Author Topic: London Orbital 2019  (Read 5968 times)

Martin

Re: London Orbital 2019
« Reply #25 on: 10 July, 2019, 11:17:15 am »
The perm is the same route as last year, there is a shop in Cranleigh, a station ticket machine / golf club in Hildenborough and a shop in Leaden Roding; but as it says in the blurb you have to time your ride around the Gravesend ferry sailings so there should not be a problem getting receipts.

The 2019 route takes a longer route around Mid Sussex compared to last year. Although I thoroughly enjoyed last year's it's a shame the iconic early morning Windsor Great Park section is no more. I'll be SeaShoreing instead  8)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #26 on: 10 July, 2019, 11:53:48 am »
I note some COR at Nazeing on the 2019 route, assume someone has picked that up?  (Right turn just before The Sun PH, 179.5km)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #27 on: 11 July, 2019, 09:16:26 am »
I note some COR at Nazeing on the 2019 route, assume someone has picked that up?  (Right turn just before The Sun PH, 179.5km)

The footpath has gone from the latest gpx  emailed to entrants.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #28 on: 11 July, 2019, 09:23:32 am »

The footpath has gone from the latest gpx  emailed to entrants.

:thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #29 on: 12 July, 2019, 08:25:52 am »
See you all at the Gravesend control 📋
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Phil W

« Reply #30 on: 12 July, 2019, 06:39:13 pm »
See you at the Flaunden control. I should there from about 2:30pm till 7:00pm.  I'm riding there and back joining the route from between St Albans and Bedmond.  If the faster riders overtake there, they will probably look in better shape than I!

Phil W

« Reply #31 on: 13 July, 2019, 10:28:09 pm »
Had a great time helping at Flaunden today.   Steady stream of riders throughout the afternoon and early evening.  The time flew by. About 14 riders still to come in at the end of my shift, and saw four of them including another laid back lounger as I rode a bit of the route in reverse going home.

Best of luck to those still out there riding.

« Reply #32 on: 14 July, 2019, 07:57:19 am »
Route changes made the ride even better than last year, getting though Gravesend early was much easier and efficient. It helped that the ferry was bigger.

All cafés chosen were well prepared for our arrival particularly the second who were getting the varied meals out so quickly. Great to see friendly faces running Chilterns control, again efficient and very nice coffee. The veggie chilli at the end went down well, as for the ride everyone I saw on the road appeared to have bigger objectives later this year meaning a high pace and probably my quickest 300.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #33 on: 14 July, 2019, 08:52:16 am »
A really good route, great weather, controls, hq and arrivee. Big thanks to Paul and all the volunteers.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #34 on: 14 July, 2019, 08:59:11 am »
Was the diversion after the ferry manageable?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #35 on: 14 July, 2019, 12:17:53 pm »
A lot of fun was has at Flaunden control. A steady trickle of riders sitting at a single table made for a nice atmosphere.

Audax does seem to bring out the best in people.

L

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #36 on: 14 July, 2019, 12:32:24 pm »
Was very impressed to get the route diversion details via email when we were on the Ferry - well done Paul.    Though We were soon a bit like lost sheep once we had got over the footbridge 600m in, as we left our mobiles in our pockets,  but were very soon back on route.

Paul has done an even better job this year for the 80 entrants orbiting London, with mainly quiet scenic country roads.    The roads got a bit busier in the Nazeing area, but soon quietened down again.     The Cafes, the manned Ferry crossing and Village Hall were very quick and efficient.     The food at the halfway Cafe was so delicious and plentiful, it was very easy to overeat (and I did 🙄).   Starting nearer to Gravesend meant that there were only 3 non cycling passengers on our crossing at 11am, and we got 12 bikes on board.

Many thanks to Paul and his team for a great day

Matins Seashore 200 also had a good Entry, so Paul and Martin were kept very busy

« Reply #37 on: 14 July, 2019, 05:48:00 pm »
Thanks to Paul and and all his helpers! Mark, thanks for leading me around until i packed.

