Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo 24-25 July 2010  (Read 160280 times)

Re: Dunwich Dynamo 24-25 July 2010
« Reply #825 on: 27 July, 2010, 01:13:42 am »
I did it on the Brompton, which certainly made getting back easier! There was a French chap with a blue Brompton whose name I'm afraid I forgot (but a yacf type).

I set off with Team Slow, following the three tandems (with two trailers between 'em), recumbent, vast touring loads, etc. However after Finchfingfield (note that the pub there serves BEER until 1am so a slightly earlier start may be useful) we got a bit scattered; I set off with Wow, CL, and Feline (and Andy C?) but arrived at the feed stop riding only with Feline.

After that I rode with Wow, CL, and Andy for a bit, who were kind of catching up with the rest of Team Slow but then decided to stop for tea and cakes. I was easily persuaded and after that the four of us - and then the three of us as Andy fell behind (I was glad to see him arrive) - plugged onto Dunwich spotting only the occasional other rider and a couple of groups who kept passing us and stopping.

I sat on the beach for a bit but then plugged off to get a train. Thanks to Wow and CL for putting up with my merry babble for the last third or so of the ride - it keeps me going to have someone to talk to.

« Reply #826 on: 27 July, 2010, 08:11:57 am »
Does anyone have any news on the guy who came off his bike? 
Damn, one did come off then?

We were waved over to the wrong side of the road by a torch wielding civvy woman who was using her Golf to shield the injured party while the medic did his thing.
The chap was sitting up and had claret marks on his forehead - it didn't look like it was too serious.
Unable to tell whether or not there was another cyclist or vehicle involved.
Plenty of others in attendance, so we didn't stop.

As we rode away from the scene, another ambulance was making its way in that direction.

« Reply #827 on: 27 July, 2010, 08:21:50 am »
Twas a wonderul ride, despite the sore arse, knee and earwig infestation.  I'm currently having Post Dun Run Fun and am camped at Saxmundham (£3, no hot water or shower)   It's a lovely sunny day.   

Thanks to al of Team Slow, sorry to the ones I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to on Monday, split second decision prompted by a pub sign (it was shut).....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #828 on: 27 July, 2010, 09:50:31 am »
I did it on the Brompton, which certainly made getting back easier! There was a French chap with a blue Brompton whose name I'm afraid I forgot (but a yacf type)...

There was a Finnish chap with a blue Brompton: Lotum.
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #829 on: 27 July, 2010, 10:10:49 am »
Brief bloggage this morning; I'll sort out the photos tonight and get some up, to include one or two awesome fire pics from the beach.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #830 on: 27 July, 2010, 10:20:37 am »
Twas a wonderul ride, despite the sore arse, knee and earwig infestation. 

It was good, wasn't it?  And it was nice to ride with you for much of the route - sorry we managed to lose you for the last bit.  I was getting a bit knackered and I think Wowbagger realised we really needed to make use of every advantage that physics, extra lardy stoker and a pannier full of cake and milk (some of which was even still in the bottle) gave us on the downhills.

Thanks to Wow and CL for putting up with my merry babble for the last third or so of the ride - it keeps me going to have someone to talk to.

T'was a pleasure, sir.  I was fairly surprised/impressed that both Wow and yourself managed to put up with me and my several of inpromptu stops in the last stretch with such good cheer - or at least a very convincing impersonation of it - when you must have both been at the 'let's get to the beach and find Annie NOW!' stage :)

« Reply #831 on: 27 July, 2010, 02:07:35 pm »
I did it on the Brompton, which certainly made getting back easier! There was a French chap with a blue Brompton whose name I'm afraid I forgot (but a yacf type)...
There was a Finnish chap with a blue Brompton: Lotum.

That would explain his mysterious accent. I think he mentioned - or I got it into my head - that he'd come from Paris, but of course that doesn't make him French...

