Author Topic: ARGOS tandem  (Read 2802 times)

ARGOS tandem
« on: 27 February, 2013, 04:27:33 pm »
  I have today become the proud owner of an Argos tandem. It is maroon in colour and is a racing tandem with rear facing dropouts because of the short wheelbase. I shall now redouble my efforts to persuade my partner Liz to try out this wonderfull machine. I  shall be trying a few events on it with Mc Nasty and hope to have it fully operational before the Mersey 24 in July. It needs wheels and at the moment has only one chainring. I was given it FOC by a rider who can no longer use it. He wanted it to go to a good home so I hope to fulfill this expectation and intend to pass it on in the same way when I no longer can make good use of it. Anyone know any details of these machines?

Re: ARGOS tandem
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2013, 04:52:08 pm »
You mean your partner is new to tandeming, and you want to ride a 24 hours time trial this summer? I wish you good luck!

Anyway, you are a lucky man and I'm jealous! When I was prospecting for a new custom tandem frame a few months ago, I asked Argos,
and they told me they don't make tandems anymore.

I'm sure many of us are awaiting to see photos of your tandem!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2013, 04:54:26 pm »
I suspect that he is saying that the experienced tandemist McNasty would be stoking.
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2013, 05:00:22 pm »
I'm sure a pair of youngsters like yourself and McNasty will only need the one chainwheel.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2013, 05:37:08 pm »
 Clarion , you are correct, my partner is McNasty and we rode tandem in the Mersey roads 24 the last two years. we did in fact establish a British VTTA record for this as no one our age had riden it before. Not sure if this has been validated yet tho' as it wisnae on the website the last time I looked. I do think we could probably need only one chainring for the 24 although there is one steep hill one one of the shorter laps. The Snow Roads and other similar events definitely need a triple or even a walk as the last few years have shown.

« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2013, 06:44:20 pm »
I suspect that he is saying that the experienced tandemist McNasty would be stoking.

Ah!! Sorry, I misunderstood the original post.

« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2013, 10:13:42 am »
With rear-facing dropouts, is this a track or road tandem?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 17 March, 2013, 10:15:58 am »
If the chainstays are short, only vertical or rear-opening dropouts let you get the wheel out. It is easier to build a frame with non-vertical dropouts.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 17 March, 2013, 10:56:56 am »
Thanks for that!

« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2013, 08:45:39 pm »
I am looking forward to a picture of this thoroughbred machine!

« Reply #10 on: 19 May, 2013, 07:55:14 am »
  The project has moved forward a little. Saw a pair of 48 spoke wheels on Ebay and was successful in my purchase. Collected only a few miles away on the other side of the Forth. Alex DH19 rims with QR hubs with sealed bearings and disc compatible rear. Very little wear so I am delighted. They were bought from JD Cycles. Only £136. I believe the rear hub alone is now around £130 retail. I can now see this project being finished this year perhaps even for the Mersey 24. Will post foties sometime.

« Reply #11 on: 20 May, 2013, 07:12:52 am »
Very good choice for the wheels! The people at JD tandems are really serious and competents about tandems, I'm sure you won't have any problem with those wheels.