Phil W

« Reply #38 on: 14 July, 2019, 06:05:16 pm »
Was the diversion after the ferry manageable?

There was an couple in blue tops, the man was Irish; who got lost around that bit, but they made it to Flaunden in plenty of time.

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #39 on: 14 July, 2019, 07:38:12 pm »
Thanks to Paul and and all his helpers! Mark, thanks for leading me around until i packed.

The other way round mate! Thanks for pulling me! And also bringing my attention to the fact Wilkyboy had named me as having some involvement in the Fenlands dog pile! We must have words Nick! I do not wish to take credit for the bringing together of the three of you so closely. Merely a witness to the special occasion.

I’d also like to thank Paul for putting on another epic event with 🌶 🌶 🌶 chilli. And for finding that box of beer in the fridge—the answer to my prayers made all along the entire hot and sunny 300km. And a third thank you for knocking on my tent at 8.30 with a half pint of rice pudding in hand and my bike in the other. How embarrassing!

Controls were all ace. I love a volunteer-run control and wish I could have spent longer at Flaunden enjoying the craic and getting to try a frankfurter. Don’t hide those things next time!

Instagram video here https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3ODcwNDY1MDE3NDE4MzUw?igshid=13zp1tbv2u94z&story_media_id=2086618594912859880

Mark

Phil W

« Reply #40 on: 14 July, 2019, 08:24:15 pm »
Sorry we were having too much fun playing hide the frankfurter (oooh eeeeer)

« Reply #41 on: 15 July, 2019, 11:25:41 am »
This was a real tough one for me and I'm still not really sure why. Distance should've been ok, and it didn't seem that hilly. Overambition definitely played a part - I really wanted to finish in daylight and get some sleep before a Sunday event, which in retrospect was totally unrealistic for me. (After the Green & Yellow Fields I think some part of my brain decided "300s finish at about 8pm" was a law of nature).

First stretch in the morning down to the ferry was lovely - particularly the view from that ridge road. I was pushing hard (for me) to try to get the kms in while the day stayed cool - a handful of steep sections but all very manageable. A roads for the start/end and lanes during the daytime was a nice piece of route design.

Stopped for food before the ferry - not really hungry but having heeded the organiser's warning - and somehow things got worse even though my legs were fine. Diverted after the ferry - watched the blue top pair whizz past me only to take the wrong exit at a roundabout, but by the time I'd thought to yell anything they'd gone. Somehow ended up having to go through a wheat field around the edge of a road closure for gas works, guided by an enthusiastic family (wish I'd thought to actually show the son my brevet card) - got rather COR at moments, and picked up an ear in my jockey wheel for my troubles. Bumped into a cheerful chap doing the "double dynamo" who assumed I was doing the dynamo, and told him about the orbital.

Struggled with my eyes somehow (felt they were hurting with the sunglasses on) and in retrospect I must have washed the sunscreen off my face while trying to rinse them, because I must've got sunburned on my face (at the time just felt hot). Had a more substantial lunch at the café control (seeing blue top pair again) and settled in for a long slog westbound - I knew 60km or so had been my limit on previous rides but was hoping I could stretch it.

There was a shop stop that I should've gone for as I was already overheating, but with my GPS showing 26km to the next control as a 24-hour Starbucks I dragged myself onwards, visions of an ice cold frappuccino taking on mythic proportions in my head. As the only(?) recumbent this must be where Laid back lounger passed me? One last climb, then arrived at the village hall and went through the four stages of grief for lack of ice - a volunteer sat me down with a big jug of squash and patiently explained the way to a pub that would have ice - sadly in the state I was in it went in one ear and out the other. Saw the blue top pair for one last chat and thought seriously about packing - if it had been possible to collect my tent and get home before the last train I would've done it with no regrets.

