Author Topic: Sick cat.  (Read 3110 times)

Sick cat.
« on: 02 September, 2009, 09:13:06 am »

Cat started acting wierd last night; stalking invisible things. He seemed scared, and was padding at the air with his paw.

His pupils were huge - almost maximum size. I picked him up (which he didn't like, normally he likes a cuddle) and turned his head towards a light. His pupils didn't react.

I tried to put him down on the cushion where he normally lies, but he went beserk and scrambled away.

Got him back and tested his eyesight. He was definitely seeing something, but I think maybe only movement.

Switched the lights off and he seemed a bit calmer, but still wouldn't come back to the area where he normally sits.

Writing this, I'm starting to wonder if he was concussed.

No sign of him this morning.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Sick cat.
« Reply #1 on: 02 September, 2009, 09:38:35 am »
Oh dear, poor kitty. I take it he's gone outside?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2 on: 02 September, 2009, 09:44:09 am »
He went out last night - but hung around the catflap.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 02 September, 2009, 10:32:34 am »
A vet trip, if possible, as soon as possible. Could be an injury or a brain problem, or possibly v high blood pressure. If that isn't treated, there's a possibility of permanent blindness.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 02 September, 2009, 02:30:18 pm »
No sign of cat yet.

However, #1 stepson says otters have returned and are swimming around boat.

Possible cat has been chased by otters, and they've been onboard. I did find a huge turd inside boat on monday, seemed too large for cat (and he doesn't crap in boat anyway).

Cat's behaviour might just have been extreme terror - particularly if otters have been in and around his territory.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 02 September, 2009, 02:44:28 pm »
No sign of cat yet.

However, #1 stepson says otters have returned and are swimming around boat.

Possible cat has been chased by otters, and they've been onboard. I did find a huge turd inside boat on monday, seemed too large for cat (and he doesn't crap in boat anyway).

Cat's behaviour might just have been extreme terror - particularly if otters have been in and around his territory.

Hm. I don't wish to alarm you, but I *think* toxoplasmosis can cross the species boundary between cats and otters, and the behaviour you describe *could* be symptoms (I've been reading up on Cat Poop lately  :-[ ) if your cat isn't innoculated. As you say, it's most likely concussion/fear of otters, but I'd take kitteh to the vet just to put my mind at rest if I were you.

<disclaimer>

I am a paranoid pet owner who suffers hypochondria by proxy.  :-[

I hope kitteh will soon be feeling better. :)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #6 on: 02 September, 2009, 03:09:15 pm »
I won't know until I get home, and then the vet will be shut. Will just have to wait and see.

If he's been scared off, he will go awol, possibly for days. So I might not see him and he could be either dead or in hiding. Bu&&er.

It's turning out to be a really sh!t summer.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 02 September, 2009, 03:14:43 pm »
I won't know until I get home, and then the vet will be shut. Will just have to wait and see.

If he's been scared off, he will go awol, possibly for days. So I might not see him and he could be either dead or in hiding. Bu&&er.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I'm sure he'll show up later and be fine - I just fret a lot sometimes. :-*

It's turning out to be a really sh!t summer.

:-* :-* :-*

Better?
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 02 September, 2009, 04:46:14 pm »
Your vet doesn't open in the evenings? That's a bit rubbish.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9 on: 02 September, 2009, 05:23:12 pm »
I had to take Bea to the vets today and I asked about your cat's symptoms.

Probably not good news. Most likely to be high blood pressure related, and can indicate detached retinas. It quite often happens in both eyes at the same time. If this is the case then he may not regain his sight. The high blood pressure can be treated. Blind cats can do very well. Mum's cat went blind and as long as she didn't move furniture willy nilly, the cat navigated around the house very well, also found nice hot spots in the garden.

Let's hope it isn't this though.

« Reply #10 on: 02 September, 2009, 07:32:00 pm »
I've had a blind cat before, when I lived on a different mooring. The cat coped very well with life on and off a boat, moving about and jumping on/off the boat.

No cat evident tonight, searched for him but no sign. Doesn't mean he's gone, he's disappeared for 3-4 days at a time before.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #11 on: 03 September, 2009, 12:26:31 am »
Hoping for the best here.

« Reply #12 on: 03 September, 2009, 09:20:01 am »
well, he turned up about 10pm last night. Still acting odd - creeping around the boat, jumping at shadows, stalking thing that aren't there.

Settled on a cushion as far as possible from his normal sleeping spot. Pupil still large.

This morning, he was outside, acting completely normal, and pupils back to normal.

I think that otters have been in and totally freaked him out.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #13 on: 03 September, 2009, 09:39:08 am »
well, he turned up about 10pm last night. Still acting odd - creeping around the boat, jumping at shadows, stalking thing that aren't there.

Settled on a cushion as far as possible from his normal sleeping spot. Pupil still large.

This morning, he was outside, acting completely normal, and pupils back to normal.

I think that otters have been in and totally freaked him out.

I have had a cat with similar problems ,she went blind for a couple of days and then her sight came back ,the vet said it could have been linked to some kind of kidney failure and despite her recovery she gradually went down hill and died about 6 months later ,although she was 18 years old and suffered with fits during her final months ,I think a visit to the vets would be a good idea.

Jezza

« Reply #14 on: 03 September, 2009, 09:51:12 am »
Cats see ghosts - this is well known. So there was probably just a passing spectre which disturbed the usual feline equanimity.

That or a crack raiding team of stealth otters.

« Reply #15 on: 03 September, 2009, 10:30:49 am »
If they were Stealth Otters, they failed their training.

They left 2 large turds on the floor.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #16 on: 03 September, 2009, 05:32:25 pm »

Nope, they excelled. See below transcript.

Commander Otter: "Well lads, debrief me."

Sgt Otterson: "Insertion - perfect approach, and successful boarding."

Cpl Otterable: "We suspected their guard cat had spotted us, but there were no obvious signs of detection."

Sgt Otterson: "We each laid our mines, and bugged out in good time."

Commander Otter: "Excellent. Excellent. But what about shitting on their mat?"

Sgt Otterson: "Er... That's what I meant by 'mines', Sir"

Commander Otterson: "Aha, erm, of course Sergeant. Very good job. Well done chaps... Good ones, were they?"

Sgt Otterson: "Yessir, proper steamers."
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Jezza

« Reply #17 on: 04 September, 2009, 08:57:59 am »

Nope, they excelled. See below transcript.

Commander Otter: "Well lads, debrief me."

Sgt Otterson: "Insertion - perfect approach, and successful boarding."

Cpl Otterable: "We suspected their guard cat had spotted us, but there were no obvious signs of detection."

Sgt Otterson: "We each laid our mines, and bugged out in good time."

Commander Otter: "Excellent. Excellent. But what about shitting on their mat?"

Sgt Otterson: "Er... That's what I meant by 'mines', Sir"

Commander Otterson: "Aha, erm, of course Sergeant. Very good job. Well done chaps... Good ones, were they?"

Sgt Otterson: "Yessir, proper steamers."

;D ;D ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #18 on: 04 September, 2009, 11:07:44 pm »
mrcharly,

glad to hear it was good news for the cat!

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #19 on: 15 September, 2009, 08:55:35 pm »
Our last Persian lost his sight very quickly one night (that fast) due to bilateral retinal bleeds.  Vet diagnosed hypertension.  We got his blood pressure down and miraculously the blood cleared and he regained at least partial sight.  Sadly he died of heart failure almost a year ago, but he got a good year in between and seemed to be happy pottering round house and garden until the end  :'(