Author Topic: ebay bike purchase  (Read 2202 times)

ebay bike purchase
« on: 07 February, 2018, 06:42:37 pm »
If there's a 'buy it now' bike for sale on ebay locally - remind me of the best way to go about buying.  I notice ebay don't allow one to exchange contact details, but presumably it makes sense to have a look first?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: ebay bike purchase
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2018, 06:55:36 pm »
Click on "contact seller", send a message.

If they agree that you can view first before buying, they will send you their phone number or address.

« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2018, 07:02:15 pm »
So presumably one could click buy on ebay via mobile having looked at the bike and select pay on collection?  I can't remember the options, as I've always paid via paypal.

« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2018, 07:03:23 pm »
Click on "contact seller", send a message.

If they agree that you can view first before buying, they will send you their phone number or address.

OK that's what used to happen but Ebay's policy now is no contact details can be sent through Ebay.
Presumably that's to stop deals being done outside of Ebay. Maybe you can arrange somewhere public to meet and view.

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/rfe-spam-ov.html
Member-to-member contact policy

Members can send messages to each other through eBay. We encourage open communication between our members but we don't allow our members to use these options to send spam, offers to buy or sell off eBay, threats, profanity, or hate speech. We also don't allow members to exchange email addresses, phone numbers or other contact information, web addresses, or links within eBay messaging systems (Best Offer, My Messages etc.). eBay may monitor messages sent through eBay and between users for fraud, abuse, spam, and other violations of eBay's policies.

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including your messages being blocked, limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

Please remember that we don't have control over communication unless it takes place through eBay. Also, posts on eBay discussion boards aren't covered by this policy. However, we do have a discussion boards usage policy.

« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2018, 07:14:20 pm »
So presumably one could click buy on ebay via mobile having looked at the bike and select pay on collection?  I can't remember the options, as I've always paid via paypal.

If you click on "buy", then you're committed to buying and paying. The seller can then send you their details. If the buyer is collecting in person, the seller should always take cash.

If you manage to view before buying, then anything that happens off-Ebay is between you and the seller, and Ebay can't do anything about it.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2018, 07:28:10 pm »
Just exchange coded email addresses or phone numbers, that's what I've done in the past.

« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2018, 07:31:19 pm »
Or you can click buy.

Then when you collect, if you don't like the bike, you can both agree to cancel. Best to let the seller know if that's OK beforehand though.

I don't think a cancellation would affect the seller's or buyer's accounts.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2018, 07:34:36 pm »
I'd be peeved if someone clicked buy and then just came to kick the tyres.

« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2018, 07:40:58 pm »
I would too! That's why I said tell the seller before buying.

Ebay says no "Offers to buy or sell outside eBay"
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html
We don't allow our members to use eBay to contact each other to make offers to buy or sell items outside of eBay. Also, members can't use information obtained from eBay to contact each other about buying or selling outside of eBay.

Does viewing count as buying or selling?

dim

« Reply #9 on: 07 February, 2018, 07:45:45 pm »
Or you can click buy.

Then when you collect, if you don't like the bike, you can both agree to cancel. Best to let the seller know if that's OK beforehand though.

you should not do that. Contact the seller and tell him that you are interested in buying the bike, but you wish to view it first. Once you have viewed and decide to buy the bike, you can then pay cash and take the bike. You should then click buy it now on your ebay account so that the transaction is complete. The seller then has to pay 10% commision to Ebay

If you click buy, then view it and don't like it, it causes all sorts of problems for the seller. He has to then contact Ebay and tell them that you don't want the item .... You have to also verify this with Ebay... and all the people who have tagged the item in their watch list are under the impression that the item is sold

If you contact the seller and make arrangements to view the bike (through Ebay messaging), then view the bike and negotiate a discount, and the seller cancels the Ebay listing (stating that the item is no longer available), the seller can get booted off Ebay (that nearly happened to me)

