Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 332140 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #750 on: 30 August, 2012, 03:48:55 pm »
Oh dear, Wow, Yodel really the worst of a bad bunch.

Unsurprisingly the only packages they manage to delver on time are those from those from the Shop Direct Group (Littlewoods, Very etc etc).

Guess who has a large interest in Yodel.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #751 on: 30 August, 2012, 03:51:33 pm »
Our local Yodel driver is really good. He knows we're not in during the day so comes around after 6pm.
And Yodel sponsor cycling (the Tour of Britain and Tour Series) and they're giving me and Mrs JT VIP tickets at two stages of the ToB so I won't hear a bad word against them. Not until after the ToB anyway.
a great mind thinks alike

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #752 on: 30 August, 2012, 07:13:48 pm »
My parcels, both of them, were delivered by the same Yodel chap at about 5.20. The second parcel was a footprint for the tent, not from Field & Trek.

Tomorrow is going to be amusing!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #753 on: 30 August, 2012, 07:35:01 pm »
New tent happy! :D
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #754 on: 30 August, 2012, 08:11:16 pm »
I shall be setting off from here at about 10.15. I think I shall go by the most direct route: I did the "scenic" route on Tuesday and had a lot of grief from bastard motorists.

I suppose I ought to get some stuff together!

« Reply #755 on: 30 August, 2012, 09:32:31 pm »
Very pleased that your tent arrived - have fun this weekend, I would have looked into joining given a bit more notice.

« Reply #756 on: 31 August, 2012, 11:24:33 pm »
Got one of these delivered today, haven't tried it yet as away this w/e but it's beautifully designed and made.  I got it along with a Deuter 1-season down bag on offer from Amazon as I want to go unicycle touring offroad and normal gear is going to be waaaay too heavy.  It's very airy though, the fly doesn't extend right down to the ground and a mesh inner but is fully enclosed against bugs, so not for 3-season backpacking I don't think.

iainj837

• Oh! what's occurrin' ?
« Reply #757 on: 31 August, 2012, 11:46:58 pm »
Nothing exciting but it's a start.I bought a set rear panniers for £16.99

« Reply #758 on: 01 September, 2012, 07:31:01 am »
We had a visit to Hilleberg in Redmond today. I'd like to say it was an interesting and exciting occasion, but it left quite a sour taste. We'd complained about three of our five zips breaking down irrepairably, and had several responses from Hilleberg which were more defensive and critical than understanding and helpful. Apparently we cycle tourers should make time every day (yes, every day) to clean all our zippers. And if we don't? Well, we deserve what comes to us, clearly*! And, we definitely chose the wrong tent, they insisted, despite the Kaitum 3GT being specifically marketed for cycle tourers. Apparently, we should be using the heavier Keron.

We left their office with a completely new inner tent for a reduced price, but also with a general feeling of having had our wrists slapped, and that we were causing them more hassle than we were worth. We really should have been a good girl and boy and cleaned our zips every day, I suppose.  ::-)

* The first zip on the tent died after less than 2 months' use. I think that's pretty poor.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #759 on: 01 September, 2012, 08:38:13 am »
That's a very poor response from a manufacturer of a high cost product >:(
I too would have a sour taste from an apparently condecending attitude.

I reckon someone throwing that much £ at a tent is going to be experienced enough to know what they want from a tent without being lectured.

Not good PR at all

« Reply #760 on: 01 September, 2012, 10:08:17 am »
It's a very short sighted response, given the nature of your trip, it is an ideal opportunity for a company to showcase the quality of their product.
You were obviously labouring under the mistaken idea that that toothbrush you are carrying is for your own teeth ;D

« Reply #761 on: 01 September, 2012, 11:28:52 am »
We had a visit to Hilleberg in Redmond today. I'd like to say it was an interesting and exciting occasion, but it left quite a sour taste. We'd complained about three of our five zips breaking down irrepairably, and had several responses from Hilleberg which were more defensive and critical than understanding and helpful. Apparently we cycle tourers should make time every day (yes, every day) to clean all our zippers. And if we don't? Well, we deserve what comes to us, clearly*! And, we definitely chose the wrong tent, they insisted, despite the Kaitum 3GT being specifically marketed for cycle tourers. Apparently, we should be using the heavier Keron.

We left their office with a completely new inner tent for a reduced price, but also with a general feeling of having had our wrists slapped, and that we were causing them more hassle than we were worth. We really should have been a good girl and boy and cleaned our zips every day, I suppose.  ::-)

* The first zip on the tent died after less than 2 months' use. I think that's pretty poor.

Who at Hilleberg USA have you been dealing with?  The whole company looks pretty small, both the parent company in Sweden and the US operation.

This: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/petra-hilleberg/4/691/b48 appears to be the person running the US operation. Might be worth e-mailing or writing her directly.

