Author Topic: Proposed Traffic Regulation Order banning cyclists from the A63  (Read 19006 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Re: Proposed Traffic Regulation Order banning cyclists from the A63
« Reply #100 on: 10 May, 2018, 01:07:29 pm »
No enforcement of the ban yet. Also no time trials so far this season.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #101 on: 10 May, 2018, 02:31:17 pm »
Also no time trials so far this season.

As Greenbank posted upthread, the Yorkshire CTT district have decided to voluntarily withdraw from the course until matters are resolved.  They seem to think that they can have a gentlemanly chat among equals with Highways England, and that not riding on the A63 in the meantime will persuade HE to let cyclists ride on it henceforth. 

I think this is completely illogical and Yorkshire DC are being pretty stupid about the whole thing, but there you go.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #102 on: 15 May, 2018, 11:26:52 am »
Karla is currently riding down that section now, on a visit to see me.

« Reply #103 on: 15 May, 2018, 11:46:39 am »
I'll be interested to see how this pans out. That course is a survivor of a TT culture which has long been identified with Yorkshire.

Top Boro’
That’s what they called the Boroughbridge-based time trial courses on the A1, where loads of competition records were set. It wasn’t just the traffic flow, although that helped, it was the smooth road surface. Also, the straight out-and-back rolling strip of fast dual-carriageway meant riders could see competitors strung out in front of them, home in on them, target them, then try to catch them one by one.

Some time-triallists thought the undulations helped too, they kept them trying. And some would stray out into the middle of the inside lane going downhill, storing up a 40 miles-per-hour back-log of cars behind them. Going up the next rise the riders moved to the left of the inside lane, letting the cars pass to create a tunnel of positive turbulence that helped push them along.

John Watson of the Clifton Cycling Club from York was one of the first to discover the Boro’s speed potential when he smashed the 50 mile record in 1970, taking nearly four minutes off it for a new record 1 hour 40 minutes 42 seconds. The last Boro’ record was Kevin Dawson’s 50 of 1 hour 37 minutes 21 seconds set in 1997. Eleven-time BBAR Dawson is also from Yorkshire, in case you don’t know. Just saying like. 

http://www.cyclinglegends.co.uk/index.php/features/big-reads/33-what-has-yorkshire-ever-done-for-cycling

« Reply #104 on: 20 May, 2018, 07:37:11 pm »
Was in the locality this weekend and talking to a local councillor. I asked her why the council was backing the plan and she said it was purely on the police recommendation. She and the rest of the council are under the impression that there have been lots of cyclists deaths and injuries on the road. Don't suppose they have a lot of time to sift through the data which shows otherwise.
Anyway, she said that if a local cyclist, preferably one that uses the road, were to ask a question in the open council it would help to bring out the facts and maybe influence the council to change their stance.
Apologies if this has already been suggested up thread.
If someone is willing to do this the question would have to be submitted in writing to the council by 25/05/2018 and whoever asked the question would have to attend the full council the following week on the 30th or 31st (sorry, can't remember which but I'll check if someone volunteers to take this on).
Obviously the question needs to be carefully framed for maximum impact and I guess it would help if the questioner was comfortable with public speaking. Do we know anyone on here that fits the bill who may be interested?
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #105 on: 22 May, 2018, 10:51:20 am »
Was in the locality this weekend and talking to a local councillor. I asked her why the council was backing the plan and she said it was purely on the police recommendation. She and the rest of the council are under the impression that there have been lots of cyclists deaths and injuries on the road. Don't suppose they have a lot of time to sift through the data which shows otherwise.
Anyway, she said that if a local cyclist, preferably one that uses the road, were to ask a question in the open council it would help to bring out the facts and maybe influence the council to change their stance.
Apologies if this has already been suggested up thread.
If someone is willing to do this the question would have to be submitted in writing to the council by 25/05/2018 and whoever asked the question would have to attend the full council the following week on the 30th or 31st (sorry, can't remember which but I'll check if someone volunteers to take this on).
Obviously the question needs to be carefully framed for maximum impact and I guess it would help if the questioner was comfortable with public speaking. Do we know anyone on here that fits the bill who may be interested?

I'd be happy to take up this challenge. Do you have contact details for the letter and to find out about the meeting?

« Reply #106 on: 22 May, 2018, 11:07:39 am »
I'd be happy to take up this challenge. Do you have contact details for the letter and to find out about the meeting?

I've checked the details and we've missed the deadline for the May meeting. I've included details for the June meeting in case @Graeme can't make it and someone else wants to take this on.

A request in writing to ask a question in full council has to be made to:
Caroline Lacey
Chief Executive
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
County Hall
Cross Street
Beverley
HU17 9BA

The request also has to include the written question. The deadline for the request is 12/06/2018 and the meeting is on 20/06/2018

[Edit] Forgot to add that the question should include an explicit request for the council to withdraw their support for this proposal.

pm also sent Graeme
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Chris S

« Reply #107 on: 30 June, 2018, 07:40:15 pm »
So, today was TT day on the A19. I negotiated it twice.

Southbound wasn't so bad - the traffic was light enough I could just stay in Lane 2.

Northbound was horrendous. It was really busy - trucks, tractors, and all sorts - all stuck in Lane 2, bumper to bumper doing 30. I just don't think it's fair. By and large, the traffic handled it OK - only one knobber who drove up the inside of the line with minimal clearance between him and the cyclists (some of whom were wide obstructions, on trikes) because he was a Big Twat Small Knob idiot in a Jag, with a number plate to match.

I like cycling, but 40 odd cyclists don't mix well with the traffic on what is a very busy trunk road. I can see why some folks might want this kind of thing banned.

« Reply #108 on: 30 June, 2018, 07:54:12 pm »
So, today was TT day on the A19. I negotiated it twice.

Southbound wasn't so bad - the traffic was light enough I could just stay in Lane 2.

Northbound was horrendous. It was really busy - trucks, tractors, and all sorts - all stuck in Lane 2, bumper to bumper doing 30. I just don't think it's fair. By and large, the traffic handled it OK - only one knobber who drove up the inside of the line with minimal clearance between him and the cyclists (some of whom were wide obstructions, on trikes) because he was a Big Twat Small Knob idiot in a Jag, with a number plate to match.

I like cycling, but 40 odd cyclists don't mix well with the traffic on what is a very busy trunk road. I can see why some folks might want this kind of thing banned.

I dunno what Yorkshire does, but down here we do traffic counts for different times and days and restrict events to when they're at an acceptable level. 

I'm given to understand that there's pressure to allow large fields there because it's a very fast course.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #109 on: 13 September, 2018, 12:12:27 pm »
Good news. TRO plans dropped. Great effort by Cycling UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-45508512

Sing yaaaay!

« Reply #110 on: 13 September, 2018, 01:17:10 pm »
Good. Keeps the wolf from the door. For now.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #111 on: 13 September, 2018, 02:04:31 pm »
Go number 72! :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #113 on: 13 September, 2018, 05:52:45 pm »
Woohoo!

According to one of the local TT organisers the new HE strategy is to drown them in the red tape of H&S regulations.  Hopefully they'll get something worked out though.