Author Topic: Michelin killing the Krylion?  (Read 1708 times)

Michelin killing the Krylion?
« on: 20 August, 2011, 07:15:06 pm »
I know they tried before by forgetting to make any (or something like that), but I read the new Pro 4 range has a "endurance" version to replace the Krylion.

So, have they gone and stuffed the best general-purpose p*nture-resistant training tyre ???

(can you spot I'm a big fan?)

Re: Michelin killing the Krylion?
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2011, 07:48:45 pm »
Well as you can get Krylions for around £20 each at the moment why not stock up?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2011, 08:27:02 pm »
I don't get why Michelin always seem to concentrate on a top-of-the-range tyre to the detriment of slightly cheaper tyres which last longer and might sell more. Rubino Pros and Gatorskins are everywhere, but all I hear of Krylions is "a shop has some in stock, quick, buy them before they disappear!"

« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2011, 08:39:52 pm »
I don't get why Michelin always seem to concentrate on a top-of-the-range tyre to the detriment of slightly cheaper tyres which last longer and might sell more. Rubino Pros and Gatorskins are everywhere, but all I hear of Krylions is "a shop has some in stock, quick, buy them before they disappear!"
Yes, it is peculiar. I race on PR3s, but my current pair have lasted 2 seasons of TTing so I'm buying way more Krylions than PR3s.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 20 August, 2011, 08:46:37 pm »
Michelin gets such a small proportion of its income from bicycle tyres that it doesn't really care about providing a good full range.  It just does a few for old-time's sake and a bit of advertising.  Reading between the lines, reprentatives from Michelin have virtually admitted this.

As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), Vittoria and Schwalbe make the majority of their money from cycling products, so have a more focused and full-on aproach to bike tyres.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2011, 09:55:16 pm »
Michelin gets such a small proportion of its income from bicycle tyres that it doesn't really care about providing a good full range.  It just does a few for old-time's sake and a bit of advertising.  Reading between the lines, reprentatives from Michelin have virtually admitted this.

Michelin were at the forefront of the clincher's resurgence in the pro peloton in the 90s, seems like the motivation for that has gone now they've all gone back to tubs (I blame deep section carbon rims, which don't lend themselves to a hooked sidewall for beads).

I wonder how this compares to Continental - a car tyre company which has very good range of bike tyres. Vittoria only really make bike tyres, and their reputation is built on tubs.

« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2011, 09:59:03 pm »
They have altered the tyre profile on the race tyres and brought all the tyres in a specific area under 1 banner. There is a video on a cycling site (can't remember which) of the company rep. showing the variants. The race version is designed to last 50% longer.

« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2011, 10:07:58 pm »

As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), Vittoria and Schwalbe make the majority of their money from cycling products, so have a more focused and full-on aproach to bike tyres.
What about Continental? Isn't it in much the same situation as Michelin?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2011, 10:33:21 pm »
What about Continental? Isn't it in much the same situation as Michelin?

May be so, but that doesn't mean its attitude has to be the same.  I'm left with the distinct impression that Michelin isn't interested in competing hard in cycling market.  It doesn't bother with 16" tyres, for example, because other companies already cater for this size.  Conti isn't as good as Schwalbe in this area either.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

inc

« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2011, 10:43:05 pm »
I don't find Krylions that good. Having used Michelin almost exclusively  since the HD comps  twenty years a go. I final got fed up with their prices for Pro threes and am now using Continental Ultra sport  and find them great at half the price.