Author Topic: Etrex Legend HCX borked?  (Read 1083 times)

Etrex Legend HCX borked?
« on: 23 September, 2014, 01:03:59 pm »
I loaded some big .gpx files ( now suspected to be faulty) on my Etrex, and it no longer works. It just sits there saying acquiring satellites. I have tried the various clear data/reset options suggested on Garmin FAQs, including hard reset to remove all user data - no joy.
Anyone know of a more significant device reset or other fix for this state?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Etrex Legend HCX borked?
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2014, 01:48:10 pm »
Obvious question: You've left it for a decent amount of time (say, 20 minutes) with a good view of the sky?  Is it failing to see any signal at all, or just never getting a lock?  A hard reset (or severe crash) will clear the ephemeris data, so it may take a while for it to receive it all before it can begin to calculate a position.

There's something seriously fishy going on if a dodgy GPX file can break the GPS receiver, seems more likely to be coincidence.

« Reply #2 on: 23 September, 2014, 04:21:22 pm »
yes left for a couple of hours in the sun.
the comment about .gpx files came from Garmin themselves and it did seem to be the action that caused my problem.
Garmin say the unit is not going to restart now - buy a new one - but they would wouldnt they!

Just thought i'd try the the GPS enlightened before I give in

Barry

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #3 on: 23 September, 2014, 04:26:53 pm »
You can try re-installing the operating firmware and chipset firmware using WebUdater.
(I once had an etrex the was recovered by refresshing the chipset firmware)
If that does not work, Garmin will "repair" it (Supply you with a refurbished replacement) for £65.  :P