Author Topic: It's over before it began  (Read 3382 times)

It's over before it began
« on: 07 February, 2019, 03:03:32 pm »
So that's it. My dream of PBP is over before I even turned a wheel in anger.

Went to see my GP a couple of weeks back. He referred me to a Urologist, saying that "it would probably be better if you didn't ride". Got my letter today to book my appointment. Booked now for April 15th. That is going to be too late to gain any sort of fitness, even assuming the doc says I can start riding straight away.

So there it is. I have a ferry crossing with a bed and a campsite booked, I need to check the T & C's. I also have places on several rides including LWL and WCW which I will be giving up. I will be in touch with Liam and Daniel to tell them that my place is now available.

All I can say is ..... bugger.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: It's over before it began
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2019, 03:08:23 pm »
Yeah, bugger it is. An April appointment for a January malady doesn't imply any urgency, though. Doesn't "probably be better" allow you any leeway?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2019, 03:23:44 pm »
I thought that it might allow a little leeway and then thought, what if it does make it worse. At the moment it's not painful, just a little swollen (ok, no more details). The doc had no understanding of long distance cycling and when I said that I had a ride planned that weekend he said, "you should be ok". I said it is 130 miles and he said "No. Probably best not". I didn't tell him about the longer ones.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2019, 03:30:05 pm »
It's about 50 miles

to the first food stop/ checkpoint
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2019, 05:01:26 pm »
DFDS (ferry) do not refund any payments and charge £20 to change the name on the booking. I am booked on the ferry out of Newhaven at 23:00 on 15th August and return from Dieppe at 23:59 (French time) on 23rd August. I also have a cabin booked through Yanto OTP. I will check with him to make sure a transfer is acceptable.

I have paid £52 for the ferry and £27 for the crossing. There would also be the £20 admin charge.

Does anybody want to take this? Obviously not for full price.

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2019, 05:21:56 pm »
You could always keep your bookings and volunteer at PBP instead.

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2019, 05:50:21 pm »
DFDS (ferry) do not refund any payments and charge £20 to change the name on the booking. I am booked on the ferry out of Newhaven at 23:00 on 15th August and return from Dieppe at 23:59 (French time) on 23rd August. I also have a cabin booked through Yanto OTP. I will check with him to make sure a transfer is acceptable.

I have paid £52 for the ferry and £27 for the crossing. There would also be the £20 admin charge.

Sorry to hear you can't make it, but if you decide not to go over anyway and volunteer, I'd be interested in taking over the ferry booking. I'll pm you now.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2019, 07:27:02 am »

Hello Bob, I'm sorry to read this and I've no problem sending you money back, the cabin is in my name so no admin with DFDS, I'll message you.

Ian

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2019, 08:55:03 am »
You could always keep your bookings and volunteer at PBP instead.

Can I add that volunteering is a pretty cool thing to do?  I've volunteered on the past 2 LELs and there's some fun to be had. 

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #9 on: 08 February, 2019, 11:42:08 am »
Sorry to read this but, take heart, PBP will still be there in 2023.

I had to abandon my plans in 2007, having bagged my 200 and 300 qualifiers, and in 2011 I broke my wrist at the beginning of the year so ended up riding my 200 on the last possible weekend, if I recall.

In those days, there wasn't the level of interest that there is now so I hadn't felt the need to make any bookings for travel and accommodation.  It's certainly trickier now and it's a shame that you may well end up out of pocket.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2019, 03:19:13 pm »

Hello Bob, I'm sorry to read this and I've no problem sending you money back, the cabin is in my name so no admin with DFDS, I'll message you.

Ian

I have already been in conversation and worked a deal with Stefan. He will be taking the ferry booking and the cabin.

« Reply #11 on: 08 February, 2019, 04:06:02 pm »
Really sorry to hear the news Bob.  So many plans made that all end with disappointment.  I hope you manage to salvage something out of this year.  Very best wishes.

Steve

« Reply #12 on: 08 February, 2019, 05:12:23 pm »
Sorry to hear this Bob, I hadn’t realised this was the reason. Hope things work out ok in April. There will be other rides!

« Reply #13 on: 08 February, 2019, 09:20:17 pm »
Looks like the ferry and cabin are sorted, thanks Stefan.

Thank you John and Steve, hope to see you on a ride later in the year. John, I'll be in touch about the campsite. Need to email Huttopia first then go from there. I'd not be adverse to meeting in a pub to sort it out, but we'll see.

I volunteered on LEL in 2017 at the Louth control and really enjoyed it. That should give me a place on the ride in two years time (please don't change the rules) and something to aim for.

Thank you for all the good wishes. I have to keep reminding myself that it is just a bike ride.

Bob