Author Topic: Ladies, check your tights!!!  (Read 24666 times)

Re: Ladies, check your tights!!!
« Reply #75 on: 16 April, 2011, 12:01:05 pm »

As Kim suggested earlier, why not start a female equivolent of a laddish thread?
i,can.t,ne,nothered,to,respond,to,your,whole,post,while,my,keynoard,is,still,fuckered,so,i.ll,just,respond,to,this,nit,for,now.,

i,can.t,speak,for,the,other,women,nut,it,would,nefer,occur,to,me,to,start,a,thread,for,the,purposes,of,judging,men.s,appearances.,i,find,lots,of,men,attractife,-,and,one,woman,-,nut,i,hafe,ansolutely,no,desire,to,discuss,the,sixe,of,their,chests,or,the,set,of,their,eyes,or,how,dirty,they,might,ne
in,ned.,and,i,certainly,wouldn.t,do,it,on,a,forum,dedicated,to,a,predominantly,female,pasttime,where,it,was,widely,acknowledged,that,more,men,
would,ne,a,good,thing,for,the,pasttime,and,that,the,attitudes,of,some,women,was,a,deterrent,to,men,joining,in.,

Kirst, you have my sympathies with your epic keyboard fail! if you need a new one I could stick one of my many spares in the post to you!

« Reply #76 on: 16 April, 2011, 12:39:09 pm »
I don't think it's a simple 2 way division of male v female opinions and attitudes. I reckon there are a good few men on this forum who stop reading and posting in threads that descend into laddish chit chat.

Yes and yes.

If I get bored of a thread I just stop reading it. There are many threads here I chose not to read because I know the topic is of no interest to me or is likely to piss me off.

Yyyyup. +1

This forum has a really wide range of topics only a fraction of which include cycling and I think that is one of th....

Yes

When threads descend into slanging matches occasionally I sometimes find even that amusing to watch in a freak-show kind of way, and it reminds me to try and keep my temper out in the real world lest I end up sounding like I am a 9 year old arguing in the school playground too  ;D

;D ;D ;D

I think alexb is in a no-win situation with regards to the OP. The messenger is often the one to get shot! When I see the stuff my daughter and her friends wear when they know exactly what their outfit looks like from all angles, I would be surprised if many of the female cyclists with hearts on their knickers actually care if anyone can see them. You would not necessarily be doing them a favour by pointing it out to them, ignorance is bliss and all that, if they did care then they would then be embarrassed. I reckon it would be a safer option just to admire the view and let their friends and work colleagues worry about telling them they can see their arse  ;D

And again, yes. It can be a highly embarrassing and very delicate issue for some and taken very personally while others would think, "So what?"
I too sit back and enjoy the cringeworthy comedy and let them, ahem, crack on.

Maybe it's just me, but life is short and sometimes tough, and if someone can get any enjoyment out of looking at my lycra clad arse then they are quite welcome to ride behind me .... but there are much better looking and faster moving arses out there to draft behind  ;D

Yet again, yes. Now I know how the man from Del Monte feels!
10/10 for agreement.

« Reply #77 on: 16 April, 2011, 01:29:18 pm »

As Kim suggested earlier, why not start a female equivolent of a laddish thread?
i,can.t,ne,nothered,to,respond,to,your,whole,post,while,my,keynoard,is,still,fuckered,so,i.ll,just,respond,to,this,nit,for,now.,

i,can.t,speak,for,the,other,women,nut,it,would,nefer,occur,to,me,to,start,a,thread,for,the,purposes,of,judging,men.s,appearances.,i,find,lots,of,men,attractife,-,and,one,woman,-,nut,i,hafe,ansolutely,no,desire,to,discuss,the,sixe,of,their,chests,or,the,set,of,their,eyes,or,how,dirty,they,might,ne
in,ned.,and,i,certainly,wouldn.t,do,it,on,a,forum,dedicated,to,a,predominantly,female,pasttime,where,it,was,widely,acknowledged,that,more,men,
would,ne,a,good,thing,for,the,pasttime,and,that,the,attitudes,of,some,women,was,a,deterrent,to,men,joining,in.,

Mostly this.  Also, because if something bothers me, the solution is not to start doing it myself.  I get cat-called in the street, both on and off the bike.  I can't go to the supermarket in  skirt without some knob hanging out of their car going "nice legs" or "nice arse".  They might think I will find it flattering.  I don't.  I just want to do my shopping.

