Author Topic: CTC rebranding  (Read 55534 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: CTC rebranding
« Reply #475 on: 01 June, 2016, 07:31:25 pm »
Ah.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Just looked at it again and your wording also appears, above the tick boxes. I really should read the whole thing before posting.  :-[ :-[ :-[
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #476 on: 02 June, 2016, 05:31:33 pm »
It's all bloody smoke & mirrors on the part of CTC's current management. Even if the 'rescind' vote goes through (as I suspect it might, by a small margin), it only means that The Council can put forward a new resolution to rebrand the day after the result is announced - this would of course be anti-democratic, but that doesn't seem to bother the current junta.
While I prefer the heritage aspects of the old name, I can understand why a more inclusive moniker is needed, but what I object to is the way the whole debacle is being conducted by what seem to be self-serving charity careerists with no eye on their members - sorry, supporters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #477 on: 02 June, 2016, 05:37:58 pm »
I'm sure they'd put through a new resolution but perhaps after some sort of consultation. Or at least a bit more thought as to what makes a distinctive name and a non-silly set of initials. (What they really need is perhaps a totally different name, maybe not even mentioning cycling, as when the Pedestrians Association renamed itself Living Streets. Then again, perhaps it's not.)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #478 on: 02 June, 2016, 06:16:58 pm »
I didn't join CTC because I was a cycle tourist. I wasn't and I'm still not. I joined in spite of that. Had there been a different cycling organisation offering benefits to me I'd probably have joined it. There wasn't.

On balance, cycling UK sounds more inclusive than cyclists touring club. My kids are more likely to join it too.

As long as it does the right things, what they call it is of secondary importance to me, though I accept that it is of primary importance to them.
Good post.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #479 on: 21 June, 2016, 05:07:23 pm »
The ERS approach to voting security is bizarre. What's the point in "two part security" when both parts are printed on the same sheet of paper and there is no other info needed to vote?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #480 on: 22 June, 2016, 10:14:55 pm »
There seems to be strong support from those on the campaign mailing list who struggle to get across to council officials that the CTC is not just about a few leisure cyclists. For us the rebrand is a good thing.

Voted (along with all the rest of the family) to support the rebrand. It makes sense.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
« Reply #481 on: 24 June, 2016, 11:12:30 am »
Referendum result
May be too early to tell but
How will UK withdraw from the EU affect the CTC/CUK e.g.
Awarding of grants /contracts whose money originate in via the EU?
Will there be any other affect on cycling in the UK or UK citizen cycling in the EU?
Will CTC/CUK leaver ECF https://ecf.com/ ?
If Scotland leavers the UK will they leave the CTC/CUK?
Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

« Reply #482 on: 24 June, 2016, 01:08:35 pm »
Given that the CTC started as a Touring Club (that neverless campaigned due to  Tourists and Transport(utilty) cyclists needing the same things, and many(most?) Tourists also engaging in utility cycling) it seems dubious for those who claim no interest in Touring think it OK to rename the whole organisation to exclude the word Touring:  it already has the separately named CDF, so why not call the Campaigning side Cycling-UK (or something) and leave the headoffice parts (letters/departments/webpages etc) dealing with Touring  matters branded as Cyclist Touring Club, thus preserving its heritage and not pointlessly annoying Touring members*?.  *an amount of whom are already annoyed by the sudden removal of the Technical and Touring Officer.....

(Member groups can already remain calling themselves CTC/Cyclists Touring Club though I don't know how they could be stopped from so doing....)

« Reply #483 on: 07 July, 2016, 01:41:32 pm »
Better vote tonight!

I'm leaning towards voting to confirm resoln to rebrand.  I assume this means keep the 'we are cycling UK logo', which I don't really like, but prolly more inclusive than 'CTC'.

If the resolution was rescinded, would there be a subsequent motion to come up with a different 'rebrand' I wonder...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #484 on: 08 July, 2016, 06:06:47 am »
Thanks for the reminder AO, just voted with 3 hours to spare (I was inclined to agree with you).

« Reply #485 on: 08 July, 2016, 03:57:05 pm »
The result was 6,533 to endorse the decision with 3,694 to overturn.

Philip Benstead

« Reply #486 on: 08 July, 2016, 06:03:16 pm »
    Official notice: Poll of the Whole Club result
The Poll of members called by ex-Councillor Philip Benstead, and published in the June/July issue of ‘Cycle’ magazine, to endorse or overturn the decision of the Council to adopt the trading name of Cycling UK closed today. The result was 6,533 to endorse the decision with 3,694 to overturn. Chair of Council David Cox said: “Thank you to all who took the time to vote. The Cyclists’ Touring Club continues to be the legal name of the charity but with Cycling UK as our new trading name to reach the broadest audience possible. We are extremely proud of the heritage and achievements of the Cyclists’ Touring Club over the last 138 years. Many of our local Member Groups will continue to run their activities under the name Cyclists’ Touring Club as that best describes what they do. For many of our other initiatives in campaigns, off-road and community cycling projects, the name Cycling UK is less prescriptive when promoting the breadth of activities that they do. But together as cyclists we are driven by the passion and enthusiasm of all our members and supporters who make Cycling UK welcoming to all.”   