As it was, I wasn't sure a train would actually help - taking the Met into central London would've taken hours. I seriously contemplated following the route to Maidenhead and then taking a train to Guildford, but even at my current pace that wasn't going to save a lot of time. Made a couple of climbs, even with the dynamo on, and found a pub with ice and fancy pizza, which somehow was a perfect fit. Blue tops were well past by then and it was fully dark, but I was sometimes changing places with a rider with flashing lights - they always give me a headache, but I still felt a slight twinge when they peeled off to the station at Beaconsfield. I assumed I was bringing up the rear from then on.

Past Maidenhead I was actually able to relax and start enjoying the ride a little again - full moon was a good piece of planning, and while the distance was intimidating (and I wasn't really dressed right) the straight A-road route was easy to follow. 60km felt like a lot at that point but I never seriously doubted that I'd make it - the numbers gradually ticked down and eventually I arrived - to a ghost town, Paul seemingly asleep on the stage. Not confident in my eyes - and not wanting to wake him even if I was right - I left my card and an email, but then a few minutes later he was up and about. Realising that I needed to be up at 6AM, I hurried to my tent.

Lessons learned are really the ones that I should've known already. My body is pretty good at only kicking up a fuss when I actually do need to stop; I should listen better, 26km is too far to press on if I'm going to be shaking when I get there. (Conversely I should've taken the earlier ferry; there wasn't a whole lot on the other side but I passed at least two pubs and a Premier store that would've done the job). I knew I didn't have time to do both this and my Sunday event (and indeed I was a wreck on Sunday) and that worried me the whole way round; I should've been realistic and either given up on that, DNSed this, or switched onto the 200. I loved the idea of the London Orbital and that blinded me to the cold logistics of it all. And trying to fit in a test of my cyclocamping setup on top was madness.

The one really new part of the experience was the whole "audax is a mental game" thing. Every other ride my legs have been creaking before my head was, but this time it was all mental - maybe just down to not getting enough sleep in a tent on Friday night? In any case, I was just struggling to get out of my head the whole time, and miserable for no clear reason for about half the ride. I found this a harder ride than Flatlands despite being half the distance - I've gotten kind of casual about 200s over the last month or so, and maybe expected a 300 to be equally smooth, so this was a sharp reminder to respect the distance.

Still, any ride you walk away from - ultimately I got round in time, RRtY attempt remains on track, and all that. Thanks to Paul and all the helpers (and apologies for my grouchiness at Flaunden), and hoping to do this again in a year where I've planned my time a bit better.

Phil W

« Reply #42 on: 15 July, 2019, 11:42:48 am »

There was a shop stop that I should've gone for as I was already overheating, but with my GPS showing 26km to the next control as a 24-hour Starbucks I dragged myself onwards, visions of an ice cold frappuccino taking on mythic proportions in my head. As the only(?) recumbent this must be where Laid back lounger passed me? One last climb, then arrived at the village hall

Yes,  I was not that long departed from the village hall on my way home.  It was between Flaunden and the Plough pub at Belsize that I saw you.

« Reply #43 on: 15 July, 2019, 12:40:58 pm »
Yes,  I was not that long departed from the village hall on my way home.  It was between Flaunden and the Plough pub at Belsize that I saw you.

Aha - I remember a bit of a hi and wave at some point around there - was pretty dead on my feet (back?) after the climb at Kings Langley, so may not have been terribly coherent.

Phil W

« Reply #44 on: 15 July, 2019, 03:39:35 pm »
That's it. You weren't that responsive, and clearly just wanted to reach the control, which wasn't far away at all.  If it helps I notice that hill on the road bike as well as when laidback.