I have never thought the solution to this would be to start cat-calling other random men in the street because (a) they wouldn't know I was doing it for that reason, (b) I'd probably end up getting sexually assaulted if I did it enough times, (c) I'd be hypocritical and (d) it would never occur to me to do it.

« Reply #78 on: 16 April, 2011, 02:56:47 pm »
Just from reading this forum alone, the men seem to (overtly?) perv a helluva lot more than the women. It is rare that there's a thread consisting of female posters perving, be it over men or women. And that's just this forum.
A former girlfriend of mine told me that she first noticed me when cycling up a hill behind me. She liked the view enough that it led to three years together.

I've had a few "nice arse!" shouts, usually from young women in groups.

I suspect the difference is largely one of perceived social acceptability & likely consequences.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #79 on: 16 April, 2011, 08:03:12 pm »

Kirst, you have my sympathies with your epic keyboard fail! if you need a new one I could stick one of my many spares in the post to you!
thanks,nut,it.s,fine.,it.s,a,laptop,and,the,repair,shop,hafe,ordered,a,replacement,and,i.m,just,waiting,for,it,to,arrife,so,they,can,do,the,switch.,

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #80 on: 18 April, 2011, 06:27:07 pm »

Mostly this.  Also, because if something bothers me, the solution is not to start doing it myself. 

Mostly, there can be exceptions. But in this situation, I agree.
I was thinking more along the lines of ladies who feel that way inclined to do the same as men. You don't feel that way inclined, so yes, do what is right for you.
I've been on the recieving end of this myself. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, more the opposite.

I get cat-called in the street, both on and off the bike.  I can't go to the supermarket in  skirt without some knob hanging out of their car going "nice legs" or "nice arse".  They might think I will find it flattering.  I don't.  I just want to do my shopping.

Harrassment from knobheads. Having spent 9 years in a factory, working alongside some knobheads, I found that the most effective way of dealing with them was this.
Let them make their comment, then look directly at them. Show no emotion, just look. Even better if you have to turn to look at them. They run out of things to say and feel rather stupid. You'll visibly see when you've beaten them. They may feel insulted by it, but hey tough luck, they shouldn't harrass you.
It worked and still works well for me, so I hope you find that helpfull. Once they get the message, you will hopefully find the harrassment level drops.
I've changed people's behaviour doing this. Turned them into a better worker and less of a prat who wants to mess around all day. He even told me this himself and also said it improved his life at work. I made working life better for a number of people, so I hope it works for you.

« Reply #81 on: 18 April, 2011, 06:40:58 pm »
A former girlfriend of mine told me that she first noticed me when cycling up a hill behind me. She liked the view enough that it led to three years together.

I've had a few "nice arse!" shouts, usually from young women in groups.

I suspect the difference is largely one of perceived social acceptability & likely consequences.

Yes, I've had that too and TBH I think I enjoy it more than dislike it. It happens very rarely though. I've even had it from fellow straight men, one of which I'm sure was drooling over my rear so much, thought I was female. That's what I reckon anyway, judging by the horrified look on his face when I looked at him.

That's no excuse though.
Us menfolk really do need to get the message that those womenfolk really don't like it, so we really must stop harrassing them. I thought it was common knowledge that women hate this behaviour. Sure, there must be some that enjoy it, but why risk causing great offence, intimidating or bullying someone?
I reckon if we try hard enough we can get ourselves as well behaved as the ladies. and that, at least would be worth aiming for.