« Reply #832 on: 27 July, 2010, 02:19:29 pm »
I was mightily impressed by the speed of our brommie riders, I had no idea they could go so fast! I suspect if I had one it wouldn't have made it to Dunwich with me as its rider though. Also I really have no idea how you guys managed to make it with such heavy loads, chapeau  ;D

« Reply #833 on: 27 July, 2010, 02:34:32 pm »
Was much fun, but ye gods, never again with that much luggage! Photos to follow when I escape the office (which won't be until Thursday at this rate)!
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #834 on: 27 July, 2010, 02:43:39 pm »
I was mightily impressed by the speed of our brommie riders, I had no idea they could go so fast! I suspect if I had one it wouldn't have made it to Dunwich with me as its rider though. Also I really have no idea how you guys managed to make it with such heavy loads, chapeau  ;D

I commuted for several years on my Brompton, and did pretty much the same speed that I do on my other bikes now.  I've just got the bog standard seat on it however, and I don't think I'd want to do 110 miles without some serious consideration of the ergonomics of the seat and bars.

Was much fun, but ye gods, never again with that much luggage! ...

I was impressed by the vast amount you appeared to be carrying, and all the stuff that eventually appeared from the luggage!  I don't think I'd want to carry that much stuff for a few miles, let alone 110+ !

Still, for once, I beat you somewhere, so it did have it's advantages (to me ;D).

I had to commute in on the Tram and Tube today.  Once I'd picked Talisker up from the cattery by bike and trailer I felt far too knackered to cycle into work.  A combination of distance cycled, sleep deprivation, and too much alcohol last night wrecked me!
Actually, it is rocket science.

pascalo

« Reply #835 on: 27 July, 2010, 03:34:21 pm »
Hello,

don't post here much, but I must say that you guys looked like the coziest round at the cafe.
Also my regards to the people that pushed their tandem out of Dunwich when I rode to the station.
Your cheerfulness while saying "We were last" is one of the things I admire.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #836 on: 27 July, 2010, 04:58:32 pm »
Maybe we should rename ourselves "Coziest Cycling Forum On The Web"?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #837 on: 27 July, 2010, 05:08:11 pm »
A cozy place for everyone with an interest in cake?

« Reply #838 on: 27 July, 2010, 05:10:03 pm »
I was mightily impressed by the speed of our brommie riders, I had no idea they could go so fast!

It's not too bad save in a headwind, where the more upright position hurts you (there's a lower set of bars but then you can't have the satisfyingly giant Touring Pannier), and when you're badly undergeared on a hill. It's OK on an urban commute where you can just bull up the occasional steep bit but in the country you get all the pain of fixed gear and none of the benefits.

I commuted for several years on my Brompton, and did pretty much the same speed that I do on my other bikes now.  I've just got the bog standard seat on it however, and I don't think I'd want to do 110 miles without some serious consideration of the ergonomics of the seat and bars.

I wouldn't have even considered it without a Brooks on it. Next time, for sure, bar-ends and clips-and-straps. Mind you, I said that last time.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #839 on: 27 July, 2010, 05:14:44 pm »
Brief bloggage this morning; I'll sort out the photos tonight and get some up, to include one or two awesome fire pics from the beach.

Ummm.. you realise you posted that you did last year's ride on a 'penny fahtring' on your blog...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #840 on: 27 July, 2010, 06:25:55 pm »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #841 on: 27 July, 2010, 06:31:46 pm »

« Reply #842 on: 27 July, 2010, 07:49:29 pm »
penny fahtring

::-) 

Ta.  :thumbsup:

Also "four out of the six eggs I’d bought from our chickens..."

Your chickens obviously drive a hard bargain.

:)
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #843 on: 27 July, 2010, 07:54:33 pm »
The YACF sub-editing dept strike again  :D

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #844 on: 27 July, 2010, 08:16:05 pm »
If there is a single creature in the world that will turn me into a screaming gibbering wreck, running fast in the opposite direction, it's ear-wigs.

How you could sleep in the same tent as one, that would be wigging about in your ear as soon as you fell asleep. Rather you than me.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #845 on: 27 July, 2010, 08:21:02 pm »
Ah ear-wigs I remember them from my camping days with me old folks.

Breakfast was get blow, add cornflakes and then pour milk on, then sit back and wait until they have crawled/swam out :)

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #846 on: 27 July, 2010, 08:29:22 pm »
I'm home. Have I won?

What an absolutely splendid ride! My train arrived at Lpoo St a little behind schedule but Butterfly, Clarion and Superstoker were there to met me. We met a few other YACFers on their way - a small spinney of Oakies, Mike, and a host of other cyclists looking as though they were heading In The Right Direction. Crinkly Lion arrived and after a little saddle-fettling we were away.

