 01 October, 2017, 08:41:01 pm »
Yes, I am honest. Genuinely asking a question - wondering how mandatory routes work if you are a route sheet user (there are still a few of us!)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #68 on: 01 October, 2017, 08:42:21 pm »
Eh, you follow the route sheet.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #69 on: 01 October, 2017, 08:45:23 pm »
How do you provide proof of passage then if there are no infos?

« Reply #70 on: 01 October, 2017, 08:47:14 pm »
Yes, I am honest. Genuinely asking a question - wondering how mandatory routes work if you are a route sheet user (there are still a few of us!)

Expect a secret control or two. They may not exist, of course, and that's the best kind...

Dale's got me thinking about this ride. It's a while since I went to Wales.

« Reply #71 on: 01 October, 2017, 09:00:29 pm »

Expect a secret control or two. They may not exist, of course, and that's the best kind...

Dale's got me thinking about this ride. It's a while since I went to Wales.
AND! we can ride to the start! It's just a bit further than the Peak District iirc.

« Reply #72 on: 01 October, 2017, 09:02:52 pm »
Upton Magna is 300 km from Darlo....

« Reply #73 on: 01 October, 2017, 11:57:13 pm »

Honest riders will follow the route because it's the route and they're honest.

Dishonest riders will follow the route because there might be a secret control just around the next corner.

(And if you take a shortcut, or a different route, and there wasn't a secret control, who are you going to tell about your cleverness?)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #74 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:28:47 am »

Nope, no extra proof of passage is required - it's all on trust (with a sprinkling of secret controls).

PBP has always worked this way. No GPS required, and even the Brits (almost) always stick to the official route :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles