Author Topic: How would you sum up your audax riding year approach?  (Read 3916 times)

How would you sum up your audax riding year approach?
« on: 15 August, 2014, 02:14:56 pm »
What would you consider your usual Audax ride pattern to be, what perhaps  you're doing this year (if it differs), and what's next.  So, you know, 'minimalist SR', RRTY 200s, only if it's officially hilly, etc., etc...

For me, having been going at Audax for about 18 months, it's probably:

Currently, 'Several 100k, and perhaps a few two 200k'.
Next the same, perhaps with a few more 200k, and maybe a 300.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: How would you sum up your audax riding year approach?
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2014, 03:01:56 pm »
"If there's a ride I can get to and stand a reasonable chance of completing, I'll enter."

So far this year that's been limited to a handful of local 100s :(

« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2014, 03:09:52 pm »
SR, RRTY, and (sadly) havn't got time for BP

Oh yes, and 2015=PBP

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2014, 03:14:55 pm »
every year since 2011 i do an sr, one long event (over 1000k) and a few shorter audaxes; sr and pbp next year

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2014, 03:16:56 pm »
I expect my Audaxing will settle into a pattern of 3 years of the occasional 200 followed by a mad 12 months of 200/300/400/600 leading up to a PBP.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2014, 03:27:33 pm »
For the past few years, 3 x 1000+km brevets in various parts of the world and at least 1 x SR each AUK season. Usually a UAF brevet, often an Arrow and RRtY most years. Rarely ride BPs. Aiming to limit next year's long brevets somewhat.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2014, 03:30:27 pm »
Becoming less schizophrenic

Currently do early SR, usually at the business end of vertically challenging events mixed with approximately one 100k ride a month with CET Junior done at a more leisurely pace.  Try to get in a 1000k+ ride most years but haven't done for the last two. 

However, the way CET Junior keeps improving may have to convert to a RRTY approach. 

Next year SR, probably with unfinished business on the Pendle, and PBP.

Given that I get limited time for events - pick ones I think I'm going to really enjoy - hence the Wessex SR series this year
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2014, 03:40:29 pm »
Not over yet.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2014, 03:52:13 pm »
It's an SR for me as a minimum, then it depends how enthusiastic I feel.

« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2014, 03:56:57 pm »
Currently, 'Several 100k, and perhaps a few two 200k'.
Next the same, perhaps with a few more 200k, and maybe a 300.

That pretty much sums me up!  Been at it just under a year now.

Family commitments generally mean that I can get out at most once a month.  This year I have done a 100, 150, 200 and with another 200 booked in for next month and a DIY 100 to do sometime after that.

If it's 100 I generally like it to have some hills for the challenge, longer than that I prefer a bit flatter.

Next year I would like to do more 200s with a smattering of 100s and possibly a 300 or hilly 200 (or two).

I like to keep challenging myself and testing the boundaries of what I'm capable.
Up the hills and round the bends

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #10 on: 15 August, 2014, 04:00:36 pm »
Whatever adamski can bribe persuade me to do.

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #11 on: 15 August, 2014, 04:15:32 pm »
Only recurring goal is an annual SR every year since 2010. Then various rides and goals year
by year depending on motivation, time available and health.

Last year it was LEL, Essex SR, 2 RRTYs, hyper. This year goals are Wessex SR (done), R10000,
Easter arrow (done), Mile Failte 1200 (done), Essex SR, hyper (done), 50 AAA point badge,
finish B5000 (maybe done depending on if one can substitute the 1,000 for a 1,200).
Next season finish 3 RRTYs I'm about half way through right now, SR (Welsh maybe), PBP,
finish AAARTY, finish B25000, start another RRTY when the current ones finish. Probably no
more stupid points chasing, but more regular shorter harder rides to try to get quicker for PBP
to have a good margin to cope with the crowds and time lost in controls.

« Reply #12 on: 15 August, 2014, 04:22:03 pm »
1. Event on weekend when Mrs Marton isn't working (someone has to look after the children).
2. Event I can get to without car (family will undoubtedly need it).
3. Event I can get back from without children staying up till unreasonable hours to welcome papa back.
(These basically mean local 200s or my very local 300.)
4. Exceptions (i.e. Mille Cymru)
I don't ride too many events.

« Reply #13 on: 15 August, 2014, 04:24:43 pm »
1. Event on weekend when Mrs Marton isn't working (someone has to look after the children).
2. Event I can get to without car (family will undoubtedly need it).
3. Event I can get back from without children staying up till unreasonable hours to welcome papa back.
(These basically mean local 200s or my very local 300.)

Sounds familiar!  Although replace 3 with:

3. Event I can get back from before kids bedtime and therefore avoid fraught wife.
Up the hills and round the bends

Bugloss

« Reply #14 on: 15 August, 2014, 04:46:42 pm »
Foreign stuff mostly BRM for some ISR's, some 600's and a couple of other long rides. With an Irish and Danish 200 and a UK 600 to go and maybe the dinner dart if I can find someone to put up with me for a whole day.