You can get around this though by contacting the seller through Ebay, and asking him/her to phone you as you have a few questions .... this way, there is no record of you visiting the seller and buying the item .... it's against Ebay rules though
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #10 on: 07 February, 2018, 08:00:00 pm »
Or you can click buy.

you should not do that. Contact the seller and tell him that you are interested in buying the bike, but you wish to view it first. Once you have viewed and decide to buy the bike, you can then pay cash and take the bike. You should then click buy it now on your ebay account so that the transaction is complete. The seller then has to pay 10% commision to Ebay

If you click buy, then view it and don't like it, it causes all sorts of problems for the seller. He has to then contact Ebay and tell them that you don't want the item .... You have to also verify this with Ebay... and all the people who have tagged the item in their watch list are under the impression that the item is sold

If you contact the seller and make arrangements to view the bike (through Ebay messaging), then view the bike and negotiate a discount, and the seller cancels the Ebay listing (stating that the item is no longer available), the seller can get booted off Ebay (that nearly happened to me)

You can get around this though by contacting the seller through Ebay, and asking him/her to phone you as you have a few questions .... this way, there is no record of you visiting the seller and buying the item .... it's against Ebay rules though

Good points.

I did say let the buyer know first; ask if it's OK to buy then view then keep or cancel because contact details can't be sent before buying.

dim

« Reply #11 on: 07 February, 2018, 08:14:48 pm »
Or you can click buy.

Good points.

I did say let the buyer know first; ask if it's OK to buy then view then keep or cancel because contact details can't be sent before buying.

you can contact the seller using the 'other' option on the list and ask for his address and make a viewing appointment. Do not click buy it now if you are not sure that you want the bike ....

If you do select Buy It Now, and  the seller has not described all the flaws, that's another story ... you can then refuse to pay, or you can negotiate a discount (face to face) .... the buyer then gives you a partial refund through Ebay, which is then deducted from his final commision fees

« Reply #12 on: 07 February, 2018, 08:18:36 pm »
OK thanks for all this.  So basically it seems that ebay in it's wisdom doesn't want anyone to view before buying, as they've made it against the rules to give out any contact details.
We also don't allow members to exchange email addresses, phone numbers or other contact information, web addresses, or links within eBay messaging systems (Best Offer, My Messages etc.). eBay may monitor messages sent through eBay and between users for fraud, abuse, spam, and other violations of eBay's policies.

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including your messages being blocked, limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
ebay

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13 on: 07 February, 2018, 08:40:20 pm »
What is wrong with including in the text of your message: 'U can get me on oh one two three four ...' etc. ? Works for me.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

dim

« Reply #14 on: 07 February, 2018, 08:41:09 pm »
OK thanks for all this.  So basically it seems that ebay in it's wisdom doesn't want anyone to view before buying, as they've made it against the rules to give out any contact details.
We also don't allow members to exchange email addresses, phone numbers or other contact information, web addresses, or links within eBay messaging systems (Best Offer, My Messages etc.). eBay may monitor messages sent through eBay and between users for fraud, abuse, spam, and other violations of eBay's policies.

ebay

I sell often on Ebay and many of my items are for collection only as they are too bulky for shipping .... Members interested have always contacted me through Ebay to arrange a viewing  (and I state on my listings that they are most welcome (and should) view the item at my home before commiting to buy)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #15 on: 07 February, 2018, 10:42:51 pm »
Sellers like dim risk getting suspended.  It is really happening according to posters on the eBay Community forum.

Regarding payment methods: eBay sellers nowdays can't refuse payment by PayPal for any sale regardless of what other options they set.  Cash is quite likely to be accepted when collecting the item in person but you can't definitely expect it if it's not an option in the listing.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #16 on: 07 February, 2018, 11:39:19 pm »
Another easy method is for one party to list something else for a quid and the other to BIN, You're now free to exchange contact details and you can always knock the quid of the other item if you buy.