Author Topic: Why you should use decent pads for your rim brakes  (Read 48860 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Why you should use decent pads for your rim brakes
« Reply #100 on: 22 August, 2011, 03:29:38 pm »
Most of the black or grey powdery substance is aluminium from the rim itself.  Sprayed up grit makes the brake pad more abbrasive, so it grinds the rim more.  I get plenty of grey muck when it's very wet when using salmon pads as well - rear and front, but more so on the rear.

You'd still get grey muck (ie. rim wear) even if the brake pads were pure white.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

fuzzy

« Reply #101 on: 22 August, 2011, 03:32:50 pm »
50 minutes wet commute on Thursday, I started with new clean wheels. The rear brake had Koolstop black pads, very noisy and as the pic shows, quite messy

Valve core nipple thingy looks a bit slack.....
mmm the tire was about to get inflated... and some day I'll align the inner tube properly to get the valve at the right angle.

Righto!

« Reply #102 on: 22 August, 2011, 06:09:23 pm »
cough - disc brakes - cough
Nuns, no sense of humour

corshamjim

« Reply #103 on: 22 August, 2011, 08:24:26 pm »
Ahem.  Drum Brakes.  Sniff.

« Reply #104 on: 22 August, 2011, 08:44:26 pm »
Bought a bulk buy of replacement brake pads for magura  hs 33, at York Rally some years ago .  They were binned, crap compared to the maguras (swisstop ). Went thro a front rim on the tandem in a few weeks big mistake, expensive pads work out cheaper over time.

« Reply #105 on: 22 August, 2011, 09:10:34 pm »
Can anyone tell me whether Koolstop salmons reduce rim wear over the other colours, or are they just supposed to be better in the wet? I've used grey before (and I've got black on order) and didn't recall any difference, ie, they were good.

Cheers

« Reply #106 on: 22 August, 2011, 09:33:00 pm »
With the exception of the dual compounds supplied with the shoes I've only ever used Salmon. I can't think of a reason to use anything else, they don't seem to wear fast and when it rains (as it inevitably will) you've got the best ones on.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #107 on: 22 August, 2011, 10:38:49 pm »
Can anyone tell me whether Koolstop salmons reduce rim wear over the other colours, or are they just supposed to be better in the wet?

Kool Stop describe them as "for wet conditions", without saying what that means.  I find both Salmon and Dual Compound good in all conditions - except extremely wet conditions.  No blocks I've ever tried are good in extremely wet conditions.

I haven't tried the all-black Kool Stops.  I have tried many, many other makes.  Kool Stops pick up less grit and metal than the rest.  This is the main reason I stick wih them and recommend them.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●