Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2999903 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23600 on: 31 December, 2018, 11:06:29 am »
I've just discovered that inviting doorstep Jehovah's Witnesses to our church on Sunday is a very effective way of getting them to choose to leave. I gave them the time and place as I felt it was worth inviting fellow 'christians' to join in our communion ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23601 on: 31 December, 2018, 11:41:37 am »
Leave your front doorstep or leave the JW? Either one’s a winner.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #23602 on: 31 December, 2018, 12:17:15 pm »
Only the former - my evangelism isn't that good! On the plus side I'm going to guess I'll be on the blacklist now so shouldn't be visited again for a while
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23603 on: 31 December, 2018, 12:45:16 pm »
Rubbish collection calendar tells me to refer to the Canterbury council website for special Christmas rubbish collection dates.

Canterbury council website tells me to refer to the calendar...

The only reason this is not in the rant thread is because I am so conditioned to expect incompetency as the norm from Canterbury council.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #23604 on: 31 December, 2018, 12:47:28 pm »
Only the former - my evangelism isn't that good! On the plus side I'm going to guess I'll be on the blacklist now so shouldn't be visited again for a while

I've been on the 'blacklist' for a while now, I think telling them that my parents allowed me to have a strangers blood when I was born means that there is now an invisible big red cross on the front door.

If only that worked for the Mormons as well...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23605 on: 31 December, 2018, 05:03:39 pm »
I've ranted in the past about the Polish brigade of JWs who turned up on our doorstep. They haven't been back for a couple of years since I pretended not to understand a word and just gave them an audax stare.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #23606 on: 31 December, 2018, 09:57:33 pm »
In the last two weeks I've had some aviation-related new experiences. I saw a JASDF Kawasaki C-2 for the first time, flying over the suburbs of Tokyo; I saw a Qatari C-17 (every other one I've seen belonged to the USAF or RAF), at Zurich airport; & I've had my first flight in a Canadian airliner, a Swiss Bombardier CS300 (recently renamed the Airbus A220-300), later that afternoon. Cheap & flimsy-looking interior, but flew OK, & the take-off was impressively steep. And who needs a luxurious interior for just over an hour of flying?

I couldn't help wondering what a Qatar Emirati Air Force transport aircraft was doing in Switzerland on a Sunday afternoon.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #23607 on: 31 December, 2018, 09:59:15 pm »
Leaving for forrin tomorrow involving a change at every travellers favourite black hole - Schipol.  Not just transiting either, I've a 15 hour layover which means 15 hours for the baggage mishandlers to lose my hold bag.  I'm sure they'll make the best of the opportunity.

I used to fly via Schiphol every month or so, but it never struck me as bad, & I never lost any baggage.

Maybe because I was just popping home for the weekend & only had hand baggage.

I'll get me coat.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #23608 on: 31 December, 2018, 10:34:25 pm »

I couldn't help wondering what a Qatar Emirati Air Force transport aircraft was doing in Switzerland on a Sunday afternoon.

Nazi gold? Collection or delivery - not sure...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Last time I stopped at Schiphol, en-route to Mumbai, my luggage,clothes, guitar Etc, went on to Hong Kong.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
with a 15 hour layover in Schipol I think I’d be tempted to use another method of transport to NL, probably the ferry form Harwich to Hook then train to the airport. It’d not save me any time, but it would reduce the hassle at Schipol and avoid a 15 hour wait in the dreadful place. Mind ewe, I am based in East Anglia so there’s little traveling at this end for me.
I flew from Cardiff. Next time I'll get the oh my dog it's early o'clock from brizzle but as the driver yesterday pointed out getting a taxi at 03:30 1st of jan is unlikely.  They'll all be drunk & snoring or cream crackered after the worst night of the year. Not that it'll matter so much next time, I'll be hand baggage only now until I demob.

I've had bags arrive a day or two late several times but Shipol is the only airport to try and do the job properly.  I was home from something like 10 days in Turkey (I think, long time ago) before my bag caught up.

Correction: Next time I'll more forcefully request Brizzle, what I get remains to be seem.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
There is a recently opened picture framing and arty shop a couple of miles from our house, yclept "The Pouch of Douglas".

My sister, a retired radiographer, explained that the pouch of Douglas is a small pocket in the female anatomy, also known as the recto-uterine pouch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recto-uterine_pouch refers.

That's an interesting name for a shop.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
It's a place the nastiest of nasty infections/abscesses can take hold.

I do wonder if the business owner or somebody close had suffered a problem there (or had been divorced from a surgeon with a bak end interest...)

Cudzoziemiec

I've noticed that one of the roads I rode along on Saturday night is called Five Thorn Lane. I'm glad to say it was not a case of nominative determinism.

We are now in the year that the films Akira, Blade Runner and The Running Man were set.

Once again, the future isn't what it used to be.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

I've just discovered that inviting doorstep Jehovah's Witnesses to our church on Sunday is a very effective way of getting them to choose to leave. I gave them the time and place as I felt it was worth inviting fellow 'christians' to join in our communion ;D

My F-I-L* used to invite them in, make them a big pot of tea and engage them in theological discussion. He was an atheist and an anarchist, but knew the bible inside out and gently ran rings around them. They never came back.

*Ex-wife's second step-father, but FIL is the best description.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Conundrum: install new speakers now or wait until after the great Lesser Bedchamber<->Estate Office Swapover?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
There is a recently opened picture framing and arty shop a couple of miles from our house, yclept "The Pouch of Douglas".

My sister, a retired radiographer, explained that the pouch of Douglas is a small pocket in the female anatomy, also known as the recto-uterine pouch.

Maybe the owner's from the Borders.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Email bialetti to ask for an english parts supplier.  Parts supplier google listed website has certificate issues.  Finally the part I want isn't sold.  If that is the case why do Bialetti list the part number and have people selling it in Italy?

hellymedic

• Just do it!

I cannot believe anyone would so name a business without knowing precisely what it was.

I do wonder if they are having a dig at the medical profession...
... or an arsehole named Douglas!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
https://www.pouchofdouglas.co.uk/

Maybe Douglas is the proprietor, and foolishly trusted someone with a background in both sarcasm and anatomy for shop-naming advice?  It's the sort of thing I'd do if I hadn't sworn not to use my powers for evil.

Someone needs to go in and ask who Douglas is, I reckon.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I think I may well do that. It's a couple of miles towards Dog Walking Central, where I, no longer owning a dog, regularly cycle to meet my pal so we can walk hers.

I suppose my saddlebag is now the Pouch of Dogless.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
^^^^ :'( BTDT
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

With a dose of luck our bins will be collected tomorrow. The brown food waste bin hasn't been emptied since 21st December.  ::-)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Greenbanks "Dry January 2019" thread has been blocked by our corporate firewall:

Alcohol and TobaccoSites that provide information about, promote, or support the sale of alcoholic beverages or tobacco products or associated paraphernalia.

::-)

[For some reason the word "paraphernalia" in that statement always makes me smile. Probably just me ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles