Author Topic: This Christmas, We Will Not Have....  (Read 4719 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: This Christmas, We Will Not Have....
« Reply #25 on: 24 December, 2018, 09:38:41 pm »
We're not having alcohol. We just don't care for it.
David doesn't like mulled wine so that's off.

We will celebrate by skipping anything disliked and enjoying things we favour

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #26 on: 24 December, 2018, 09:54:56 pm »
Christmas dinner.  Because, due to various NHS GIG rosters, (Mrs B and #2 son) today was the only day we could all be together. So Christmas dinner was had this evening.
Mrs B was working today, so I was allowed to cook the dinner.  :thumbsup:. She managed to get away and get home by 4 having collected #1 son from the station on the way.  #2 son and fiancee will have to leave after presents around the tree early on Christmas morning.

Dog bless all the blue light first responders and NHS staff working through Christmas.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #27 on: 24 December, 2018, 10:29:02 pm »
because anybody can eat vegan

How does that work ?

All can eat vegan but vegans and vegetarians can't eat meat and vegans cannot eat vegetarian.

Not true.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 25 December, 2018, 09:13:25 pm »
Any Foodstuff needing to included the word quality in the name is like a country with a name including Democratic.

POTD
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #29 on: 25 December, 2018, 09:20:20 pm »
Presents.

We almost managed it - nothing for each other - but the message didn't quite get through to the rest of my family so in fact we received the usual desultory selection. But I mustn't be a curmudgeon about it.

I bought myself a new pair of running shoes last week because my old running shoes are literally falling apart so it's something I actually need. I may have suggested out loud that they were my christmas present to myself but in truth the timing of the purchase is purely coincidental.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #30 on: 26 December, 2018, 01:31:31 pm »
MrsT reckons she gets about 800k out of a pair. She has a chum who is sponsored by Altra, who always give her a few pairs to pass around. MrsT takes the same size so she's had her last few pairs for nowt.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #31 on: 26 December, 2018, 05:21:29 pm »
Presents.

We almost managed it - nothing for each other - but the message didn't quite get through to the rest of my family so in fact we received the usual desultory selection. But I mustn't be a curmudgeon about it.

I bought myself a new pair of running shoes last week because my old running shoes are literally falling apart so it's something I actually need. I may have suggested out loud that they were my christmas present to myself but in truth the timing of the purchase is purely coincidental.

This is why we don't buy presents – it seems pointless to wait till Christmas, we'll just buy stuff we need when we need it. My inlaws bought me a jumper. I'm sure it's lovely, but if I need a new sweater, I'll just buy one. Fact is that I have an entire drawer full of jumpers anyway, it's not like I'm going to run out anytime soon.

My only real Christmas gripe is I usually make a calendar for my wife (and her for me) with our photos from the year. This year, Apple in their infinite wisdom discontinued the bloody calendar printing service. There's are third-party ones but even more expensive than the Apple one, which wasn't close to being cheap. Yeah, I know there's loads of alternative online services, but I'd have to export and upload photos, figure out how they work, and blah blah #firstworldproblems.  Oh, put away your tiny violins.

I might buy an Apple watch in the New Year, but that's for me. This is mostly so I can buy beer with my wrist. I figure this might tide me over until the actual future of socially acceptable skin-tight lurex wearing and hovercars actually arrives. My wife did muse, after a few glasses of Pedro Ximinez, whether the work-out auto-detection features works for the sort of personal exercise activities that involve a lot of wrist motion. Then remembered her mother was on the sofa opposite and she hadn't been quite so euphemistic. I say we ask an in-store Genius if there's a wank detection feature. You've got to figure that there's an app for that.

I did spent two hours earlier showing the in-laws how their new Toyota works. Took a while, clunkiest in-car satnav ever, I'd just use my phone. I dunno who writes the software for cars, but they should stop.

citoyen

« Reply #32 on: 26 December, 2018, 05:31:02 pm »
MrsT reckons she gets about 800k out of a pair. She has a chum who is sponsored by Altra, who always give her a few pairs to pass around. MrsT takes the same size so she's had her last few pairs for nowt.

The ones I've just retired have clocked up over 1000km according to Strava. Well overdue replacing!

« Reply #33 on: 26 December, 2018, 09:55:25 pm »
Presents.

This is why we don't buy presents – it seems pointless to wait till Christmas, we'll just buy stuff we need when we need it. My inlaws bought me a jumper. I'm sure it's lovely, but if I need a new sweater, I'll just buy one. Fact is that I have an entire drawer full of jumpers anyway, it's not like I'm going to run out anytime soon.

My only real Christmas gripe is I usually make a calendar for my wife (and her for me) with our photos from the year. This year, Apple in their infinite wisdom discontinued the bloody calendar printing service. There's are third-party ones but even more expensive than the Apple one, which wasn't close to being cheap. Yeah, I know there's loads of alternative online services, but I'd have to export and upload photos, figure out how they work, and blah blah #firstworldproblems.  Oh, put away your tiny violins.

I might buy an Apple watch in the New Year, but that's for me. This is mostly so I can buy beer with my wrist. I figure this might tide me over until the actual future of socially acceptable skin-tight lurex wearing and hovercars actually arrives. My wife did muse, after a few glasses of Pedro Ximinez, whether the work-out auto-detection features works for the sort of personal exercise activities that involve a lot of wrist motion. Then remembered her mother was on the sofa opposite and she hadn't been quite so euphemistic. I say we ask an in-store Genius if there's a wank detection feature. You've got to figure that there's an app for that.

I did spent two hours earlier showing the in-laws how their new Toyota works. Took a while, clunkiest in-car satnav ever, I'd just use my phone. I dunno who writes the software for cars, but they should stop.
My bold.
That made Oi Larf  :D.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #34 on: 26 December, 2018, 10:31:16 pm »
Shop closing time arrived on Christmas Eve and I relaxed for a nano second and then thought "Bugger! I haven't got anything for Jan! I just know she will have got something for me* and I will spend all Christmas day feeling awful."

So branes were racked and eventually I came up with a perfect solution: we had been discussing the possibility of a break somewhere in February and San Sebastian had been uppermost in my thoughts (as ever, Jan was noncommittal and, to be fair, preferred watching ancient episodes of "Silent Witness" on her computer). That Speshact chap is there and has been sending back some very fine photos. So I hied me onto booking.com and found a reasonable deal in San Sebastian, booked a double room for a week, printed off the pages, put them in an envelope and there was Jan's fait accompli Christmas present. The deal has a no-penalty cancellation deadline of 3rd Feb so I even thought about what we would do if she doesn't like the idea.

And, as they say, it's the thought that counts...

*As it transpires, I was wrong! So I felt very smug.  :smug:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.