Author Topic: NEC Cycle Show by bike. Any experience?  (Read 1277 times)

NEC Cycle Show by bike. Any experience?
« on: 13 September, 2017, 03:47:10 pm »
I'm considering popping over to the NEC on the Friday this year. Normally I would drive or go by motorcycle, but for logistical reasons it makes sense to take the train this year, and I'm pondering whether to walk the 3 miles to the station at this end, or take the Moulton.  If the latter option, then I'll need to either bag it up and leave it in the cloakroom, or find somewhere to lock it up - I see the floor plan says 'Bike park outside'... 

Does anybody have any experience of either of these? I'm reluctant to risk damage or theft...
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: NEC Cycle Show by bike. Any experience?
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2017, 04:23:21 pm »
Where are you coming from?  If you change at B'ham New St, it would make sense to bag it and leave it in the left luggage there.  If you are traveling directly to B'ham International, it doesn't sound a good idea to lock it up. 
However, I've never checked the cycle facilities there, so maybe someone else could advise.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:56:31 pm »
It's Birmingham, it's a Moulton. Need I say more? !!!!!!

Old hack to leave at station your end?

« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2017, 10:05:05 am »
Well, I don't have an old hack, plus I'm going on elsewhere afterwards, not returning home, so good as that suggestion is if doesn't work for me in this case. 

Going from Newport, so changing at Mordor Central, but again not returning the same way.

Ho hum. Looks like I'll be walking to Newport station then. I really hoped the cloakroom at NEC would take a bagged bike, but not worth taking a chance on it. :-)

Thanks all.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4 on: 14 September, 2017, 10:19:18 am »
iirc, they had a dedicated bike storage on the premises, as any other cycle show i've been to had

eta: http://www.cycleshow.co.uk/bike-park/

« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2017, 10:23:56 am »
I've done it (years ago). I parked my bike in some sort of courtyard thing which seemed pretty secure.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #6 on: 14 September, 2017, 02:46:47 pm »
For the last 3-years I have attended and used my bike to and from the NEC.  There is indeed very good and secure bike parking just outside the halls which have an attendant who will give you and your bike a wristband which you will need to keep in order to get your bike back afterwards. Its also free.

Certainly saves the £10 parking fee

« Reply #8 on: 25 September, 2017, 07:37:19 am »
Thanks all!

In the end, the question ended up being moot once I checked the train times.  I live 10 minutes ride or 45 minutes walk from Newport station, and had a choice of trains which gave me either 5 minutes or 65 minutes to get there... So I walked.  ;D