Author Topic: Cyclists with super bright death ray front lights  (Read 20037 times)

Re: Cyclists with super bright death ray front lights
« Reply #75 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:47:07 pm »
It's worth noting that the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations specifically prohibit lamps 'used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road'.

Now, while it may very well be true that some car headlights (especially the HID ones) may break this rule, I'm unconvinced that that gives us as cyclists carte blanche to dazzle other road users.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #76 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:50:03 pm »
It's worth noting that the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations specifically prohibit lamps 'used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road'.

Now, while it may very well be true that some car headlights (especially the HID ones) may break this rule, I'm unconvinced that that gives us as cyclists carte blanche to dazzle other road users.

I agree, however, I will dazzle them until they start paying attention and not doing the moronic and dangerous pulling out, nosing out, intimidating and not caring driving that they are prohibited from doing by the HC.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #77 on: 14 November, 2008, 05:28:34 pm »
I've never been dazzled by cycle lights while driving. Has anyone else?

I use the brightest lights I can afford and I now have LED envy after seeing Mike's Airbike: my 200 lumen front Dinotte seems puny in comparison. But I'm leaving my retina-burning rear Dinotte at home tonight for the FNRttC. I wouldn't want to annoy anyone.  ::-)
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #78 on: 14 November, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »
What I find strange is the number of people who think that LED light batteries should be almost everlasting, and so leave them in even when the superbright output has diminished to a dim glow.

It's annoyingly easy to do (if you are me). I have to confess I managed to do this on the Golden Pootle. I was so busy fettling other bits of the bike the night before that I completely forgot to charge the batteries after a week of commuting, and Jurek kindly pointed out that my light wasn't looking up to much. Needless to say the batteries went in the charger on my return home and I've now got a second back light so I can forget to charge that one up too  ::-)

« Reply #79 on: 14 November, 2008, 05:30:21 pm »
But I'm leaving my retina-burning rear Dinotte at home tonight for the FNRttC. I wouldn't want to annoy anyone.  ::-)

It's all right as long as you point it down a bit, innit  ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #80 on: 14 November, 2008, 07:52:40 pm »
I have an IQ Fly which is not only lovely and bright, but can also be adjusted from 'dipped' to 'straight ahead' to 'sizzling retina.'

These sounds like wonderful devices (especially the DIPPED idea). Hopefully they, and similar lamps, will spread, and the wall-of-retina-burn devices will diminish (or melt!).

When I bought my (last gen) Dinotte I was keen on the multiple settings, but sadly the switch is a BIT fiddly, more so with gloves on. So it's not yet my perfect light. I don't think the beam is at all shaped, so that's another minus.

As others have suggested, i know I'm guilty of forgetting the different environments other members are riding in. I HAVE ridden in urban jungle, but it's very rare. I sympathise if you are put at risk by SMIDSY every mile, instead of once-a-year. Often this doesn't come across in our posts - we just say
I Need This Kind of Lighting. I Hate This Other Kind
Likewise if you ride a lot alone on unlit roads, please consider the problems of a rider  who might one day be just in front/behind you.
(I once met a commuter with a mega-light and Stupidly-Big-Gears. This meant that his searchlight swayed back and forth, enough to make me actually nauseous. I was SLIGHTLY too slow to get away from him, so I dropped back. Then his rear light got me ... )

Like NSTN, I often drop off the back of groups at night on unlit roads. This tends to work OK, because:
- night speeds are often slower, so you don't need drafting to stick together.
- the mega-lights up ahead often give you nice advanced warning of hazards.
- you get a better peaceful night-riding experience.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #81 on: 14 November, 2008, 10:23:24 pm »
Certainly the Solidlights are more than adequate.

I notice that our most prolific night time rider, Mr Teethgrinder, manages quite well with a £10 Tesco LED torch.