Smiling work for me. I saw some lovely ladies out and about in the sunshine yesterday. I gave them a smile, sometimes a friendly nod too. I recived smiles and waves in return. I also smiled to people I didn't find attractive too because I like to smile and be happy. I reckon I brightened up a few people's day a little bit and they also brightened up my day. Not everyne smiled back, but never mind, nobody seemed offended or upset. Now isn't that much better than being an arse and upsetting people?

« Reply #82 on: 18 April, 2011, 06:57:56 pm »

Yes, I've had that too and TBH I think I enjoy it more than dislike it. It happens very rarely though.

This is only because women tend to do more of the silent kind of admiration :)

+1 to smiling. I've been told occasionally that I smile too much. I don't care. I have a lot in my life to be happy about, including riding an awesome bike. Smiling can make others feel good, and the endorphins you release yourself in the process can make you feel good, it's a win-win!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #83 on: 18 April, 2011, 07:03:29 pm »
+1 to smiling. I've been told occasionally that I smile too much. I don't care. I have a lot in my life to be happy about, including riding an awesome bike.
We just thought you were a bit simple  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #84 on: 18 April, 2011, 07:08:54 pm »
+1 to smiling. I've been told occasionally that I smile too much. I don't care. I have a lot in my life to be happy about, including riding an awesome bike.
We just thought you were a bit simple  ;)

Well, there is that too ;)

« Reply #85 on: 18 April, 2011, 07:15:01 pm »

I sometimes have my suspisions. Sometimes a car will sit behind me for a while when they can easily overtake, when they do, it's often when another car comes up behind them. Invariably, the first car has a lady or ladies.
I have had a number of women give me favourable comments about my rear, especially when I ride my bike. 8)
Well, I can dream can't I? ;)

+1 to smiling. I've been told occasionally that I smile too much. I don't care. I have a lot in my life to be happy about, including riding an awesome bike. Smiling can make others feel good, and the endorphins you release yourself in the process can make you feel good, it's a win-win!

Atta girl :thumbsup:
You keep on smiling. I've been extremely miserable at one point in my life. I probably had some kind of depression. Trust me I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Unhappiness is a living death and depression is a potentialy life threatening illness. Smiling and being happy is very good for your health, so keep it up.

« Reply #86 on: 18 April, 2011, 07:19:20 pm »

Atta girl :thumbsup:
You keep on smiling. I've been extremely miserable at one point in my life. I probably had some kind of depression. Trust me I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Unhappiness is a living death and depression is a potentialy life threatening illness. Smiling and being happy is very good for your health, so keep it up.

+1 to this too, I had clinical depression over a 5 year period for which I had various meds and help. The way out of it included exercise and smiling among other things (getting rid of the ex-husband was quite a big one of the 'things')  :)

« Reply #87 on: 18 April, 2011, 07:23:18 pm »

me too!  I get called Genial, I quite like it...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #88 on: 18 April, 2011, 07:48:47 pm »
Back when i did more running than cycling, a group of teenage girls shouted at me:

Show us your willy!

The nice thing about cycling is that you are usually out of earshot a lot quicker than when on foot.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #89 on: 18 April, 2011, 07:51:06 pm »
and,the,nice,thing,anout,neing,a,man,is,you,can,ne,reasonanly,certain,that,the,shouters,won.t,follow,you,up,the,street,continuing
to,shout,or,surround,you,and,make,you,fear,for,your,safety,or,pin,you,against,a,wall,ny,the,throat,and,grope,you., :-\
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Rapples

« Reply #90 on: 18 April, 2011, 07:51:32 pm »
Back when i did more running than cycling, a group of teenage girls shouted at me:

Show us your willy!

I bet with hindsight you wish you hadn't though :-*

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #91 on: 18 April, 2011, 07:54:22 pm »

Show us your willy!

I bet with hindsight you wish you hadn't though :-*

Too right!