Total for poll = 10,227 that represents 15.26% of the membership
Total for CTC = 3,694 that represents 5.51% of the membership
Total for CTC = 36.12%
Total for CUK = 6,533 that represents 9.75% of the membership
Total for CUK = 63.87%

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #487 on: 08 July, 2016, 07:49:27 pm »
Yup, it's all gone a bit brexit...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #488 on: 08 July, 2016, 08:17:33 pm »
Not sure about Brexit; after all, most people seemed to care one way or another there. The overwhelming message from this "referendum" is a very small number of people care very deeply one way or the other but most people don't give a toss or quite likely even know that there is something there.

Si

« Reply #489 on: 08 July, 2016, 08:33:54 pm »
One hopes that all members will have noticed that there was a rebrand and vote going on given the stuff in the mag and the redesign of the mag cover!

But for many I think the questions of concern would have been: is my third party insurance still valid? Are my subs staying more or less the same? Can I still ride with my mates in the MG?   If 'yes' then I'm not really bothered what you call it. 

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #490 on: 08 July, 2016, 08:37:57 pm »
Yup, it's all gone a bit brexit...

...you mean that, despite it supposedly being settled, we still haven't heard the end of it?  ;D

« Reply #491 on: 08 July, 2016, 09:26:59 pm »
I've read the entire thread. What are folks' opinions about LCC in comparison to CTC of which I am a member? To my mind they are not much different. (I only joined them in 2009 due to third-party insurance and the fact they have 'London' in their name.)

« Reply #492 on: 09 July, 2016, 07:48:38 am »
   Official notice: Poll of the Whole Club result
The Poll of members called by ex-Councillor Philip Benstead, and published in the June/July issue of ‘Cycle’ magazine, to endorse or overturn the decision of the Council to adopt the trading name of Cycling UK closed today. The result was 6,533 to endorse the decision with 3,694 to overturn. Chair of Council David Cox said: “Thank you to all who took the time to vote. The Cyclists’ Touring Club continues to be the legal name of the charity but with Cycling UK as our new trading name to reach the broadest audience possible. We are extremely proud of the heritage and achievements of the Cyclists’ Touring Club over the last 138 years. Many of our local Member Groups will continue to run their activities under the name Cyclists’ Touring Club as that best describes what they do. For many of our other initiatives in campaigns, off-road and community cycling projects, the name Cycling UK is less prescriptive when promoting the breadth of activities that they do. But together as cyclists we are driven by the passion and enthusiasm of all our members and supporters who make Cycling UK welcoming to all.”   

Total for poll = 10,227 that represents 15.26% of the membership
Total for CTC = 3,694 that represents 5.51% of the membership
Total for CTC = 36.12%
Total for CUK = 6,533 that represents 9.75% of the membership
Total for CUK = 63.87%

A resounding (non) vote for indifference.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #493 on: 09 July, 2016, 09:12:33 am »
I guess one could say it's a 'reasonable sample of the membership with a clear margin for confirming the rebrand'...  In the scheme of global importance the whole issue doesn't rank that high.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #494 on: 16 August, 2016, 01:50:04 pm »
Any idea if the re-brand has had a positive effect on membership? BC posted on facebook today to say membership is up from 100K to 125K.

« Reply #495 on: 16 August, 2016, 02:54:29 pm »
I won't be renewing at the end of this month and can confirm that LCC's membership has definitely increased by 1.

rob

« Reply #496 on: 16 August, 2016, 02:55:48 pm »
After 20 yrs of membership I decided it was no longer for me so cancelled my DD.   I thought this would trigger some for of communication, but I've had nothing.

Maybe they assumed there would be some attrition so decided not to bother chasing people.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #497 on: 16 August, 2016, 03:00:37 pm »
After 20 yrs of membership I decided it was no longer for me so cancelled my DD.   I thought this would trigger some for of communication, but I've had nothing.

Maybe they assumed there would be some attrition so decided not to bother chasing people.

ditto - cancelled my DD and membership lapsed in July, not heard anything from them yet.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #498 on: 16 August, 2016, 03:07:02 pm »
I won't be renewing at the end of this month and can confirm that LCC's membership has definitely increased by 1.

The latest moves to alter LCC membership do NOT inspire me with confidence...

Philip Benstead

« Reply #499 on: 16 August, 2016, 07:02:29 pm »
LCC has lost funding from charities and local authorities.

I have heard that the LCC is short of money as result the following is going to take place:

Adult membership is going up to £49

Supporter rate £3 per month no insurance or vote

Paton rate £1000.00

All local groups asked to give 50% of their money to the central body

Reduction in staff work