I used a Solidlight last year. It was good, until you got over 20mph. Then you couldn't really see far enough up the road. It was the best in it's day. But it's day never lasted very long. I was very annoyed that this £160 light never even lasted one year.
I also use a Blackburn X6. I really bought it for my mountain bike. It's a bit low powered compared to most off road lights, but is a good compromise for value for money, run time and brightness. I only use it on my hack bike, not my Dave Yates, as the battery is rough on the paintwork.
I'm running some Tesco torches at the moment. They are much better than the Solidlight. I'll do 30mph in a country lane without my fingers poised over the brake levers. They are the best value for money lights I've ever had. But they aren't "cycle lights" so they would be*. The biggest drawback is the low runtime. I use about 3 pairs of Lithium batteries on a 600 at the moment, so that's quite expensive and a bit of a nuisance. To save batteries, I can use my Smart Polaris II when I don't need so much light and save my Tesco torches for descents or whatever.
I'm planning on wiring a Tesco torch to my Schmidt to see what happens. Also, I might try and find a good Li-Ion battery and wire it to a pair of torches for a good battery light set up. For £10 a go, they are worth experimenting on. They seem reliable enough. I may even buy a D cell 3W torch. After all, I used to have two Ever Ready lamps on my handlebars when I started Audaxing, so that would be a weight 4 D cells. Then buy some lithium D cell batteries if I can find any.

* I agree with what Jack Eason told me. They put a picture of a bicycle on the package and put the price up. That's why I never buy bidons from bike shops. they are much cheaper in sports shops. Especially in sales.

border-rider

« Reply #82 on: 14 November, 2008, 10:26:09 pm »

I used a Solidlight last year. It was good, until you got over 20mph. Then you couldn't really see far enough up the road. It was the best in it's day. But it's day never lasted very long. I was very annoyed that this £160 light never even lasted one year.......

I'm running some Tesco torches at the moment. They are much better than the Solidlight. I'll do 30mph in a country lane without my fingers poised over the brake levers.

depends what you like.  I've never had a problem descending with the Solidlights, whereas narrow-beam bright lights really scare me on fast descents

« Reply #83 on: 14 November, 2008, 10:35:53 pm »
I used a Solidlight last year. It was good, until you got over 20mph. Then you couldn't really see far enough up the road. It was the best in it's day. But it's day never lasted very long. I was very annoyed that this £160 light never even lasted one year.
I also use a Blackburn X6. I really bought it for my mountain bike. It's a bit low powered compared to most off road lights, but is a good compromise for value for money, run time and brightness. I only use it on my hack bike, not my Dave Yates, as the battery is rough on the paintwork.
I'm running some Tesco torches at the moment. They are much better than the Solidlight. I'll do 30mph in a country lane without my fingers poised over the brake levers. They are the best value for money lights I've ever had. But they aren't "cycle lights" so they would be*. The biggest drawback is the low runtime. I use about 3 pairs of Lithium batteries on a 600 at the moment, so that's quite expensive and a bit of a nuisance. To save batteries, I can use my Smart Polaris II when I don't need so much light and save my Tesco torches for descents or whatever.
I'm planning on wiring a Tesco torch to my Schmidt to see what happens. Also, I might try and find a good Li-Ion battery and wire it to a pair of torches for a good battery light set up. For £10 a go, they are worth experimenting on. They seem reliable enough. I may even buy a D cell 3W torch. After all, I used to have two Ever Ready lamps on my handlebars when I started Audaxing, so that would be a weight 4 D cells. Then buy some lithium D cell batteries if I can find any.

I have Smart Polaris II lights and think they're great; very compact & bright.  I'll take a look at the Tesco torches.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #84 on: 14 November, 2008, 10:40:17 pm »
What I find strange is the number of people who think that LED light batteries should be almost everlasting, and so leave them in even when the superbright output has diminished to a dim glow.

