Author Topic: Avoiding the blinders...  (Read 1844 times)

Avoiding the blinders...
« on: 28 March, 2023, 09:41:52 am »
I'm riding an overnight 300 Friday. My biggest concern is how to avoid the lazers of deth. Have thought about starting late, that just means I'm going to get flashed at as I pass others. -  I suppose it's a way to avoid the willy wavers at the front. Last year I was in a group riding lanes we asked one rider to dim his light as it was dangerous, he seemed quite proud of the fact that this was not possible.

Re: Avoiding the blinders...
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2023, 10:05:51 am »
Not sure you can unless you let everyone bugger off. If it’s not the front lasers, you get the red death rays shooting out behind them. You should try a recumbent where someone overlaps your wheel (and sits there the bugger) with their lasers shining in your mirrors.  You not only get to see your own shadow, you get blinded at the same time.

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2023, 10:28:44 am »
Just added a spacer to my main rear light so it angles horizontally with this event in mind ;D

(It is a very bright thing).

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2023, 10:44:57 am »
Time to issue a reminder about peloton-friendly lights.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2023, 10:55:30 am »
I was more concerned about the prospect of rain and my lack of fitness tbh. 

But now you mention it, its another reason why a gentleman's pace and a preference for riding alone has some advantages.  ;D     

My pet peeve isn't so much super bright lights but rear lights (presumably designed primarily for seat post use) that have been fitted parallel to a rear stay where the chief effect is to shine directly into the faces of riders behind.     

« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2023, 12:28:14 pm »
Guidance issued.  We'll see if it makes much difference.

A reminder to riders as the season for longer events looms.  AUK advises against flashing lights for group-riding.  Ensure also that your lights are correctly angled so as not to dazzle riders behind

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2023, 01:01:05 pm »
I can recommend protanopia and un-recommend decent mirrors as a way of coping with this sort of thing.

I've yet to find a solution to the sort of people who like to ride by million candlepower strobe-o-vision [See Dynamo: Dunwich - Ed], other than by waiting for them to crash.

Of course, the effect of other people's bright lights is diminished if yours are brighter...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2023, 01:08:41 pm »

Of course, the effect of other people's bright lights is diminished if yours are brighter...

And then the murders began.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2023, 02:56:06 pm »
and then the war broke out…

« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2023, 03:24:11 pm »
This is why I stopped using lights.  So far I've had no compla...aaagh!!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2023, 08:20:05 pm »
This is why I stopped using lights.  So far I've had no compla...aaagh!!!!!!!

You’ve time travelled from the Dark Ages, and just fallen into a worm pot hole.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2023, 07:52:00 am »

A reminder to riders as the season for longer events looms.  AUK advises against flashing lights for group-riding.  Ensure also that your lights are correctly angled so as not to dazzle riders behind
That passed without incident on Facebook... ::-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2023, 08:11:42 am »
Last time I looked at the rules, l'Union des Audax Français - n.b. not ACP - utterly taboo'd flashing lights front or rear, ditto head torches.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2023, 10:15:21 am »
No flashing lights is French road Law, I believe.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2023, 10:28:36 am »
Was, no longer the case since 2016.

« Reply #15 on: 31 March, 2023, 10:56:25 am »

Not too bad, majority were positive. I've turned commenting off.  Strangely the AUK tweet has a more positive response (retweets & likes).  I'll let it roll for a week or so.

« Reply #16 on: 31 March, 2023, 03:27:03 pm »
Not too bad, majority were positive. I've turned commenting off.  Strangely the AUK tweet has a more positive response (retweets & likes).  I'll let it roll for a week or so.
Perhaps GCN could include a short piece with that plea. Like this, maybe. Unlikely to be controversial.
https://youtu.be/gSd2_BPNzcU?t=155