Author Topic: Constant Bearing Failure  (Read 2104 times)

Constant Bearing Failure
« on: 10 November, 2016, 02:15:11 am »
So earlier this year i purchased a set of Stans Flow EX 29er Wheels for my Kona Process 111 Build. I run a 1x10 gearing that is 30t front and 11-40 rear. All year the wheels were great, then the bearings went, so i went on http://www.szr-bearing.com/ site and ordered new bearings. I bought the Chrome 6802 bearings that fit my hub as well as the corresponding free hub bearings. I put about a dozen rides on the bike after and then the aluminum axle in the hub broke, when i took it apart the bearings were blown apart again too, not sure what went first the axle or the bearing? So i once again went to stans site, ordered all new bearings and the axle and rebuilt the hub once again. Yesterday i was on a ride that required a lot of grunt climbing, this is my 5th ride since the full rebuild of the rear hub, and once again the bearing went, it is the drive side hub bearing that seems to go first. Are there better bearings to buy? Something that can take a better load? anyone have similar issues with these Stans 3.30 hubs?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Constant Bearing Failure
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2016, 05:56:37 am »
Are these cartridge bearings? Is so sounds like they weren't fitted correctly - the only time I've had a rapid failure was the first time I fitted some and hadn't pressed them home fully

« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2016, 11:14:42 am »
Also, it's supremely important that you only press on the ring that's a press fit. Ie when pressing into a housing, only push the outer, and visa versa. Forces transmitted across the balls during fitting can Brinell the raceways and lead to rapid failure.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #3 on: 26 November, 2016, 08:08:06 pm »
May I respectfully ask what the load is on the hub and bearings? That refers to the weight in the saddle..

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #4 on: 27 November, 2016, 01:56:39 pm »
From what I can piece together for the Stan's 3.30 hub, you have two 6802/61802 ball bearings in the hub, plus two 6902/61902 bearings inside the rotor body.  The latter are no doubt up to the job, but taken together with those little hub bearings it seems very underspecified for a hub that goes mountain biking, where you have all sorts of horrible forces going through the hub and into the axle.  Are you hard on your equipment generally?

I think the main problem is that the 61802 is only rated to 1.9kN dynamically, and 1.1kN statically (and that's a good SKF spec).

Compare it with the Hope Bulb of yesteryear, a hub that while a touch heavy was just about bombproof.  The Bulb had two 61902 ball bearings in the rotor body (for reference, a 61902 has a load rating over twice that of a 61802).  In the hub shell drive side, the Bulb used a 6002 supporting the ratchet assembly (rated three times that of a 61802) and 6001 at the non-drive side (rated two and a half times that of a 61802).  The Hope XC of the time simply used four 6001 ball bearings throughout.

Normally I would say replace all of the bearings with SKF, and hang the cost, but on balance I think might look for a stronger hub.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 27 November, 2016, 02:26:14 pm »
Wot she sed . . . !  :thumbsup:

I wouldn't argue, either!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 27 November, 2016, 05:50:40 pm »
i agree with the panel that fitting cartridge bearings can go wrong.    Some designs of 6802 in the hub arrangements seems very optimistic about water ingress not happening as well.  Does the freehub body have a grease port?  Another type of hub I had once seemed to work better if it was filled up with grease after changing the bearings.  I mean it was forced in so there were no voids inside at all