The journey to London Fields was uneventful but our arrival timely. Wobbly John was just off to get some Chinese food, so I asked him to get me some too and went into the pub and bought some beer. WJ didn't actually say he wanted a pint but I had a feeling that he might, so I bought him one anyway so we swapped beer for chow mein. Conversations were had with probably the biggest gathering of YACFers I've been privileged to meet, and at about 8.30 we set off.

I was explaining to CL that Felix Ormerod, an old school and, latterly, cycling chum of mine, lived near the route and I tried to remember which was Mildenhall Road. Suddenly there was Felix, cheering cyclists on. His wife and young son were there too as well as another chap I thought I recognised but couldn't put a name to. We stopped for a chat and then we continued, acutely aware that Team Slow were hurtling turgidly off into the distance.

The Lea Bridge Road was not as unpleasant as it has been in the past. The first major landmark when leaving London, the North Circular Road, was crossed, we trudged up through Epping Forest and then convened at the garage where yet more cake was distributed and I bought half a gallon of milk, a good deal of which escaped before the 100 mile mark. We crossed the M25, whizzed through Epping and eventually passed the Talbot pub, on the A414 at North Weald, at which point the ride becomes officially rural. The street lights disappear, so does most of the traffic and one can get down to the gorgeous business of simply pedalling, pedalling, pedalling the night away.

We were a little slower than last year and although we stopped a little before 11 at Moreton to wait for an absent Mr. Gates, it didn't dawn on me until it was really too late that I could have enjoyed a quick pint of something or other. However, Mr. Gates soon appeared, ordered a pint and then we had to wait some more while he finished it.

As we progressed, I felt it only right, knowing Essex fairly well as I do, that I should make the ride a bit of a guided Tour for CrinklyLion's benefit. So it was that I pointed out a number of schools at which I had taught chess at one time or another, as well as other significant landmarks. Chief of these was probably the Axe and Compasses at Aythorpe Roding which now has a blue plaque on the wall in honour of Jurek. Team Slow had a quick regroup in Dunmow where we might just have had time to get a quick curry at the Jalsa Ghar but didn't, and then it was into the wee small hours.

On arriving at Finchingfield we found an open pub, as well as a lot of cyclists around it. It was now almost 2 a.m. and a pint of orange juice and lemonade, washed down with a bag of crisps, was very welcome, although beer would have been better if they had been selling it. Crinkly and I then tackled Church Hill and it was no match for us. Crinkly had observed earlier in the evening that, heavily laden as everybody's bicycle was, between us, without luggage, we probably weighed more than anyone else with bike and luggage.

We completely forgot about the half-way stop at Sible Hedingham and it was only the appearance of Team Slow heading South that alerted us to the fact. We went in, found that there was almost no-one there, I scoffed a cup of soup, a couple of rolls and a banana and we were on our way again.

By this time it was pretty clear that some of our number were suffering. Quite apart from assorted knees, just after I'd popped Crinkly's 40mph cherry on the descent into Sudbury, we happened upon a rather forlorn looking Julian, cycling alone, who was pleased to see us as she didn't know the way. At the next junction, however, there was Charlotte and I was touchingly reminded of the scene from the House at Pooh Corner in which Rabbit, who had been lost in the mist at the top of the forest, was reunited with Tigger.

The Waldingfields and The Eleighs came and went and suddenly so did my alertness. Somewhere around Barking I hit a wall and lost all energy so tea was essential. At this point there were four of us: Damerell, AndrewC, CL and myself. I found the stove, water, about half the milk, the other half having escaped into CL's Ortlieb, but try as I might I couldn't find the bag containing the tea bags or cups. This was a disaster of the greatest magnitude but AndrewC saved the day with some bags containing something called lapsang souchong. We had some of this and if Douglas Adams has written about it I'm sure he would have said that it was entirely unlike tea. That, however, was of no importance as it contained something which seemed to be very like caffeine and I was awake, even though its flavour reminded me very much of some Godawful Russian Black tobacco with which I used to fill my pipe and make myself the most unpopular person in the common room at Poulton-le-Fylde College of Education.

Fortified, we fairly flew into Needham Market and found the lake and its lavatories, which were open but totally innocent of bog roll so many other cyclists having been there to evacuate before us. That didn't matter because I had taken my own. We returned to the task in hand and crossed the A140 and realised that we were now of an hour when we could expect Mere Mortals to be emerging from their beds. There were definite signs of life in Framlingham and 10 o'clock Peasenhall was certainly Up and Doing.

