Author Topic: Proper email address  (Read 2093 times)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
Proper email address
« on: 21 March, 2010, 12:32:27 pm »
I help run a website and sorted out an info@....com mail address a few years ago that's forwarded onto a few people who in turn can reply back.

What do i have to do to allow a reply back using the info@....com as an address rather than as my personel address that it has been forwarded to?

Would I have to use the hosts webmail access? Or can i reply back using Outlook or whateve client i choose?
A shitter and a giggler.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
Re: Proper email address
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2010, 12:37:12 pm »
You should be able to reply back using your e-mail client.

Thunderbird lets you set up an e-mail address but not have it automatically check for mail when you log in.  This is great for using as a reply address only.

In outlook, it's possible to show the from field and type the from address in there.

« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2010, 08:52:54 pm »
I've got the same, several emails that are only forwarders onto others.

In the mail clients I set up several different email accounts, one for each of those addresses; however the "forwarder" accounts are not set to send/receive.

When I want to send a mail from a different mail address I can just change the sender in a drop down box.  I use outlook/outlook express/evolution on the various computers and it's the same in all of those.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:09:06 pm »
You should be able to reply back using your e-mail client.

Thunderbird lets you set up an e-mail address but not have it automatically check for mail when you log in.  This is great for using as a reply address only.
With Thunderbird, you don't have to create multiple accounts, you can just add more identities. You can have multiple identities per account - an identity is just a from name and email address, all of the rest of the account settings are the same.
See Multiple identities per e-mail account - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Though this may also depend on the SMTP server  - some might refuse to accept mail with a different from address.

« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:48:56 pm »
I think that's why I set up the separate accounts.

inc

« Reply #5 on: 21 March, 2010, 10:13:01 pm »
I don't think OE allows multiple identities which is what you want, I was helping a friend do this but after wasting hours installed Thunderbird and set it up in seconds. Most Linux email clients allow multiple identity's, I have six identities with just one ISP account.

« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2010, 08:01:36 am »
OE does work.  I've used it and set up my parents too.  In my case, as above, I only have my main email account set up to receive all the time - because all the others are only aliaises for addresses which are forwarders.  This is the same as the OP where the emails are being sent to info@... and forwarded to a different email address.

tools -> accounts then add  as many as you want.  Set the email addresses as info@.... but the logon details remain as your own.

When you send an email you can choose the "From address" simply by selecting the right one in the dropdown box.

« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2010, 03:52:51 pm »
Can you please give typical examples?

The from address in Thunderbird could differ in what way from say a gmail address?

Or put another way do I use another email address or just another  identity in Thunderbird but gmail as my actual email address?

Confused.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

inc

« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2010, 06:24:03 pm »
OE does work. 

Yes you can set up separate accounts with username, password pop3 and IMAP details but you can't set separate identities for your basic ISP account which is much simpler.

inc

« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2010, 06:26:07 pm »

The link fuaran posted explains it well.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #10 on: 22 March, 2010, 06:35:35 pm »

The link fuaran posted explains it well.

The link fuaran posted was great - didn't know you could do this  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:55:06 am »
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 24 March, 2010, 11:07:27 am »
Though this may also depend on the SMTP server  - some might refuse to accept mail with a different from address.

Yes, or it will be treated as spam. But you can get around this by setting up an SPF record on your domain.

Sender Policy Framework - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The SPF Setup Wizard

I've done this to send mail "from" an email address at my personal domain using gmail. The same principle applies to sending mail from other clients.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13 on: 24 March, 2010, 11:10:56 am »
When you send an email you can choose the "From address" simply by selecting the right one in the dropdown box.

But note that the header info (not usually displayed) will still show the address the mail was actually sent from. This is why you need to set up an SPF record, otherwise, the recipient's spam filters might regard the discrepancy as suspicious.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."