Author Topic: New schalbe racer Brompton standard tyre: what size?  (Read 3984 times)

New schalbe racer Brompton standard tyre: what size?
« on: 08 November, 2017, 03:09:31 pm »
Does anyone know what size the new 'standard' 2018 Brompton tyre, the Schwalbe Racer, will be?
I am hoping it is still a 37 (like Brompton's own discontinued tyre) not the skinny 35 of the other green/plus marathons.....

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: New schalbe racer Brompton standard tyre: what size?
« Reply #2 on: 08 November, 2017, 06:21:30 pm »
Oh dear, I'd rather have more air: the only reason the greenguard/plus tyres are 35 not 37 is to make room for the thick elastomer...but I suppose Brompton have decided to standardise on size rather than allow one option to be cushier on rough countryside/UK roads...

Does the 2mm difference make tyres much harder to fit?

Perhaps I should stock up on Brompton brand tyres?

Will this lead to calls for a 305 big apple Brompton.....

The brakes look OK but I would prefer the TT/Synchron/Shimano 6800 style of a pivot on each arm for symmetricalness.
Handy that the same model does front or back.
I think I would choose the convenience of slide in pads though.

« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2017, 12:58:37 pm »
I wouldn't mind it being 35mm, quite excited about the Marathon Racers actually - I can't stand the regular Marathon and Marathon Plus tyres, horrible road feel and a nightmare to get on and off if you do ever have to change them. Am currently using the standard Brompton 37mm tyres.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:19:07 pm »
marathon racers are crap

Slower than normal marathons.

It isn't just my subjective opinion, see here: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/schwalbe-marathon-racer-2015
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:22:07 pm »
Slower and more puncture-prone.

Grip might be better?

« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:27:50 pm »
Meh, those numbers are all 20-ish Watts at 18 mph for every type. Not significant enough for me to care, especially as they're not even testing the Brompton sizes. IIRC the construction isn't particularly consistent between different sizes branded the same.

What I am interested in is how they feel - standard Marathons feel like shite.

« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2017, 02:11:49 pm »
Slower and more puncture-prone.

Grip might be better?
I ran one on the front of my commuting bike for a while (700c). Grip seemed ok.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 11 December, 2017, 06:18:31 pm »

What I am interested in is how they feel - standard Marathons feel like shite.

^^^ this

« Reply #9 on: 15 December, 2017, 12:10:06 am »
Seeing as the Kojak is liked by quite a few here as fastish why not a fatter (37mm) version of it?

« Reply #10 on: 18 December, 2017, 03:39:12 pm »
Seeing as the Kojak is liked by quite a few here as fastish why not a fatter (37mm) version of it?
They aren't fast.

I've ridden them, and liked the plushy feel of fat kojaks. I've ridden a 425km easter arrow on them.

But no matter how much we might 'feel' they are fast, objective testing shows that they have terribly high rolling resistance.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 18 December, 2017, 04:01:51 pm »
I bought some cheap Kojaks for barakta's trike before she went electric.  At the right pressure they were significantly faster, but that was coming from Marathon Plus.  The main difference was the much smoother ride and improved (on skog-free tarmac) grip.  I can believe that the suspension benefits of a more supple tyre on a small-wheeled (20") semi-rigid tricycle were a significant part of the improvement, and I wouldn't be surprised if that also applies to Bromptons.

(Now she's got a motor and rolling resistance is mostly irrelevant, I've gone to two Big Apples on the front and a Marathon Plus on the back.  That gives a reasonably smooth ride, works off-road and minimises the chances of having to faff about removing the motor wheel to fix a puncture.)

« Reply #12 on: 27 December, 2017, 09:07:35 am »
I like the feel of Kojaks but the puncture resistance is sub par for city riding. I know lots of people (via London Brompton Club) who've tried them and liked them but none have stuck with them.

« Reply #13 on: 27 December, 2017, 09:27:06 am »
I must be weird. I rather like my 20" Marathon Pluses on my Dahon, and for that matter the 700C ones on various bikes.

« Reply #14 on: 08 April, 2018, 01:57:20 pm »
I must be weird. I rather like my 20" Marathon Pluses on my Dahon, and for that matter the 700C ones on various bikes.

I put 700c 35mm Marathon Plus tyres on my Hewitt Cheviot tourer after reading of people raving about them, but took them off after only two weeks as hated the dead riding feel they gave, and they felt so heavy to get going. Switched to the more supple, lighter, and near-slick 32mm Marathon Supremes (folding bead version) and the change in riding feel was like going from driving a truck to driving a gran tourer sports car, has made for a much more pleasant riding experience.

« Reply #15 on: 11 April, 2018, 01:30:54 pm »
For those unwilling to abandon the 37mm width:

an indirect recommendation of low cost nutrak tyres:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=119833&p=1215761&hilit=brompton+racer+tyre#p1215795

I have just bought some but not used:
they seem pretty like a marathon kevlar but I think the sidewalls may be slightly more flexable (and not reflective tape).