We stopped every so often so that Crinkly could sort out her cramping foot, and downhills and freewheeling were given over to reseating ourselves to alleviate discomfort, and even though we were astride a "Double Marathon", allegedly one of the strongest tandem frames known to man, I could feel it flexing like a willow in a hurricane under our combined weight. It was Truly Awesome.

After Peasenhall, we tackled the parched wastes of Nowhere Much and, on cue, just after a hill which was definitely tougher than Finchingfield, not least because it was covered in gravel and sand, we arrived at the sign saying Darsham 17 - some wag had added a magnetic 1 to the Tens column. Damerell was a bit concerned that others might find this too disheartening and was all for taking away the extra digit, but he decided to leave it when I threatened to move the 1 to the right of the 7.

And that was about it, really, save for the arrival at the beach and a welcome by the Multitudes. Annie, that Saintly Woman with the Magic Rolling Pin, was there to press calories on me, and I can honestly say that it was the first time in my life that I have had a pint of Tanglefoot or breakfast, followed by bread, cake, bacon rolls, baked beans...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #847 on: 27 July, 2010, 08:32:52 pm »
Damerell was a bit concerned that others might find this too disheartening and was all for taking away the extra digit, but he decided to leave it when I threatened to move the 1 to the right of the 7.

Also at that point it was 100 yards behind us and I didn't fancy any extra. :-)

« Reply #848 on: 27 July, 2010, 09:14:47 pm »
It was a long day for me, as the alarm went off at 3 am British Summer Time on Saturday morning, and I had just enough time to down a quick breakfast before rushing to Helsinki Airport. The flight arrived at London Heathrow at 9 am. Had a second breakfast at the airport, and then took the tube to Russell Square, and checked in at the hotel. After unfolding, assembling, and checking out the Brompton in the hotel room, I went out to get some lunch.

Started towards London Fields at 6 pm, following a route I had printed out from Google maps. For someone like me, coming from the deepest backwoods of Finland, the sheer volume of traffic in London is always  (even on an early Saturday evening) somewhat intimidating. And on top of that, you guys still insist on driving and riding on the wrong side of the road! About half-way through the journey, some native/local yacfers caught up with me, and I let them take the lead for the rest of the way.

This was the first time I've met yacfers in larger numbers. Butterfly very kindly provided the introductions. And CrinklyLion started feeding me with generous portions of delicious homemade cakes right at the start! One could not but feel very very welcome after such a warm reception! You guys are just as great IRL as you are online!  :)

The ambiguity about my nationality is strange. On LEL, people thought I was a bloody Yank, and now on the Dun Run someone thought I was a frigging Frenchman! I may well have a “mysterious accent”, but I don't think it sounds anything like Kenny Everett's classic Marcel Wave character. Anyhow, it was nice to see that at least Annie and Clarion got it right—they had probably had fewer beers than some of the others!  ;)

For me, coming from abroad, the big problem is getting the bike to the start (after that, it's just a question of pedalling). The Brompton is the easiest bike to fly with, and also the easiest bike to transport on the tube and trains, so it was an obvious choice. Admittedly, I have made some minor tweaks (Brooks saddle, Ergon grips/bar ends, clipless pedals), and with those a leisurely 200-km ride (such as the Dun Run) is not much more challenging than on a 'full-size' bike. People do have their prejudices, though, as both at the start and at Smithfield Market after the coach ride back to London, there were people wishing to shake my hand and making comments like, “I cannot believe that you did this on a 2-speed Brompton!”.

The ride with Team Slow went well. The weather was favourable, we had some tailwind most of the way, and we arrived at Dunwich at around 10:40 am. The only minor problem I had was that the front carrier block became loose, and for a moment I feared that I cannot remove the bag from the bike. Annie's warm welcome at the beach was another high point of the ride! Sadly, I had to make a quick exit, as I had booked a coach ride back, and they started loading the vans and the buses very soon after our arrival. For next time, I will have to try and figure out some sort of a lightweight camping kit and how to transport it on the Brompton.

So thanks again to everyone for making me feel very welcome! See you next time!
"There is nothing nothing nothing wrong with spending money on a bike."--R. Ballantine

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #849 on: 27 July, 2010, 09:26:16 pm »
A cozy place for everyone with an interest in cake?

Everything has been said now.  The forum may close. ;D
Getting there...