Author Topic: BBC Cycling Documentary "irresponsible"  (Read 35602 times)

LEE

Re: BBC Cycling Documentary "irresponsible"
« Reply #50 on: 05 December, 2012, 03:19:12 pm »
Just tried calling the Beeb to complain. I got a recorded message saying that they were overloaded with phone calls  ;D As stated earlier in this thread I made a complaint online www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

What was the nature of your complaint? 

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #51 on: 05 December, 2012, 03:40:05 pm »
Just tried calling the Beeb to complain. I got a recorded message saying that they were overloaded with phone calls  ;D As stated earlier in this thread I made a complaint online www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

What has been earlier stated above. Keep up  :demon:

« Reply #52 on: 05 December, 2012, 03:41:57 pm »

Misleading content.

I haven't seen the programme either but from reading about it from people who have seen it, it shows commercial video of organised illegal cycle racing as if it was amateur video taken by cyclists as they go about on their everyday business. And the programme doesn't say what it is nor where it comes from.

spindrift

« Reply #53 on: 05 December, 2012, 03:43:46 pm »

I will complain if they don't change the Brunelle footage,there's no good reason for it being there and LeopardFilms don't appear to make it clear it's a filmed stunt by a bunch of cockwits.

Toady

« Reply #54 on: 05 December, 2012, 03:49:11 pm »
I'm chuckling at the idea that after the program a very serious Alvar Lidell BBC Voice will say, "The BBC wish to make it clear that certain of the footage in this program was a filmed stunt by a bunch of cockwits".

« Reply #55 on: 05 December, 2012, 03:52:54 pm »
I've made an online complaint but it says it'll only be looked at the next day. But the BBC must know about the media stories condemning the programme. Are they just going to show it anyway and apologise afterwards, or are they going to insist it's video of actual events which seems to be the current justification. And what about breaching its own guidelines?

LEE

« Reply #56 on: 05 December, 2012, 03:57:10 pm »
I once stood outside a Cinema, waiting to watch "Life of Brian".  There were religious protesters parading up and down saying that it was blasphemous..etc. 

I criticised them for complaining about something they hadn't seen, so that prevents me from doing the same.

Like I said, I'll watch it first and consider complaining if it's offensive.

All the videos I've watched of "Courier Racing" have been offensive to me so I'm interested to see how it is portrayed.  If they are portrayed as an isolated bunch of irresponsible twats then that's fine.  If they are portrayed as the average commuter then it's not.

fuzzy

« Reply #57 on: 05 December, 2012, 03:58:49 pm »

I will complain if they don't change the Brunelle footage,there's no good reason for it being there and LeopardFilms don't appear to make it clear it's a filmed stunt by a bunch of cockwits.

I disagree. There is a good reason for it being there. The cockwits went and did it and it has/ will happen again.

It needs to be made perfectly clear however that a) the footage relates to an illegal, organised stunt set up by, involving, circulated and publicised by cockwits, that it does not represent wider cycling in Great Britain, Britain, England, Scotland, Wales, Norn Irleand or that bit of the Terran entity encapsulated by the M25 and b) Cockwits in mechanicaly propelled vehicles behave in exactly the same manner.

fuzzy

« Reply #58 on: 05 December, 2012, 03:59:34 pm »

I disagree. There is a good reason for it being there. The cockwits went and did it and it has/ will happen again.

It needs to be made perfectly clear however that a) the footage relates to an illegal, organised stunt set up by, involving, circulated and publicised by cockwits, that it does not represent wider cycling in Great Britain, Britain, England, Scotland, Wales, Norn Irleand or that bit of the Terran entity encapsulated by the M25 and b) Cockwits in mechanicaly propelled vehicles behave in exactly the same manner.

spindrift

« Reply #59 on: 05 December, 2012, 04:03:43 pm »
If the programme makers think there's a good reason for it being there then they should also include footage of boy racers using public roads as racetracks like the three drivers implicated in two deaths this week. I doubt that they will.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #60 on: 05 December, 2012, 04:06:10 pm »
Here's Roger Geffen's take on how things stand:

CTC Blog
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

spindrift

« Reply #61 on: 05 December, 2012, 04:34:12 pm »
The BBC have form for some terrible reporting on cycling:

http://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing-as-road-tax/bbc-east-midlands-reporter-belittles-death-of-a-cyclist-says-cyclists-dont-pay-road-tax/

After Karl Austin was killed by a speeding HGV driver the BBC interviewer asks why cyclists don't pay road tax.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #62 on: 05 December, 2012, 04:50:50 pm »
That was a really good article from Roger Geffen.