Your story has me a little worried, I just bought a Soulo for more than I've ever spent for a tent, based partly on what I read on this forum!

« Reply #762 on: 01 September, 2012, 11:33:04 am »
It's also a very short-sighted response given how quickly one's disappointment can be broadcast worldwide via social media.   I am a Hilleberg fan but your very poor experience leaves me thinking that my next tent will not be Hilleberg.

In a world of competitive products customer service holds a key edge.   Exped know and practise this with their downmats.   Hilleberg might wish to learn a lesson here.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #763 on: 01 September, 2012, 01:46:38 pm »
Very poor service.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #764 on: 01 September, 2012, 02:05:38 pm »
It's also a very short-sighted response given how quickly one's disappointment can be broadcast worldwide via social media.   I am a Hilleberg fan but your very poor experience leaves me thinking that my next tent will not be Hilleberg.

In a world of competitive products customer service holds a key edge.   Exped know and practise this with their downmats.   Hilleberg might wish to learn a lesson here.

absolutely spot on in every respect.

I too now have reservations about the next tent being a Hilleberg

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #765 on: 02 September, 2012, 06:33:53 pm »
I tried to "reserve and collect" a 3-man tent from Go Outdoors but their stock system is dysfunctional and they e-mailed to say they do not actually have any in Swindon, although they are still showing them as available there. 

They will apparently phone me to discuss, at which I will probably use the phrase "bait and switch" and they will go away.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #766 on: 02 September, 2012, 07:55:22 pm »
Apparently we cycle tourers should make time every day (yes, every day) to clean all our zippers.

Hilleberg are obviously missing a trick by not selling a Hilleberg branded zip brush.  The Vuovdi - Sami for forest -  retailing at £24.99.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #767 on: 02 September, 2012, 08:30:00 pm »
How do zips get dirty?  Do passing cyclists throw mud at them?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #768 on: 03 September, 2012, 06:54:45 am »
I've just caught up with the responses to our Hilleberg visit. We were dealing with someone called Shannon in Redmond, who was rather patronising via email, e.g. 'I know it is hard for you to understand the need to clean your zippers but the tent has been well used and the outer zippers had fuzz and dust in them. We do recommend that you daily brush out your zippers.'

Well, do forgive us for using our tent for what it's supposedly designed for - extreme outdoor adventures!  ::-)

When we turned up to collect the tent only the mailroom guy was around, and he wasn't interested in the slightest in discussing our concerns.

We do plan to write to Petra Hilleberg when we get a moment and will definitely mention some of the stuff raised here.

« Reply #769 on: 03 September, 2012, 10:02:12 am »
That is ridiculous. How do you even brush out a zipper?! I have never done so in my life. Dirty me…

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #770 on: 03 September, 2012, 10:06:30 am »
Does this apply to other zip fasteners? Giving them a good brush in a public place could get a chap arrested.

« Reply #771 on: 03 September, 2012, 09:43:56 pm »
Given the amount of my zippers that f***up, I'd certainly like to know about any recommended preventative measure, but all I've ever heard so far is to wash things with the zips done up, that was just the other week at the local alterations shop.  Thankfully none of my tent zips have ever gone yet - touchwood!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #772 on: 03 September, 2012, 10:50:20 pm »
It seems to me that the zips on our Hilleberg are under great tension. That must shorten their lives.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #773 on: 03 September, 2012, 10:57:35 pm »
Same goes for the Akto, plusminus wind and exactly how you set up the guy rope on the door side corner.  It's pretty much a compromise between tension on the zip and droop at that end.  I try not to overdo it, not least because the seam at the end of the vent flap zip was found to leak slightly until I slackened it off.  (I've since sealed it with seam sealant, but belt and braces..)

« Reply #774 on: 03 September, 2012, 11:14:58 pm »
The Kaitum and the Keron are both listed as all season tents, with the Kaitum being described as suited for outdoor professionals, such as "guides and military special operations units". Just what have you two been doing that makes a tent like that necessary? Are Green Berets, SEALs and SAS types expected to take time out from the war to brush out their tent zippers?

Most tent zippers come under a fair bit of tension when the wind blows, the whole point of buying a high priced tent is that the zippers and other parts will withstand that sort of abuse. What was the failure mode of the zippers? Which zippers failed? I see that you had the inner tent replaced, is the outer tent/rainfly OK? How is it that you were criticized for having dirty outer zippers, but apparently it was the zippers on the inner tent that failed?

I'd love to know what Shannon's job title is, and it would be fun to know if her job title stays the same after you get in touch with Petra Hilleberg.

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but I just spent a large chunk of money (to me, anyway) on a very small Hilleberg tent, so it would be nice to know what to expect if anything goes wrong. There are probably a few others reading this who feel the same way.