Author Topic: Manchester Inverness Manchester/Don Black Memorial  (Read 1652 times)

Manchester Inverness Manchester/Don Black Memorial
« on: 18 July, 2015, 08:45:26 pm »
Just been plotting a 1300 I plan in 2018, the year after LEL.

The provisional route is Manchester to Inverness and back. I thought I'd offer two routes though. The less hilly one would be Manchester Inverness Manchester. The much hillier one would be dedicated to Don Black, a much missed rider from round these parts.

This will be a full-service event, but with controls around 100km apart. It'll be more like my Windsor Chester Windsor event this year than LEL in terms of size, so hopefully not too onerous to organise.

The difficult part will be plotting the route. There are so many amazing roads you could take...

Re: Manchester Inverness Manchester/Don Black Memorial
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2015, 09:17:28 pm »
What time of year will it be, will it be possible to do mille Cymru and this?
nam dan on fb

« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2015, 10:57:17 pm »
What time of year will it be, will it be possible to do mille Cymru and this?

Oh yeah, totally. Dates TBC

Bairn Again

« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2015, 04:44:31 pm »
sounds intriguing. 

Ive always believed that something like this (my notion was York - Aberdeen - York) would in many ways be more attractive than LEL (though I get the fact that for overseas riders the London start has practical advantages as well as a certain cachet).

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2015, 05:56:00 pm »
When we last did LEL we initially made the mistake that flat=boring, hilly=interesting. What I realise now is that over four days, a constant diet of hills can be equally tedious. As someone who lives in the Pennines, I find Norfolk incredibly beautiful. Ditto quite a bit of Lincolnshire. Where it's not beautiful, it's mostly down to ugly housing and housing estates. So I've come to really appreciate the LEL route and the variety of terrain that it offers. That's not to say I won't be changing some of the route, because I think it can be better.

I must say I like the idea of YAY, though routing into York can be as tricky as Manchester. I'm getting wedded to the idea of a memorial ride for Don though, and that would definitely mean a Manchester start.

Bairn Again

« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2015, 07:56:23 pm »
When we last did LEL we initially made the mistake that flat=boring, hilly=interesting. What I realise now is that over four days, a constant diet of hills can be equally tedious. As someone who lives in the Pennines, I find Norfolk incredibly beautiful. Ditto quite a bit of Lincolnshire.

Yep me too.  I loved the Green & Yellow Fields 300 earlier this year and large stretches of the Flatlands 600 too.  Though nobody but nobody surely can love Swinefleet and Goole  :P

« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2015, 09:26:27 pm »
Goole's only saving grace is that if you're in Goole, it means you can't be in Scunthorpe.