Author Topic: Pentagonal Allen key?  (Read 9365 times)

John Henry

Pentagonal Allen key?
« on: 22 October, 2012, 05:15:47 pm »
New boss has a bike which appears to have pentagonal sockets on the skewers. He can't get the wheel off as he's lost (or was never given) the key. Anyone got some Clue as to where a suitable tool could be sourced? He needs to fix a puncture...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Pentagonal Allen key?
« Reply #1 on: 22 October, 2012, 05:21:48 pm »
it must be one of those security skewers - nearest decathlon should have them, including the key (or maybe their workshop could just lend the key?)

« Reply #2 on: 22 October, 2012, 05:39:22 pm »
Happy to post one on loan if that would help

« Reply #3 on: 22 October, 2012, 05:54:44 pm »
I have one too that I could loan you.  They generally come with the skewer set but I got mine from a fellow forumite. I wouldn't mind another spare as a friend uses them on his bike which I service.

« Reply #4 on: 22 October, 2012, 06:01:42 pm »
You could fix the puncture without taking the wheel off.
Use one of those Park quick puncture patches, or just a conventional patch.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 22 October, 2012, 06:24:12 pm »
I'm afraid this is another case of it possibly being easier and cheaper to buy a whole new set than one small part:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130705874255

- You could sell the unwanted skewers without the key to someone who's already got a key.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

John Henry

« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2012, 07:31:39 am »
Belated thanks to the above luminaries for all the advice and offers of help... I think he wants to own one permanently, so I've pointed him in ebay's direction.

Cheers.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2016, 05:25:49 pm »
I now need a penta key for security skewers that came with a bike I've bought second hand. Anyone able to lend me one? I could return it by first class post the same week.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2016, 05:53:51 pm »
Me.

« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2016, 05:54:47 pm »
I now need a penta key for security skewers that came with a bike I've bought second hand. Anyone able to lend me one? I could return it by first class post the same week.

If you remind me I can loan you mine when I send you monies for the sram bar grips.  I should be able to sort after Thursday.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10 on: 04 June, 2016, 10:11:18 pm »

Call in the shop and I'll lend you one happily. Alternately you can get the sets from both Prestwich Cycle Factors or M&J Distributors in Denton. FYI I haven't been able to find them separately . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2016, 08:52:22 am »
a thought; if you are stuck for such a key, could you grind a hexagonal one to fit?

I think the best tool for doing this would be an angle grinder (rather than a bench grinder) because it will cut faster and make less heat in the work.

To make it as easy as possible, good marking out is essential. There are some tricks here, e.g.  I'd suggest that;

- you could print out on paper a pentagon in the correct size and stick that to the work, which give you a guide to work to. A permanent mark can be made for each face using (say) a cutting disc on a dremel tool.

- or you could simply use a blob of blu-tack (or plasticene) on the end of the key, and take an impression of the socket directly. Trim off the excess with a craft knife. Again a dremel tool could be used to make a mark for each face.

- when grinding the key up, I'd suggest that to start with you grind the key with a slight taper to it; once the nose of the key enters the socket, you can determine which faces are touching and which are not. These faces should be ground a little more than the others when you start to grind the key faces parallel.

It probably takes longer to describe than to do the job!

cheers

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #12 on: 06 June, 2016, 09:10:47 am »
Thanks for the responses. It's great to have your support. I've asked Biggsy to mail me his key, since I want to transfer the wheels to my main bke as soon as possibe.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #13 on: 09 June, 2016, 11:53:47 am »
Biggsy's key arrived yesterday and is now speeding its way back to him, my skewers duly removed.

Which leaves me with some useless skewers. Let me know if you want them. They're the right length for touring/MTB wheels. I think I should allow Biggsy and PB first dibs.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: 09 June, 2016, 02:25:37 pm »
Thanks for the offer Fruity but I don't need any more.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #15 on: 14 June, 2016, 10:32:09 am »
OK. Thanks for the loan of the key.

Do you want the skewers, Polar Bear?