It's annoyingly easy to do (if you are me). I have to confess I managed to do this on the Golden Pootle. I was so busy fettling other bits of the bike the night before that I completely forgot to charge the batteries after a week of commuting, and Jurek kindly pointed out that my light wasn't looking up to much. Needless to say the batteries went in the charger on my return home and I've now got a second back light so I can forget to charge that one up too  ::-)

Nstn, sounds your lights get rather more use than mine :-[  So don't worry, I'll let you off ;)

Andy

« Reply #85 on: 14 November, 2008, 10:46:10 pm »

depends what you like.  I've never had a problem descending with the Solidlights, whereas narrow-beam bright lights really scare me on fast descents

I never had a problem descending with a Solidlight. It was better than what I had before. I remeber the days of fillament bulbs when I avoided lanes when cycling to and from events. It's just that I feel more relaxed when I can see further up the road and dont need to concentrate so hard. The beam of the Tesco torch will easily illuminate the width of a country lane from about 3 meters off your front wheel onwards.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #86 on: 14 November, 2008, 11:22:15 pm »
They put a picture of a bicycle on the package and put the price up. That's why I never buy bidons from bike shops. they are much cheaper in sports shops. Especially in sales.
You do have to hunt around a bit though. It can be confusing looking at a water bottle and thinking "Is this a bidon I see before me?"
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #87 on: 14 November, 2008, 11:26:12 pm »
That's why I never buy bidons from bike shops. they are much cheaper in sports shops. Especially in sales.

Blag them for free from the Spanners at the end of Tour de France stages.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #88 on: 14 November, 2008, 11:36:01 pm »
That's why I never buy bidons from bike shops. they are much cheaper in sports shops. Especially in sales.

Blag them for free from the Spanners at the end of Tour de France stages.

Indeed. Although I have singularly failed to get to the end of a Tour de France stage for free!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #89 on: 15 November, 2008, 09:56:03 pm »
My main lamp is a Lumi halide. Most of my commute is unlit A road or out in the sticks.  I use it in town as well, and on an unlit shared use path.  On the unlit shared use path I quite often get sworn at by other cyclists, even though I dip the beam right down on this bit of the commute.  I'ts angled very slightly to the left, so am pretty sure it doesn't dazzle drivers.

This thread is making me feel bad  :(

Mind you, the last bloke who was really sweary had a feeble green LED on the front so I suspect he went from being able to see his front tyre to being able to see nothing at all as I approached.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #90 on: 17 November, 2008, 08:06:23 am »
I bagged a Tesco torch yesterday, they've gone up to £12 now.  It fits my lockblock holder (which normally has a Fenix P3D in it) a treat.

Most impressed and I do love a bargain.  I'm going to get another lockblock for the Tesco so I should be well sorted.

« Reply #91 on: 17 November, 2008, 10:44:20 pm »
I bagged a Tesco torch yesterday, they've gone up to £12 now.  It fits my lockblock holder (which normally has a Fenix P3D in it) a treat.

Most impressed and I do love a bargain.  I'm going to get another lockblock for the Tesco so I should be well sorted.

EH!? ??? :D

Psst!
Wassa lockblock holder?

Watch the battery runtime on that torch.
Keep your eyes peeled in Tescos for the Lithium batteries. They put the price down to under £4 for 4 sometimes. Christmas is often a good time to get battery bargains.

« Reply #92 on: 19 November, 2008, 11:09:57 pm »
Gandalf, I'd like to know what a lockblock holder is too. :)

I got a Tesco torch tonight £10.  Whoa - it's bright :thumbsup:  The bulb is a Cree (3W) like the Fenix.  I've attached it to a temporary bracket; look forward to giving it a go.

Craig

« Reply #93 on: 19 November, 2008, 11:24:08 pm »
A lockblock is basically a rubber block with curved bits in it, and a couple of velcro straps. It lets you mount a torch onto something at right angles to it, eg your handlebars. They are actually designed for using in sets of 3 to hold a U-lock, but I think they are more popular for torches.
Cost about £7 each here: TwoFish Lockblocks MTB Flashlight Holder - FenixTorch.co.uk
Or $16 for 3 here (free postage): http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=25_66

« Reply #94 on: 19 November, 2008, 11:33:51 pm »
A lockblock is basically a rubber block with curved bits in it, and a couple of velcro straps. It lets you mount a torch onto something at right angles to it, eg your handlebars. They are actually designed for using in sets of 3 to hold a U-lock, but I think they are more popular for torches.
Cost about £7 each here: TwoFish Lockblocks MTB Flashlight Holder - FenixTorch.co.uk
Or $16 for 3 here (free postage): http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=25_66

Thanks - yes, just the trick.   :)