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #45 on: 15 July, 2019, 09:25:20 pm »
Lessons learned are really the ones that I should've known already. My body is pretty good at only kicking up a fuss when I actually do need to stop; I should listen better, 26km is too far to press on if I'm going to be shaking when I get there. (Conversely I should've taken the earlier ferry; there wasn't a whole lot on the other side but I passed at least two pubs and a Premier store that would've done the job). I knew I didn't have time to do both this and my Sunday event (and indeed I was a wreck on Sunday) and that worried me the whole way round; I should've been realistic and either given up on that, DNSed this, or switched onto the 200. I loved the idea of the London Orbital and that blinded me to the cold logistics of it all. And trying to fit in a test of my cyclocamping setup on top was madness.

The one really new part of the experience was the whole "audax is a mental game" thing. Every other ride my legs have been creaking before my head was, but this time it was all mental - maybe just down to not getting enough sleep in a tent on Friday night? In any case, I was just struggling to get out of my head the whole time, and miserable for no clear reason for about half the ride. I found this a harder ride than Flatlands despite being half the distance - I've gotten kind of casual about 200s over the last month or so, and maybe expected a 300 to be equally smooth, so this was a sharp reminder to respect the distance.

This is what it's all about!  If it were easy everyone would be doing it, as they say.  But as I say, with every event you do (and it sounds like this is your first year - it is mine too) you learn something.  I am amazed at what I've picked up in the last year with respect to all the different pieces that need to fit together to make one an experienced audaxer.  A lot of that comes from learning on the job, and you can pick up more by listening to the "veterans" tell their war stories (Paul is a great source!).  We fret over a lot of little things, but in the end, you just need to keep pedalling your pace, keep eating and keep drinking (as the vets say). 

Glad to hear you made it round and you were not alone in thinking it was a toughie compared to Fenland Friends - I thought the same.  But we had great conditions for Fenland this year and Orbital has hills!  Sunscreen will definitely burn your eyes - happens to me when I rub them.  And proper sleep the week of matters!  Hence why I brought my tent this time rather than try and sleep on a hard floor (however I still failed to get a good night's rest as the pub beckoned - worth it!).

« Reply #46 on: 16 July, 2019, 05:52:36 pm »
...apologies for my grouchiness at Flaunden

Rest assured we didn't experience you as grouchy! Just knackered

Chapeau for pressing on and completing. I've seen you grinding it out on other rides and guessed you'd do it.

L

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #47 on: 17 July, 2019, 07:56:38 am »
eventually I arrived - to a ghost town, Paul seemingly asleep on the stage. Not confident in my eyes - and not wanting to wake him even if I was right - I left my card and an email, but then a few minutes later he was up and about.

It's not just riders that get the dozies! :)

Well done for keeping it together, Mr L. As you say, the mental game is a big element of this Audaxing lark, recognising when you need to rest up for a while before pushing on, and how to go about it. As I recall you rolled in around 1:30... in fact you had bags of time... last rider in was 02:50... the control closed at 02:52! "Am I in time", he called out as he arrived, "You'll have to run into the building", I said, which he duly did!

Running the Orbital and Seashore just a couple of weeks after the Ditchling Devil was a bit of a stretch, as the Orbital had a lot of changes and the Seashore was a new event, but it all came together on the night thanks to the good nature of the riders and the suppport of staff at the control cafes and helpers at Gravesend and Flaunden on the Orbital. I'd especially like to thank LiamFitz for leading the charge at Flaunden, Bradley Owen at Gravesend, and Martin Malins for his support at Alfold (I woke up on Sunday morning to find the washing up done and Martin busy hoovering.... what a star!), but all of the helpers contributed and had fun doing so. Thanks again, we - I - couldn't have done it without you. 

If youve thought about helping out on events but havent worked up to taking the plunge, do give it a go. Helping at events is an essential element of the "club" ethos of audax and ultimately audax depends on members supporting events not just by riding but by helping at events occasionally. Just think what we could do if every member helped at just one event a year! So if you find yourself at a loose end or otherwise are planning a weekend "off the bike", consider contacting your local event organisers to see if they need some help if only for a couple of hours. You'll be made welcome and fun is guaranteed. One thing is for sure, everybody you meet will be pleased to see you!