Why can't women say what they really mean? :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #92 on: 18 April, 2011, 08:34:33 pm »
and,the,nice,thing,anout,neing,a,man,is,you,can,ne,reasonanly,certain,that,the,shouters,won.t,follow,you,up,the,street,continuing
to,shout,or,surround,you,and,make,you,fear,for,your,safety,or,pin,you,against,a,wall,ny,the,throat,and,grope,you., :-\

That, for me, augments what NSTN said. It's not only the harassment, unpleasantness, stupidity and  ::-). It also creates an environment of fear and intimidation. It only takes a few to make someone wary of all.
So, it's not just that a man may be a perv, he may do something untoward. It's most unlikely but you never know, so there is always that element of the unknown. Paranoia the life preserver. I also think it's fair to say that women have a deserved stereotype for being much less of a danger or threat to any member of public. So yes, it seems logical that threadbare clothing would be better pointed out to a woman from another woman.

« Reply #93 on: 18 April, 2011, 09:00:30 pm »

That, for me, augments what NSTN said. It's not only the harassment, unpleasantness, stupidity and  ::-). It also creates an environment of fear and intimidation. It only takes a few to make someone wary of all.
So, it's not just that a man may be a perv, he may do something untoward. It's most unlikely but you never know, so there is always that element of the unknown. Paranoia the life preserver. I also think it's fair to say that women have a deserved stereotype for being much less of a danger or threat to any member of public. So yes, it seems logical that threadbare clothing would be better pointed out to a woman from another woman.

I am probably more of a threat to the general public than anyone realises  ;D

I guess I haven't had that much first hand experience of harassment of this kind. That probably says more about me than the area I live in! I rode 72 miles today in shorts and and a vest top and the only comment I had was a group of 3 chavs near Avonmouth said to me as I passed 'your back wheel is following your front wheel'  ???
I guess that means I must be a fugly 40 year old mum of 2  ;D

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #94 on: 18 April, 2011, 09:20:10 pm »

Show us your willy!

I've always wanted to be cycling through a small town at 3am and have a bunch of girls shout:

Show us yer nuts,

just so I can say:

It's three in the morning and I've got 250km to go - what more proof do you need?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

simonp

« Reply #95 on: 18 April, 2011, 10:28:00 pm »

One of the few times I’ve ended up with a black eye was because of intervening in something that I thought might head that way.  Drunk late middle aged man harassing a lone woman in a car park.  He followed me after I’d intervened, and punched me in the face.

simonp

« Reply #96 on: 18 April, 2011, 10:30:54 pm »
I was following cycling yoof home in the sunshine on Friday.  You know those silly hipster jeans?

:hand:

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #97 on: 18 April, 2011, 10:31:44 pm »
I guess I haven't had that much first hand experience of harassment of this kind. That probably says more about me than the area I live in! I rode 72 miles today in shorts and and a vest top and the only comment I had was a group of 3 chavs near Avonmouth said to me as I passed 'your back wheel is following your front wheel'  ???
I guess that means I must be a fugly 40 year old mum of 2  ;D
Cheer up.  I went for a ride yesterday in trousers and a jersey, on the SUAB.  I went to collect some bean sticks - sticks for my beans to grow up.  I put them on the rack and went home, stick end bound to the rack and twiggy end sticking out the back.  Some 1/2 wit yelled "...witch..."  Given the tone it wasn't short for "Cool! a modern sort of witch's broomstick".  I was unimpressed.
Yr fellow (over-)40 yr old mum of 2.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

simonp

« Reply #98 on: 18 April, 2011, 10:35:21 pm »
“G’won four eyed fraggle” as I walked down Green End Rd in Cambridge in 1994 or so.  I had longer hair then.

« Reply #99 on: 18 April, 2011, 10:37:32 pm »
“G’won four eyed fraggle” as I walked down Green End Rd in Cambridge in 1994 or so.  I had longer hair then.

Fraggle is a term of endearment not an insult  :D