And maybe the Schleswig clubs ride to Berlin in October if I can swing it.

Next year, who knows ?
Flèche Velocio/Nationale, not country specific yet, from somewhere to somewhere else.

A ride from St Germain is definite and maybe that other French ride. I might go up to do a 600 in Göteborg, Sweden.

Tournai in Belgium again for something or other, a 400 maybe and Ivo is running a 600 from Maastricht that I would like to do and some other loose plans to finish things off.

Short term goal: ACP 10000
Long term goal: Euro Grand Diagonale  Copenhagen - Malaga 2016 and a  triangle.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15 on: 15 August, 2014, 05:14:43 pm »
UAF Audaxes, with a diagonale in 2012, ditto but crocked last year 6 weeks before diag #2, this year BRM 200, 300, 600 + diagonale. Next year will be PBP qualifiers + PBP + diagonale if I can afford it. Oh, and a flèche in April.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16 on: 15 August, 2014, 05:31:23 pm »
Whenever I make plans to do something, they always go wrong!  Was hoping to go for 100 points this year but then broke my left hand in several places which put me off the bike for about 6-weeks and lost all of my fitness.  I am keeping schlump about next year!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 15 August, 2014, 05:36:17 pm »
Its a four two yearly cycle of pain, as they say.....[I just remembered I have a guaranteed place on LEL 2017   :)]

- Some lives are measured out in coffee spoons, for me its PBP.

SR every year, double SR in a 'Special' year. No points chasing since I once nearly got on the podium of the Fixed wheel Challenge.

Last year I managed an SR on my own events and hope to again this.

« Reply #18 on: 15 August, 2014, 05:42:01 pm »
I go for the "Randonneur once a year" approach - i.e. one 200 a year. :P I'll have a go at whatever BPs are easy to get to, as well - which isn't many. :-\

« Reply #19 on: 15 August, 2014, 05:45:11 pm »
I only started audaxing in January last year, so to an extent it's just been picking out events that look interesting and reasonably accessible from London, and giving them a go, albeit with an eye to some of the longer rides. LEL last year (though out of time), Mile Failte this year as well as DNFing the Mille Cymru.

I want to ride another 400 to get a second SR this season (didn't manage one last, as LEL was going to complete it), and am vaguely wondering about trying to go hyper: would like to break the 50 point mark. RRTY fell over in after 8 months in July as real life took up too many weekends, and though I rode a BP I didn't bother sorting out an ECE for it.

Next year - PBP will require an SR, and I'd quite like to actually manage an Easter Arrow after two failures.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #20 on: 15 August, 2014, 05:55:21 pm »
At least an SR series (two last year), and its been hilly rides for a few years, also managed first Easter Arrow. Irish MF1200 was superb. I also try to fit in a few extra rides if possible, and non-audax tours/rides as well, eg Dolomites Raid this year. Next year hoping to find local (ish) PBP qualifiers, and to ride PBP again. My cousin has opened a B&B / café actually on the route, so I cant miss it!
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #21 on: 15 August, 2014, 08:06:51 pm »
Enough to keep me interested.BPs in the winter and 200s in the summer.Real life has got in the way this year though :(Oh dear,what a pity,never mind :facepalm:

« Reply #22 on: 15 August, 2014, 08:17:04 pm »
Just to provide some balance, not planning to do much next year.
A couple of early season BP's as training for road racing and a few XC mtb events.
I tend to avoid PBP years as all my favourite rides are bunched together in a short period in the PBP qualification zones.
However may do some longer rides later on as a prelude to doing the Mersey Roads 24 hr TT.
Audax provides a welcome distraction to my main ambitions for the year of gaining my BC 3rd Cat racing license and finishing in the top 10 in the Midlands XC championships. 
As I live in Derby where we are about to have a brand new velodrome, will also expect to try out some track racing as well :thumbsup: 

« Reply #23 on: 15 August, 2014, 08:28:10 pm »
Interested in the AAA stuff--well it`s to do with where I live  :thumbsup:

So have got in second year audaxing an AAA-SR (Elenydd / Brev Cymru / Bryan chapman) and >50 AAA points (won`t get 100 though, maybe 80) ; aiming for AAARTY also. have (very vague) thoughts about trying for a second SR but clock is ticking away. Hopefully though can convert SR into SR-Cymru with a Cambrian 300.

Interested to find how after a year audaxing the 200/ 300 distances seem quite routine eg `tother half"  how did your ride go (referring to Rough Diamond 300)---me "it was quite easy" --wouldn`t have said that last year I`m sure (but have 3 x 300s this year with Snow roads too). Aim also to complete CET`s 50 x 100 rides in a year--on 35 at moment.

Disappointed to have DNS Mille Cymru but other priorities at end June.

Not sure about PBP 2015 but am looking to another AAA-SR--picking rides which will take me to various part country eg Cornwall !! Audaxing has bonus of taking me to places afar for the events  :)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #24 on: 15 August, 2014, 08:50:15 pm »
Jethro. ....Please add the running of WCW to your 2015 plans.....

:thumbsup: