Author Topic: Dynamo lights  (Read 10873 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Dynamo lights
« Reply #50 on: 13 November, 2017, 02:03:51 pm »
One of the things I found slightly disconcerting about the IQ-X when I started using it was the way, when you stop at a junction, the light suddenly goes from brilliant to sub-Ever Ready Night Rider.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #51 on: 13 November, 2017, 07:51:04 pm »
I don't like  the annoying fast  flickering of front hub dynamo led lamps at low speed: also what is the point of the UK government limiting UK flashing cycle lamps to 1-4hz for the sake of epileptics if any old fast flashing is accepted from a hub dynamos front led when ridden at low speed or being wheeled?
The IQ-X isn't a cheap lamp, so that sounds rather disappointing....*   
As the Germans already  ban flashing lamps perhaps some epileptics will lean on the Stzvo to tighten up their requirements on front LED lamps (there is some sort of  requirement dating from filament bulbs days so allows the worse effects of LED front lamps).

*I would prefer not to have to fit a battery? backup circuit to avoid such flicker  if I ever have to replace my Nordlicht with a hub generator because  I don't really want another bottle even if the Nordlicht has been reliable).

« Reply #52 on: 13 November, 2017, 09:42:02 pm »
I see. By the way, why do they flicker at all? With my negligible understanding of electronics, it seems like you could just add a bigger capacitor. It’s odd that when slowing to a stop the lamp works better when stopped than very slow.

On the B&M light I reverse engineered (one of the cheapies), the output of the standlight capacitor was fed through a separate circuit that limited its brightness (hence the complaint about dim standlights above). When your dynamo moves (but slowly) it causes spikes of voltage above this level, hence the flickering.

To fix this you'd need either a second capacitor smoothing the input or the LED output, or a smarter circuit to decisively switch between "dim standlight" and "bright moving" mode, hence the CPU in the Luxos U (which doesn't flicker when it's working properly).

« Reply #53 on: 03 July, 2021, 06:21:27 pm »
I'm quite tempted to invest in a dynamo system. As well as the lighting, options to charge batteries, phones, Garmins etc would be ideal.

I've heard about buffer batteries, stem-cap USB charging ports, amongst the myriad of dynamo-fu.

The problem I have is I'm electrically clueless. I'm daunted by the prospect of not knowing where to start with turning a range of parts into an effective, wired, working whole.

Once I decide what parts will work best for my purposes, how much knowledge would I need to acquire? Can I rely on decent instructions (I know it probably depends on what I buy), or is there a Dynamos For Dummies-esque reference out there? A SON28 hub is my likely starting point.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

« Reply #54 on: 03 July, 2021, 08:25:32 pm »
Spa Cycles of Harrogate sell complete dynamo light kits with front wheel ready built with a dynamo hub, front and rear lights, and a USB charger if you want. Very easy to fit - the only decisions you have to make are where and how to mount the lights and charger and where to run the wiring. I bought one of these kits to start me off with dynamo lights.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m10b0s209p0/Wheels/Dynamo-Wheel-and-Light-Bundles
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #55 on: 03 July, 2021, 11:01:03 pm »
Another one for the list - Spa Cycles have recently started stocking their own brand dynamos
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s133p0/Wheel-Components/Hubs-Dynamo

Which I've read elsewhere (CTC forum) are rebadged KASAI units, not much detail on Spa's website, other than they're user serviceable, which is a plus, a bit more information here
https://bikepacking.com/news/kasai-dynacoil-fs-dynamo-hub/

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #56 on: 04 July, 2021, 10:46:46 am »
The flickering of a dynamo light is the primary reason I haven't got one, as that's an instant migraine trigger for me (WFH has been utter bliss, as I no longer have to deal with the overhead fluorescents).

If I wanted the least flickery light that could also charge electronics, what would be my best option?

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #57 on: 04 July, 2021, 11:13:34 am »
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm going to want bespoke, at least to build the wheel, so an off the shelf idiot-proof package won't suffice for this particular idiot  ;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #58 on: 04 July, 2021, 12:11:58 pm »
The Kasai dynohub doesn't look particularly worthwhile to me. The cost is at more than Shimano level and almost Schmidt level while the replacement internal is most of the cost of the hub. Yes, you can replace the bearing on one side of the hub easily and you can save the cost of rebuilding the wheel but HK has an in-house wheel builder, so not too much saving there.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 04 July, 2021, 02:05:03 pm »
The flickering of a dynamo light is the primary reason I haven't got one, as that's an instant migraine trigger for me (WFH has been utter bliss, as I no longer have to deal with the overhead fluorescents).

If I wanted the least flickery light that could also charge electronics, what would be my best option?

Something with an actual battery, I think.  How does the Luxos U behave?

I suppose you could use a battery light that could run from USB power.

Also consider rim/tyre driven dynamos: Their much higher speed should mean less flicker.

« Reply #60 on: 04 July, 2021, 02:20:01 pm »
When in working order a Luxos U behaves like a battery light with no visible flicker, unless the battery has gone dead from lack of use (several days if not weeks).

The problem is the working order part. Order from somewhere with a good replacement policy.

« Reply #61 on: 04 July, 2021, 05:27:33 pm »
The Kasai dynohub doesn't look particularly worthwhile to me.......

Hmmmm. It does to me.  I agree the costs could be better but the disintermediation it provides looks excellent - fix the bearings without risking the wiring and fix/replace the internals without rebuilding the wheel are all attractive to me.  I know rebuilding a wheel takes me only an hour or two but it's still a waste of time to fix something that's not broken and proven reliable.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #62 on: 04 July, 2021, 06:34:02 pm »
I understand that the wheel bearing on one side is integral with the winding, so not actually replaceable in the field. Happy to be proved wrong, which would tilt the balance a bit.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...