Author Topic: Carradice Duxback overshoes  (Read 1131 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Carradice Duxback overshoes
« on: 15 February, 2018, 05:25:48 pm »
I recently discovered that Carradice use their waxed cotton canvas material to make clothes as well as panniers and saddlebags. I guess I knew they made capes but specifically I discovered they also make overshoes.
https://www.carradice.co.uk/products/rainwear/duxback-overshoes

Has anybody used them? Or got any relevant experience? Or guesses? It strikes me it should be long lasting and stand a fair bit of walking around in, unlike most overshoes, and presumably it's waterproof – apart from the holes at top and bottom, of course – as well as windproof, but it might be uncomfortably stiff on the ankles. They're cheap though, compared to other overshoes, so maybe worth a try?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: Carradice Duxback overshoes
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2018, 06:01:31 pm »
I've been meaning to get a pair for a while to match my cape; I'm tall enough that rain can sneak under it and hit my lower legs (apart from road spray). I'd imagine it will keep the water off for a while, but I find even freshly-proofed waxed cotton wets out in heavy rain; the advantage of using it for a cape is that the bit that gets wettest is held away from your body. I'd use them for commutes in civvies, but I wouldn't have thought they'd be ideal for long spirited rides in the wet.

Roy

« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2018, 08:06:58 pm »
Used them for years when commuting. Wore them over a pair of doc. martins. They certainly kept my feet dry.

« Reply #3 on: 16 February, 2018, 08:29:46 am »
I have a pair that are just a bit too small for me to use. If anyone wants them . . .

I think they'd fit over size 40shoes, max.

The disadvantage of them is that they don't stretch at all. So they have to fit well.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 16 February, 2018, 11:53:03 am »
I'm 41 or 42.  :( Thanks for the feedback, all.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 16 February, 2018, 01:53:19 pm »
Fit is everything, I have a pair which are OK with none cycling boots and awful with cycling shoes.
A similar design, different material and available in a better range of sizes are the Eagar Overshoes