Author Topic: Dynamo front hub / wheel advice...  (Read 1464 times)

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
Dynamo front hub / wheel advice...
« on: 19 February, 2018, 09:49:37 pm »
Hi all
Wanted to ask for some advice...
Am considering getting my existing front wheel rebuilt around a Dynamo hub.
My wheelset is Superstar Components Pave 28 (https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pave-28-ultra-11speed-wheelset-2024.htm), front wheel is 20 spoke radial, rear is 24 2x
The hub I was thinking of was the SP SV-9 (20h)
I’ve been happy with the wheels so far - seem pretty durable despite the low spoke count
My question is...how suitable/sensible is it to run a Dynamo hub in these wheels? Will a heavier front
Hub/ different flange affect their strength/ handling? Would I be better off waiting until I can afford to upgrade the entire wheelset / front wheel?

For context, my frame is a Kinesis Racelight with Carbon forks, I am about 85kg and I mostly ride Audax type events (ie long day / night rides with <5kg luggage)

Any advice welcomed...

Cheers

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Dynamo front hub / wheel advice...
« Reply #1 on: 19 February, 2018, 10:11:51 pm »
Really one for Mike Conway but my immediate thoughts would be the suitability of the hub for radial spoking. If that's not a problem the next issue would be building a new hub into a used rim.

Superstar will sell you replacement rims, given you will need different length spokes (an assumption but not an unreasonable one), I think a new build would be the best move. Not spoiling the ship for a ha'porth o' tar and all that, besides, keeping your original front gives you a swap in spare for Summer daylight only blasts.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 19 February, 2018, 10:32:31 pm »
the flanges on the SP SV-9 hub are not very widely spaced. This will make the wheel weaker, all things being equal.

I would not recommend a 20h 700C wheel with that hub in it as being suitable for many riders; I would recommend that hub with more spokes or a different hub with wider spaced flanges.

cheers

« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2018, 10:53:37 am »
The Superstar Pave 28 rim is a Kinlin XC279 iirc. Easily obtainable from a number of sources and shouldn't be expensive to just build a new one.

The SV-9 hub can be radially laced in 20 or 24 hole variants, or you could get a 24 hole 2x lacing.

Brucey is right, the flange spacing is a bit narrow (but I think the same is true of the 8 series too). I built a 24 spoke radially laced wheel that's been fine, but one of the reasons I didn't build a 20h was exactly that. I seem to weight about 80kgs. The build was to see how light I could build a set of dynamo semi aero wheels - c.1800g was the result.

Mike

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2018, 01:09:57 pm »
Much appreciated gentlemen, thanks.

Will probably go with a new superstar/kinlin 24h rim laced 2x in that case...

Question: if I were to change rear wheel to 32h in future (as seems to be the received wisdom in audax circles for longer/multi day events) would I be better to choose a matching rim for my new front wheel now? Or is it ok to mix and match manufacturers/models?. Also would  32/24 be weird?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 22 February, 2018, 05:08:50 pm »
If it's longevity you seek then I'd go for a pair of hubs and a matching pair of rims now.

Speak to Mike Conway or your wheelbuilder of choice. The info you provide will help you make an informed choice as to which rims for your chosen tyre width and what configuration works best for your body weight.

A new pair of wheels means your Superstar set can be sold on which helps reduce the overal costs.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #6 on: 22 February, 2018, 06:56:59 pm »
when the flanges are narrower spaced the wheel is so much weaker that I would advise a 28/32 or a 32/32 wheelset, depending on the rims that are used.

Four DB spokes weigh about 30g and make a 28 spoke wheel ~18% stronger than a 24 spoke wheel.

cheers

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #7 on: 22 February, 2018, 07:00:05 pm »
Cheers. Yep as it happens that’s exactly what I’ve done. Had a good chat with the (very helpful & nice) wheelbuilder at Spa Cycles and have bitten the bullet and ordered a new pair of wheels.

For anyone who may be interested I have gone for

Kinlin Xc- 279 rims (32h front 36h rear)
Sapim race spokes
SP-PV8 dynohub
Novatec F162 rear hub

All in around £270 including build, skewers, rim tape etc

Thanks for all the suggestions/advice guys.

« Reply #8 on: 22 February, 2018, 08:02:31 pm »
Cheers. Yep as it happens that’s exactly what I’ve done. Had a good chat with the (very helpful & nice) wheelbuilder at Spa Cycles and have bitten the bullet and ordered a new pair of wheels.

For anyone who may be interested I have gone for

Kinlin Xc- 279 rims (32h front 36h rear)
Sapim race spokes
SP-PV8 dynohub
Novatec F162 rear hub

All in around £270 including build, skewers, rim tape etc

Thanks for all the suggestions/advice guys.

Presume they’ll be built 3 cross?

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #9 on: 22 February, 2018, 08:26:43 pm »
Yep, that’s right.