Carlton has updated his article:
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/bbc-doc-portrays-dvd-stunt-cycling-footage-as-standard-behaviour/014036

spindrift

« Reply #63 on: 05 December, 2012, 04:57:56 pm »
From her welsehness' link:

One of the cyclists says it would be perfectly acceptable to use violence against cyclists riding in such a way.

Who on earth said that?

spindrift

« Reply #64 on: 05 December, 2012, 05:01:32 pm »
Cyclegaz talking about how drivers respond when you touch their vehicle – it shows he was too close. Cabbie still ranting. “Did I over-react? Maybe I did. But I’m just going about my business” – seen getting back in cab.

That's the cabbie who steers into Gaz then gets out and assaults him. If the cabbie was intent on going about his business why stopand get out? Why didn't they ask him that?

I don't have high hopes for an illuminating and educational film on cycling from the makers of Cash In The Attic.

Toady

« Reply #65 on: 05 December, 2012, 05:06:45 pm »
It seems that (a) it will be utter rubbish and (b) it will further convince my wife that cycling is on a par with base jumping as a safe leisure activity.

I think I'll work on my backlog of episodes of The Killing tonight.

spindrift

« Reply #66 on: 05 December, 2012, 05:07:56 pm »
Cyclists aren’t only to blame, probably two thirds to blame

They're putting this garbage out unchallenged? That's from the synopsis at the end of her welsness' link.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #67 on: 05 December, 2012, 05:11:26 pm »
That shocked me, too.  If the synopsis is accurate, then it is not a programme which will do anything to advance understanding, which is what many of us feared when the researchers started looking for footage for this.
Getting there...

« Reply #68 on: 05 December, 2012, 05:14:28 pm »
Cyclists aren’t only to blame, probably two thirds to blame

They're putting this garbage out unchallenged? That's from the synopsis at the end of her welsness' link.
Could that be in reference to the, now, retracted statement from BoJo about who's at fault in KSI's?

spindrift

« Reply #69 on: 05 December, 2012, 05:18:05 pm »
I don't think so, it seems to be from the lorry driver who's grandson was killed after being doored and thrown under a bus.

Vox Pops are cheap, don't require any actual work, and can be ill-informed rubbish, like on this occasion.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #70 on: 05 December, 2012, 06:22:51 pm »
‏@carltonreid has just tweeted:
Tim Davie, acting Director-General of BBC, is aware of controversy over #bbcwaronroads & has responded. Update soon.
Pen Pusher

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #71 on: 05 December, 2012, 07:07:03 pm »
If the programme makers think there's a good reason for it being there then they should also include footage of boy racers using public roads as racetracks like the three drivers implicated in two deaths this week. I doubt that they will.

^^ This ^^

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
« Reply #72 on: 05 December, 2012, 07:51:21 pm »
It all sounds pretty stupid and overblown.  I feel lucky that I won't get to see this piece of trash which could, given the material, have been an interesting and thoughtful documentary.

But of little interest to joe public who would much rather see an over blown claptrap that bares little resembalance to reality ;)
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

simonp

« Reply #73 on: 05 December, 2012, 08:09:40 pm »
I presume the Brunelle footage is used for 'balance' ie showing cyclists behaving badly to avoid giving the impression that the real danger on the roads is from motorists.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #74 on: 05 December, 2012, 08:43:19 pm »
It's a pretty crap war: all the dead are on our side.  Or carside friendly fire.  Who calls that a war?  Only Israel has the chutzpah to work stats like that.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.