Author Topic: ..the shortest distance between two people, as if they were points  (Read 2604 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Saw this, following a retweet from Emily Chappel

https://www.seedrs.com/cycleland

On the face of it, a nice idea

But it is a sign of the times that all human relations are now heading for mediation via a IT system that will register you, charge you and take a cut.  It "protects" you from other people but at the cost of no relationships being developed.  Borrowing a bike has become an objective experience mediated by capital

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: ..the shortest distance between two people, as if they were points
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2016, 01:44:36 pm »
But it is a sign of the times that all human relations are now heading for mediation via a IT system that will register you, charge you and take a cut.

Only if you think those social interactions are a zero-sum game.

This won't - can't - stop me borrowing a bike from a friend any more than Uber can stop me hailing a black cab, Facebook/Twitter can stop me catching up with mates over a pint, or yacf can stop me asking clubmates for tyre recommendations.  On the other side, technical innovations can be the context in which those social relationships are formed. For me personally, my life would be a lot poorer if it wasn't for the friends I wouldn't have met without the internet.

(click to show/hide)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 01 November, 2016, 01:46:40 pm »
I dunno.  In my universe borrowing bikes has pretty much always been a case of being somewhere where person B is and your bike isn't and using theirs for some one-off purpose.  The relationship between you and person B is pre-existing.

"Can someone lend me a bike?" requests to strangers require a medium that reaches a reasonable number of bike owners and a context where they have at least some idea of how to track you down if things go wrong.  I suppose in ye olde days this might have happened via, say, a noticeboard in a student hall.  But by the time I was a student, that sort of thing was mostly usenet-based, so doesn't count.  Similarly, the YACF community of cyclists is also IT-based so doesn't count.  Real-life cycling clubs probably do a bit of this, I suppose, but they're of limited interest to people without bikes.

A tool for matching bike renters with owners of suitable bikes seems like a good enough idea.  Registration, charging and taking a cut seems fair - you can't build and maintain something like that without cost.  It's useful in the same way that eBay is useful, and just as eBay doesn't stop you selling your spare widget to someone you know for cash, it won't stop people lending each other bikes independently.

Putting strangers with mutual interests in contact with each other is surely the greatest thing about the Internet.  Creating opportunities for people with a Mk 1 good idea to build a business around it is another.  What's not to like?

ETA: Crosspost with Dibdib

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 01 November, 2016, 01:48:33 pm »
But it is a sign of the times that all human relations are now heading for mediation via a IT system that will register you, charge you and take a cut.  It "protects" you from other people but at the cost of no relationships being developed.  Borrowing a bike has become an objective experience mediated by capital
Too right.

I find it so much easier to just nick the first bike I see. No IT, no registration, no cost  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2016, 02:04:55 pm »
Yebbut changing pedals on the fly is a bore.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 01 November, 2016, 02:31:22 pm »
Is this app actually for bike sharing, as in borrowing a friend's or clubmate's or even forum pal's bike while yours is unavailable for some reason, or is it for hiring bikes?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2016, 02:40:05 pm »
They describe it as "like Airbnb for bikes", so the latter.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #7 on: 01 November, 2016, 02:40:26 pm »
My guess is that (like Uber and AirB&B) it's ostensibly for individuals to share their bike for a small fee but in reality will end up being almost exclusively bed & breakfast owners erm full-time minicabbers erm independent local hire bike fleets.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2016, 02:43:52 pm »
My guess is that (like Uber and AirB&B) it's ostensibly for individuals to share their bike for a small fee but in reality will end up being almost exclusively bed & breakfast owners erm full-time minicabbers erm independent local hire bike fleets.

I suppose that's the natural pattern of such things.  Like far-eastern tat dealers on eBay.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2016, 02:44:53 pm »
In which case it's "bike sharing" rather than "sharing bikes," as in "$Sponsor London Bike Sharing", so really not impinging in any way, as far as I can see, on borrowing your mate's bike.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.